It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Molester's sentence leads to cries of injustice

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Molester's sentence leads to cries of injustice

www.mcalesternews.com

Kathryn Cole considered it harmless horseplay when her granddaughter, who had just turned 5, reached over and touched her breast during a dinner at her home last September.

She corrected the child’s behavior anyway.

What the girl said next revealed a horrible secret that later would garner national headlines involving the granddaughter, her year-older brother and the man who was their baby-sitter.

“Gramma, it’s OK,” the girl said, according to an account the grandmother gave police. “David Earls touches me there.”

David Harold Earls, 64, a twice convicted felon, had wat
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 05:59 PM
link   
So, this guy gets 20 years, but 19 of them are suspended. He is fined $1,000 and is ordered to register as a sex offender. He was a twice convicted felon, and because he admitted to what he had done in a plea bargain, he only has to serve 1 more year of a suspended sentence (he was already serving time, 1 year). Really makes you scared to be an American under this justice system. I wonder what would happen if the Mother of the child just flipped out and was to shoot this guy right in the head? Do you think she would get off that lightly? Even if she made a plea deal, or claimed temporary insanity? I doubt it. America's justice system sucks. I am a firm believer in publicly televised executions. Do you think some other rapist out there that was planning on raping again would go through with it if he witnessed the televised execution of another rapist on television, and was told that this is what will happen to anyone else that is convicted, or admits to raping an individual? This story just really pissed me off.......hope that guy gets what is coming to him while he is in prison. Any thoughts on this subject?

www.mcalesternews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 06:13 PM
link   
From the article it seems the children were unable to provide the necessary testimony. I don't like it, but one year is better than none in this case.

Obviously someone should have prepared the brother, and had him understand the situation and why his cooperation on the stand was necessary. Instead he was unprepared and he recanted his story when he suddenly realized what had transpired was wrong, incorrectly believing he would next be punished for his involvement.

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by eNumbra

Yes, the children should have been prepared more for what they would have to endure. But what about the fact that the guy admitted to it, and still got such a short amount of time. It is the loophole, and the plea deal that concern me, not the fact that the kids did not perform well under pressure, that was to be expected. Thanks for the response though!

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 06:18 PM
link   

The agreement has touched off a major controversy over criminal justice in McAlester, including calls for the removal of the judge from office. The state attorney general has also launched an inquiry into the case.

Good! It's hard enough to catch these people molesting children and to get them convicted in the first place. It infuriates me when these guys get damn near the same sentencing as fifteen year old girls who get caught taking pictures of themselves. What a world we live in.

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 06:22 PM
link   
So a mentally retarded 18 year old gets 100 years for fondling a 6 year old boy but this felon of sane mind and average intelligence gets 1 year? There is something seriously messed up with the justice system.

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by rapinbatsisaltherage

Man, this is one of those things where you just know if you had a year old parking ticket and got arrested for it, they would throw you UNDER the jail and lose the key......but this guy gets off relatively easy. Unbelievable!

link   
reply to post by desertdreamer

He admits to it for the plea bargain. They dealt him down to a sentence in exchange for a guilty plea.

If he confessed prior to that, frankly there should be no need for a trial, but I'm fuzzy on how that works. He is however a registered sex offender now, probably tier 3. Which means he's just a prisoner outside a prison for the rest of his life anyway.

Yeah, it's all sorts of messed up; but the justice system has been a lovecraftian monstrosity for ages now... this is hardly new. Hopefully the children still being quite young will be able to leave this behind them and grow up healthy.

link   
reply to post by DraconianKing

My point exactly.....

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by eNumbra

Lets hope so. I agree, the justice system is seriously screwed up, and in need of an overhaul.

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Hopefully this guy will get his due in prison and won't be coming out alive. I've heard that the prison population doesn't treat child molesters well.

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 06:28 PM
link   
I think this sick man should have served every bit of the 20 years. He is 64 years old, it is unlikely he can reform, I'm afraid.

And to think that poor 18 year old disabled kid got a century.

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by sos37
Hopefully this guy will get his due in prison and won't be coming out alive. I've heard that the prison population doesn't treat child molesters well.

Wait ... because they don't think pedos are nice people! Hahaha, how ironic.

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 06:32 PM
link   
I think it is safe to say that he will get what is coming to him. You are correct in saying that the prison population does not tolerate child molesters.....that is a no-no even among the majority of criminals.

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Totally unbelievable! What is this country (world) coming to? The justice system in the U.S, is totally out of whack.

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by desertdreamer
I think it is safe to say that he will get what is coming to him. You are correct in saying that the prison population does not tolerate child molesters.....that is a no-no even among the majority of criminals.

I don't know if it's so much that ... I'm sure some criminals hate them for what they do to kids ... but to others they might just be easy prey.

It's not like only the criminals that molest kids lack a heart.

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Donnie Darko

It's not an issue of them lacking a heart......there is a code of ethics even among criminals. There are just some things that you don't do, or you will reap the whirlwind of the other criminal elements.

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by desertdreamer
reply to post by Donnie Darko

It's not an issue of them lacking a heart......there is a code of ethics even among criminals. There are just some things that you don't do, or you will reap the whirlwind of the other criminal elements.

Maybe among some ... but some of them probably don't have any moral code at all.

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Donnie Darko

Most of the people in prison are there for petty drug offenses. They are not violent offenders. They are every day people with usually families on the outside. Yes, pedophiles and child abusers get treated really bad in prison and often are put into solitary for protection.

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jessicamsa

Originally posted by Donnie Darko

Most of the people in prison are there for petty drug offenses. They are not violent offenders. They are every day people with usually families on the outside. Yes, pedophiles and child abusers get treated really bad in prison and often are put into solitary for protection.

Ah yes, that makes sense.

I guess what I'm saying is the real thugs would have no room to judge anyone.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join