It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

history repeats itself,,, scary graphs,, and statements

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 08:39 PM
link   
check these graphs out,,,, maybe it's been posted b4 ,,,,, but it's scary how eerily similar they are,,,, and check out the statements from the great depression,,,,,they sound very similar to the pundits on tv of today

graph of today and great depression
www.bearmarketcomparison.com...

unemployment comparison

main site

and the statements parts
www.gold-eagle.com...

copied from website--www.gold-eagle.com
www.gold-eagle.com...

"We will not have any more crashes in our time."
- John Maynard Keynes in 1927

"I cannot help but raise a dissenting voice to statements that we are living in a fool's paradise, and that prosperity in this country must necessarily diminish and recede in the near future."
- E. H. H. Simmons, President, New York Stock Exchange, January 12, 1928
"There will be no interruption of our permanent prosperity."
- Myron E. Forbes, President, Pierce Arrow Motor Car Co., January 12, 1928

"No Congress of the United States ever assembled, on surveying the state of the Union, has met with a more pleasing prospect than that which appears at the present time. In the domestic field there is tranquility and contentment...and the highest record of years of prosperity. In the foreign field there is peace, the goodwill which comes from mutual understanding."
- Calvin Coolidge December 4, 1928

"There may be a recession in stock prices, but not anything in the nature of a crash."
- Irving Fisher, leading U.S. economist , New York Times, Sept. 5, 1929

"Stock prices have reached what looks like a permanently high plateau. I do not feel there will be soon if ever a 50 or 60 point break from present levels, such as (bears) have predicted. I expect to see the stock market a good deal higher within a few months."
- Irving Fisher, Ph.D. in economics, Oct. 17, 1929
"This crash is not going to have much effect on business."
- Arthur Reynolds, Chairman of Continental Illinois Bank of Chicago, October 24, 1929

"There will be no repetition of the break of yesterday... I have no fear of another comparable decline."
- Arthur W. Loasby (President of the Equitable Trust Company), quoted in NYT, Friday, October 25, 1929

"We feel that fundamentally Wall Street is sound, and that for people who can afford to pay for them outright, good stocks are cheap at these prices."
- Goodbody and Company market-letter quoted in The New York Times, Friday, October 25, 1929

"This is the time to buy stocks. This is the time to recall the words of the late J. P. Morgan... that any man who is bearish on America will go broke. Within a few days there is likely to be a bear panic rather than a bull panic. Many of the low prices as a result of this hysterical selling are not likely to be reached again in many years."
- R. W. McNeel, market analyst, as quoted in the New York Herald Tribune, October 30, 1929
"Buying of sound, seasoned issues now will not be regretted"
- E. A. Pearce market letter quoted in the New York Herald Tribune, October 30, 1929

"Some pretty intelligent people are now buying stocks... Unless we are to have a panic -- which no one seriously believes, stocks have hit bottom."
- R. W. McNeal, financial analyst in October 1929

"The decline is in paper values, not in tangible goods and services...America is now in the eighth year of prosperity as commercially defined. The former great periods of prosperity in America averaged eleven years. On this basis we now have three more years to go before the tailspin."
- Stuart Chase (American economist and author), NY Herald Tribune, November 1, 1929
"Hysteria has now disappeared from Wall Street."
- The Times of London, November 2, 1929

"The Wall Street crash doesn't mean that there will be any general or serious business depression... For six years American business has been diverting a substantial part of its attention, its energies and its resources on the speculative game... Now that irrelevant, alien and hazardous adventure is over. Business has come home again, back to its job, providentially unscathed, sound in wind and limb, financially stronger than ever before."
- Business Week, November 2, 1929

it's scary how similar they are,,,,,,,,also if anyone can copy and paste the graph's into this thread,please do,,,,, i only wish i knew how

i know many hating opening links and such or have dial up

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 08:53 PM
link   
I am glad you have found this my friend.

It is very eerie isnt it?

When a person says history repeats itself. It is irrevocably true.

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Now we must adapt ourselves and ride this rollercoaster. The clock is ticking, how much time we have one doesn't know, but what we do know that it is not very far away. *tick tock tick tock*

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 09:01 PM
link   
What's really scary is that it looks like someone (someones) it trying to make sure that history repeats itself.

Scares the begeebers outa me!

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 12:40 AM
link   
Take a look at 1974 in the DJIA.

IMO this is a much much better representation of what is happening right now.

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by GreenBicMan
Take a look at 1974 in the DJIA.

IMO this is a much much better representation of what is happening right now.

well maybe so long as you don't think 2010 will be like 1975 (we will not be testing the highs in 2010) unless the dollar is dropped as a international currency or the fed prints (not electronically!)1000 dollar tangible notes..............otherwise ...all the fed can do is increase the "potential" for inflation......they can't force propped up zombie banks to lend or credit card company's to stop pulling lines or CRE to defy gravity .....they can help the dollar fall against the euro and assist oil and milk prices rising but that won't boost the DJIA

[edit on 6-6-2009 by cpdaman]

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 02:07 AM
link   
and just in the last week i have seen much talk of inflation,,,, even on the msm,,,,,it even was uddered out of bernanke's mouth

i think it will start kicking in,,,,, or at least the real fear of it will cause more calamity and downward fluctuations

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 04:00 AM
link   
reply to post by shortywarn

Indeed, inflation this time will be what sets this apart from the Great Depression. I would prefer deflation myself assuming I am able to keep my job.

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 12:37 PM
link   
No matter what, we already have our very own FDR in office allready so we can look forward to at least 12 years of poverty. and our grandkids will be paying for another 30 years after!!
Zindo

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 10:26 PM
link   
and remember some crazy kook mentioning inflation and the dollar value way back in the primaries????

and everyone laughed and said yeah right

maybe ron paul isn't so crazy huh

i feel very good to this day to say,,, i voted for ron paul for prez,,, even if it was a write in

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 04:57 AM
link   
The Federal Reserve is going away.

The FBI was created on July 26, 1908 during the presidency of Theodore Roosevelt.

The Navy and Marine Corps adopted the M1911 pistol in 1913.

Best if the rest get in line.

[edit on 8-6-2009 by In nothing we trust]

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 11:22 AM
link   
That website wants to compare the time frame from 1929 through 1932

to the time frame of 2007 to 2010 (?) and scare you.

I don't believe it. We are in the early part of a bull market that will last several years. The down side is done. The lowest low is in already. We will soon see a higher low, and then head back up to a higher high.

top topics

join