It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

House Approves Iran Bill 405 - 1

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 01:15 PM
link   

House approves Iran bill 405-1

thehill.com

The House overwhelmingly approved a resolution Friday in support of Iranian dissidents as that country’s top cleric warned protesters to end demonstrations.

The resolution was approved in a 405-1 vote, with two members voting present. Rep. Ron Paul (R-Texas) was the only lawmaker opposed to the resolution. Reps. Keith Ellison (D-Minn.) and David Loebsack (D-Iowa) voted present.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: fixed headline

[edit on 6/19/2009 by JacKatMtn]

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 01:15 PM
link   
And I thought we were staying out of the whole Iran mess? Apparently not.

I also thought it worthwhile to mention that the ONLY no vote came from none other than Ron Paul.

“This resolution is not about American interests,” said Rep. Howard Berman (D-Calif.), chairman of the House Foreign Relations Committee. “It is about American values that I believe are universal.”

Further, it's important to note that this resolution really doesn't do much of anything -- except voice "our" opinion on Iran's protests.

Here's the resolution:

Expressing support for all Iranian citizens who embrace the values of freedom, human rights, civil liberties, and rule of law, and for other purposes.
Resolved, That the House of Representatives-
(1) expresses its support for all Iranian citizens who embrace the values of freedom, human rights, civil liberties, and rule of law;
(2) condemns the ongoing violence against demonstrators by the Government of Iran and pro-government militias, as well as the ongoing government suppression of independent electronic communication through interference with the Internet and cellphones; and
(3) affirms the universality of individual rights and the importance of democratic and fair elections.
Link: firstread.msnbc.msn.com...

thehill.com

[edit on 19-6-2009 by lpowell0627]

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 01:28 PM
link   
You know, call me crazy, but why the hell are they spending all this time debating the opinion on how another country chooses to handle its problems.

HELLO we have problems of our own that need tending, people!!

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 01:40 PM
link   
I think we should support the Iranian students in every way possible.... as long as our backwards government keeps its hands out of it.

They will twist this issue round and round until it meets their own ends. Im sure they want to get Mahmoud Ahmadineja out of office, but its never going to happen through bureaucracy. Thats like trying to teach lil kimmy a lesson through sanctions. People like these cant be reasoned with.

The election probably wasn't rigged anyway. Half the student population probably cant even vote, so calling this election unfair is a hasty decision. Obviously the US will use that as leverage to wage some type of war or another.

Time to stop policing the world, especially since you cant maintain your own country.

[edit on 19-6-2009 by Kevin_X2]

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Why pass this motion?

Because the Americans are going to get a little more involved than most think.

"Joint exercises", eh? bwahahaha

Another carrier group sent there, satellites re-tasked - I feel the same way I did when Colin Powell sat in front of the UN.

They're going to use this chance to get rid of Ahmediji-jihad, me thinks..

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Wow our country is crumbling and we get this bill for a vote in a matter of hours. WHY NOT GET MORE IMPORTANT BILLS DONE THIS FAST YOU FREAKS!!!!!!! God our government sucks. We have our own issues we need to tackle forget about Iran. Try putting that effort into something that matters....

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 01:46 PM
link   
support foreign dissidents and call domestic dissidents potential terroists?

WOW, hypocrisy at it's highest form!

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by lpowell0627

House approves Iran bill 405-1

thehill.com

The House overwhelmingly approved a resolution Friday in support of Iranian dissidents as that country’s top cleric warned protesters to end demonstrations.

The resolution was approved in a 405-1 vote, with two members voting present. Rep. Ron Paul (R-Texas) was the only lawmaker opposed to the resolution. Reps. Keith Ellison (D-Minn.) and David Loebsack (D-Iowa) voted present.

Mod Edit: fixed headline

[edit on 6/19/2009 by JacKatMtn]

Wonderful. More intereference on America's part? I really get sick of our attitude. It's already bitten us in the ass more than once, but we still keep going thinking it's our god given right to go out and save the world from tyranny.

Any interference could successfully [Inset obscenity here] the Iranian's possible revolution. So thanks Big Brother for saving the Iranian people once again

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Here, Here!

Good catch MA.

What if just brought them all over here?

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by lpowell0627

Expressing support for all Iranian citizens who embrace the values of freedom, human rights, civil liberties, and rule of law, and for other purposes.
Resolved, That the House of Representatives-
(1) expresses its support for all Iranian citizens who embrace the values of freedom, human rights, civil liberties, and rule of law;
(2) condemns the ongoing violence against demonstrators by the Government of Iran and pro-government militias, as well as the ongoing government suppression of independent electronic communication through interference with the Internet and cellphones; and
(3) affirms the universality of individual rights and the importance of democratic and fair elections.
Link: firstread.msnbc.msn.com...

My god that's like looking into a mirror and seeing that exact same stuff happening in Western countries. This has to be the single most hypocritical statement I have ever seen coming out of the US, or any other country for that matter. Seriously, just replace the word "Iran" with a country of your choice and the exact same is happening there.

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Ok, look, when Ron Paul is the ONLY one against something that tells us we have to step back and look at this again.

On the surface I support the Iranians, I believe the average person wants freedom and they want their voices heard, I also thinks it's obvious that Ahmednijad (sp?) rigged the election.

But with the idea that Mr. Paul is the only one against this I have to think there is more to it than typical "America supporting people fighting for freedom."

Call me crazy, but don't you think there might be a chance that clandestine elements in our Government were responsible for instigating and provoking this uprising which just happens to be destabilizing the one Middle Eastern country we haven't been able to mess with yet????

It wouldn't be the first time we've used agent provocateurs or psychological warfare to destabilize an unfriendly country.

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Shadowflux

You're crazy! But I agree with you.

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by brokenheadphonez

You're crazy!

You're probably right lol

But the one thing I found most fascinating about the uprising in Iran is how tightly controlled most aspects of Iranian life usually are. here I was under the impression that the Iranian government was rather strict yet the citizenry wasted no time in rioting.

Normal logic would dictate that citizens of an oppressive government would be afraid to rise up against it unless they were sure it was a universal sentiment and had plenty of encouragement.

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 03:36 PM
link   

... Until they got pissed off enough? Any other single parents in here will understand!!

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 03:48 PM
link   
I just passed a resolution by myself with a vote of 1-0.

The resolution states:

Use of old legalize and terrible grammar, separation of subjects from verbs. Resolved, by I:

1) Wasting time passing writing on paper that supports a stance;
2) Doesn't accomplish anything;
3) This is the game politicians play, we now see it all the time;
4) America and the world has to wake up.

...that has just as much meaning as the House Bill.

Sometimes I think I should stop studying law. The more I learn, the more ridiculous it gets.

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 09:00 PM
link   
If you all will excuse me, I have a motion to pass myself!

/ten lbs lighter..

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by mrsdudara

government is all smoke and mirrors

they don't work for you, they work for themselves

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Just thought that I would point out the problem>reaction>solution going on here. I'm personally all for the freedom of the Iranian people and I support their protest. I was thinking though, doesn't the US have a history that goes something like Economic hitmen>jackals>military?

Are we witnessing a false flag in the form of the US exerting influence in the area and stirring up civil unrest?

I like to think that this is for real though. Even in situations where the people are rallied behind deceptive provocateur groups, there is an underlying real-to-life desire to become free and eliminate the beaurocrats. Sad part is, they tend not to get the freedom they desire, but rather the solution that the PTB intended which are diametrically opposed to the protester's best interest.

Either way, I am sending out a big congratulations to the Iranian people for standing up against tremendous opposition. You people have got some balls. I watched the news on CNN this morning and as they played the sounds of the city at night I couldn't help thinking, "That sounds exactly like the soundtrack to Hell."

Good luck!

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 07:08 PM
link   
You know what?
I was just thinking

How much sovereignty does America think Iran has if they passed a bill about the politics of a foreign allegedly sovereign nation?

Is Ahmenajabad(however you spell it) just a puppet?
Is this all just a puppet show?

I mean think about it
He didn't even speak against this bill, doesn't that speak volumes?????

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by tjeffersonsghost

Why wasn't this bill at least 1000 pages? Oh wait it doesn't matter anyway as they don't read them in the first place!

i've got a bill for them. Increase tariffs by at least 10 percent. Actually DO SOMETHING for the middle class which is all but gone.

I don't know what the next elections will bring...but I hope we vote out all the rich scumbags...the lawyers...the yale/harvard/duke graduates and get someone who really works for the common man in this country!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join