It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is there a Life On Mars Conspiracy?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 06:14 AM
link   

Is there a Life On Mars Conspiracy?

timesonline.typepad.com

Some pesky scientists have just pointed out an appalling design error in NASA’s latest attempts to find life on Mars. This is beginning to look like a conspiracy. Does someone not want us to find life on Mars?

NASA has tried looking for signs of life on Mars precisely once, in the 1976 Viking mission. The result was positive. The reason nobody says there is life on Mars is that another experiment, part of the same mission, couldn’t find any carbon-based “organic” chemicals in Martian soil. This, NASA decided, overruled the other result: with no carbon present, there could be no micr
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 06:14 AM
link   
Apologies to the Mods but I have to quote some more as it's realy important:

Both of the searches for organic molecules, it turns out, have been deeply flawed. In 2000, the chief engineer on the 1976 experiment finally admitted that his experiment was simply not sensitive enough to overrule anything. Put bluntly, it didn’t work properly – and it never had, even during testing on Earth.

So the essentialy the experiments were designed to fail, combine this with "the Mars Curse" and what they're saying is it's quite possible NASA and TBTB don't want us to find life on Mars.

Hardly brealing news to most of us but for MSM to come right out and say it's quite a big deal!

timesonline.typepad.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 12-6-2009 by kiwifoot]

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 06:33 AM
link   
We need to send people to mars its the only way really to know.
But then of course with the NASA censoring we would probably get told nothing anyway.
I remember when they announced they found something on mars, and then they said it could be fuel used by the booster rockets or something.
They always twist and turn it around.
Money is a good controller for people themselves ever leaving earth to find out for themselves.
Many have tried and failed due to lack of funds.
Although the X prize winner did actually succeed in leaving the earths atmosphere and taking a picture only for a few seconds.
It would seem money was possibly invented for this reason to keep people from ever pursuing this outside the mainstream powers at be type thing.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 06:34 AM
link   
reply to post by kiwifoot

I thought this part was interesting...

Gilbert Levin, who ran the 1976 experiment to search for life, the one that got a positive result, thinks it’s all down to a religious conspiracy dating back to the early 1960s. When I was researching my book 13 Things That Don’t Make Sense, I travelled to Levin’s Maryland offices and listened to his account of the run-up to Viking. In 1961, he told me, the Executive Director of the American Institute of Biological Sciences, invited him to attend a meeting in Washington. When Levin arrived, he found himself among fifteen of the top scientific minds in the US. None of them knew what the meeting was about until John Olive told them he had been charged by NASA with directing an effort to look for life on other planets.

“Phil Abelson, editor of Science magazine, was sitting next to Dean Cowie, a nuclear physicist,” Levin told me. “He grabbed Dean by the arm and audibly said, “Dean, let’s get out of here. The Bible says there can be no life on Mars.”

Phil Abelson is one of Americas most distinguished scientists. If he did say this he might have been joking. He was not known to be a bible thumper.
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 06:48 AM
link   
" “Dean, let’s get out of here. The Bible says there can be no life on Mars.”

I think he was ironic, he probably realized that if anything was found it would be overruled by religious beliefs anyway, any scientific research would be moot.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 07:07 AM
link   
You know if I were a billionaire ... like a multi-billionaire I would gather up a bunch of my rich friends and make my own rocket, hire a guy to basically suicide mission to mars and have a go at it. I don't think we'll ever be able to trust what NASA says.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 07:11 AM
link   
why the bible is against other civilizations?...i never understood this..is there written any where?..please explain this to me ...10q

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Estharik
You know if I were a billionaire ... like a multi-billionaire I would gather up a bunch of my rich friends and make my own rocket, hire a guy to basically suicide mission to mars and have a go at it. I don't think we'll ever be able to trust what NASA says.

I agree I would do the same and record every min of it and send it to a live streaming server so everyone could see what I saw

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by heineken
why the bible is against other civilizations?...i never understood this..is there written any where?..please explain this to me ...10q

I'm sure that there would be spawned a "Modern Testament" which again, would change all the verses to suit current thoughts, action and beliefs. Maybe they'd call this the "King Fallwell Bible" lol

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Very interesting article kiwifoot.

If they've been burning up the carbon, then it would make perfect sense why they can't find life on Mars. With all the extremophile microbes/bacteria we have here on Earth, it's entirely plausible that there are some on other planets. Of course if you heat up ones that don't like heat, you're just going to kill them. There may not be anything else living there, but microbes/bacteria are likely I think.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jenna
Very interesting article kiwifoot.

If they've been burning up the carbon, then it would make perfect sense why they can't find life on Mars. With all the extremophile microbes/bacteria we have here on Earth, it's entirely plausible that there are some on other planets. Of course if you heat up ones that don't like heat, you're just going to kill them. There may not be anything else living there, but microbes/bacteria are likely I think.

I agree, on Earth we have varios microbes and organisms that can live in inhospitable locations, so it stands to reason that there are bacteria or single celled organisms on Mars.

I don't know about the whole issue with religion and a conspiracy to keep the existance of such life secret. I think people will be able to handle that without it causing too much of a paradigm shift!

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 06:00 PM
link   
I think there is life on Mars. Like other have said, on Earth we have extremophile microbes/bacteria... why not else wherer.

Is it really that hard to believe that every living thing in the universe is not made from carbon. I never understood why that the only thing they look for is carbon based life. I would think if they are spending billions of dollars and taking a whole heaping ton of time to put these missions together, not to mention the time to get to another planet, they would search for life period....not just carbon based life.

But then again maybe thats why they are searching for carbon based life on mars, cause they know that there is no carbon based life but other life.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by kiwifoot
I don't know about the whole issue with religion and a conspiracy to keep the existance of such life secret. I think people will be able to handle that without it causing too much of a paradigm shift!

That part I'm not sure about either. Sheer incompetence is the likely culprit if indeed there is microbial life on Mars, or the moon for that matter, and it's not been released or noticed. Scientists spend so much time in the realm of theories that I've often wondered if all of their book smarts have pushed common sense out the window.

As for people being able to handle the knowledge, I suspect most would. Especially if it was only microbial life. Were they to find anything much bigger then there would likely be cults thinking they were about to be beamed up to the mothership, but for the most part I think the world could handle it.

@ Topsy_Cret

I think they only look for carbon based life-forms because that is what we are familiar with and they think they would know it if they saw it, regardless of it's outward form. I've wondered the same thing though about other forms of life that are not carbon based. It's entirely possible, to me at any rate, that with all the focus on carbon based life we may very well find life and not recognize it as such if it's not carbon based and doesn't have a parade in front of the researchers.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 06:32 PM
link   
You know, asking this question is like asking if NASA has ever covered up anything.

It just needs to be stated as fact that NASA doesn't tell us *snip*, which means there are things they are deliberatly hiding from us. What are these things? I don't know, but they must have some pretty big implications to stay hidden.

As far as Mars goes, if there is life, it probably lives under the Ice Caps or perhaps underground itself.

We won't know until somebody actually goes there, or they send Rovers to the interesting parts, not just the boring ones like they do now.

Over and over again, rovers are sent to the same areas, that don't provide any results, well save the last one, which was pretty good.

But they need to widen their spectrum, I mean with the discovery of life in our most upper atmosphere, there are obviously life forms that can exist without much carbon, or air for that matter.

In any case, hopefully that guy from France actually has something to say when he "discloses" his apparent knowledge of what's going on, it may contain some Mars goodies.

As with all disclosure however, I am not holding my breath, way too much dis-information.

~Keeper

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Estharik

great idea! i am in no way suicidal, but i feel that would be something worth giving my all for.

put me on the sign-up list for home grown astronaut

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by shortest man walking

Well that reality might be closer than you think.

Just look at the recent Xprize billionaires and their friends, they plan to open sub-orbital hotels and high orbit space flights in the next few years.

It wont' be long before privately funded operations, outgrow the capabilities of NASA and the European equivalent.

~Keeper

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Three days ago??? Now I see why you were miffed at the other thread. Sometimes with the millions hitting ATS you get duplicate news reports but THREE DAYS and I didn't even see it.

Possible Reason for the Mars Curse

[edit on 15-6-2009 by zorgon]

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Problem here is NASA also published this a while back... and it also went mostly un-noticed

Martian Methane Reveals the Red Planet is not a Dead Planet

New research reveals there is hope for Mars yet. The first definitive detection of methane in the atmosphere of Mars indicates the planet is still alive, in either a biologic or geologic sense, according to a team of NASA and university scientists.

www.nasa.gov...

Last I checked Methane is a 'carbon-based “organic” chemical'

Methane -- four atoms of hydrogen bound to a carbon atom -- is the main component of natural gas on Earth. It's of interest to astrobiologists because organisms release much of Earth's methane as they digest nutrients. However, other purely geological processes, like oxidation of iron, also release methane. "Right now, we don’t have enough information to tell if biology or geology -- or both -- is producing the methane on Mars," said Mumma. "But it does tell us that the planet is still alive, at least in a geologic sense. It's as if Mars is challenging us, saying, hey, find out what this means." Mumma is lead author of a paper on this research appearing in Science Express Jan. 15.

[edit on 15-6-2009 by zorgon]

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 06:36 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Ah thems the breaks I guess! I guess it's because the other threads title was better, and I had to use the articles headline, damn ABN rules lol!

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 12:20 PM
link   
www.secretmars.com...

My purpose for writing this book is that I believe the Americans have discovered signs of an intelligent civilization that once existed on the planet Mars and they have decided not to tell the world about it, at least not yet. This discovery is being kept a secret. I want this to change.

Why has NASA not announced to the world the greatest scientific discovery ever made in the history of space exploration?

Do you want to know what has REALLY been discovered by the cameras of the Mars Orbiters and Rovers?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join