It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Military Tracking North Korean Ship Suspected of Proliferating Weapons Material

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
CX

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Military Tracking North Korean Ship Suspected of Proliferating Weapons Material

www.foxnews.com

The U.S. military is tracking a flagged North Korean ship suspected of proliferating weapons material in violation of a U.N. Security Council resolution passed last Friday, FOX News has learned.

The ship, Kang Nam, left a port in North Korea Wednesday and could be carrying weaponry, missile parts or nuclear materials. The U.S. military has been tracking it since its departure.

"It is believed to be 'of interest'," a senior U.S. official told FOX News.

This is the first suspected "proliferator" that the U.S. and its allies have tracked from North Korea since the United Nations
(visit the link for the full news article)

CX

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 01:20 PM
link   
This a developing story at the moment.

I know i have recently voiced my opinions about the "coulds" and the "maybes" constantly being reported, but this one seems to have drawn a little more attention on the news.

It still seems a little sketchy about what is on this ship, but it does appear that the US is actualy tracking one right now, and debating what action to take.

I'm not sure what action they really can take apart from either go along with the UN's rulings or not.

I just can't see how they can carry out a full check without incident?

CX.

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Just pieces of the puzzle...
Seems like all of these events are staged from an unknown shadow..
One move in the big board of a Chess Game..finally ending with a checkmate ...known as war.
A war ...that will entail with the destruction of the world was we know it and reconstructed with...only god knows. I pray ..no such things happen.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 01:48 PM
link   
I am sensing something strange about this situation.

The fact that the U.S. is "tracking" this ship is interesting, but the wording
is even more so. "It is believed to be of interest." Very low-key.

But you can bet they (intelligence) know more than they're saying.

We don't need an "incident" right now. But we have to be wary, right ?

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 01:57 PM
link   
NK is stupid, but are they really stupid enough to try and start something with us?

Wait, I forgot who I was talking about. The korean version of Don King is really that crazy. Blow it out of the water now and claim it was shooting at us.

CX

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Up till now we've just heard about what the possibilities could be, but as this is the first time the US has actualy targeted a ship for tracking (or at least the first we've heard of), i wonder how much more nudging Kim will need?

Part of me feels that the US is just prodding NK a little more until they turn round and try to smack them one, then all hell will break loose.

Then again, my mind keeps flashing back to the "Iraq could use WMD in 45 minutes" that led us to Iraq. You don't know who to believe.

CX.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 02:04 PM
link   
I just heard on CNN that the U.S says they wont forcefully board the ship.
But,it would direct it to the nearest port,and that country would then board and search the ship.

That would all be good and well,but wouldnt that intale N.Korea complying with being "directed" into said port?

I wonder what possible action would be taken if the ship refused and kept heading to N.Korea.

Korea has gone on record saying any boarding of thier ships,would be considered an act of war.

I hope this dosent become a flashpoint for another needless war.

And I say needless,in the sense that the U.S dosent have to be the ones to enforce the U.N resolution.There are other countries that can take the lead for a change.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Any reports to where its headed ?

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Wasn't there TWO missiles on the move not too long ago? One going to a missile site and the other one, well we didn't know where it was going. Maybe we just found that missile.

I'm going to search for a ship location program or something to that extent.

CX

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Fox have just said it is heading towards Singapore, and is travelling at 10 knots, hugging the Chinese coastline.

In a few days it will enter (some waters begining with M...lol sorry, i didn't catch it)....and they will try and enforce the UN resolution then.

CX.

[edit on 18/6/09 by CX]

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by CX

In a few days it will enter (some waters begining with M...lol sorry, i didn't catch it)....and they will try and enforce the UN resolution then.

Was it Malaysian waters perhaps? So, this North Korean ship is still a few days away from the US ships? I hope that nothing comes from this, ie, Kim taking this as an act of war.

CX

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Fox is reporting that Sec Robert Gates is positioning defences around Hawai amisdst threats by NK to fire a missile towards there.

I feel sorry for anyone in Hawaai right now, whether this is genuine or not, thats a major worry if you live there.

CX.

CX

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by octotom
reply to post by CX

Was it Malaysian waters perhaps? So, this North Korean ship is still a few days away from the US ships? I hope that nothing comes from this, ie, Kim taking this as an act of war.

Not sure if it was Malaysian waters.

The way they are talking, they have intercepted a ship but are just following it as they don't want to do anything whilst in Chinese waters.

The air force is apparently following it.

Intercepted could mean anything though, as in they've just bumped into the thing they are that close, or they have spotted it.

CX.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 02:51 PM
link   
[mod edit: removed unnecessary quote of entire previous post]
Quoting - Please review this link

Or merely they identified its course, flag and ship ID.

[edit on 18-6-2009 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 02:53 PM
link   
A boat could carry a nuclear device just as well as a missle...which makes me ponder:

What if there is a nuclear bomb on board the boat and when it is eventually boarded they blow it up?

Scary thought, but as nuts at lil kim is, I wouldnt put it past him. According to the news article, it will be a few days until it reaches a port and hopefully will be turned away and not allowed to refuel, at which time the US navy may board it, if I understand correctly. Is this not about the same time he wants to launch a missle twards Hawaii?

[edit on 18-6-2009 by Darkblade71]

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Darkblade71
What if there is a nuclear bomb on board the boat and when it is eventually boarded they blow it up?

Entirely possible - but I don't think it's very likely at all.

Kimmy doesn't have a massive number of nukes - and the ones he does have (or has the potential to make) he would want to use to maximum destructive effect - a suicide boat would take out what? another 3 or 4 boats? I can't see them getting all that close to a carrier.

Mind you I have been thinking as I type this - If the boat was transporting a nuke... Then they may keep it live so that if there is no way out they go out in style - that scenario could be quite likely actually. Edit: which is actually what you were saying all along! - doh, should read properly

[edit on 18/6/2009 by Now_Then]

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Now_Then

a suicide boat would take out what? another 3 or 4 boats?

From what I've read, the US is going to ask the North Korean ship to go into the port of the nearest country instead of boarding it in the open ocean. If they comply, they could very well set the bomb off in a port city, which usually is a bigger city, and ocean water would instantly become poisonous, which would be bad for people that need seafood to live.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 03:21 PM
link   

posted on 18-6-2009 at 03:02 PM

Originally posted by Darkblade7

a suicide boat would take out what? another 3 or 4 boats? I can't see them getting all that close to a carrier.

A nuke (10 to 20 KT) going off the a harbor would start fires over much of the harbor,
If there's a medium to large oil tanker in the port it could ignite most of the port in a massive fireball destroying the port.
This also will likely destroy all the ships in the port or make them unusable do to radioactive fallout contaminating them causing other countries to refuse there docking in there countries.
Plus the radioactive fallout would make the cleanup and restoration of the port a long and difficult process.
Plus the loss of life and loss of the port for years.

A nuke in the (10 to 20 KT) range going off in the harbor at Long Beach Calif would cost the US between 1 trillion to 5 trillion dollars to clean up.
if they packed the ship with radioactive waste from there bomb making it could cost 50 trillion plus close the harbor for 50 to 250 years.

[edit on 18-6-2009 by ANNED]

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 03:46 PM
link   
this is quite the chess wargame goin on ... hopefully nkorea wond 100fold retaliate to the us. that could start ww3

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by amilot1

I personally believe that North Korea is more interested in taking out South Korea than the US. However, they don't realize that in doing so, it's going to mean that US is involved as well!

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join