It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is music? is it our social glue? Is music the matter that matters

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 11:30 PM
link   

two variants of the gene AVPR1A correlated strongly with musical ability (PLoS One, DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0005534). AVPR1A codes for a receptor for the hormone arginine vasopressin and has been linked with bonding, love and altruism in people.

www.newscientist.com...

MUSICAL ability is linked to gene variants that help control social bonding. The finding adds weight to the notion that music developed to cement human relationships.

How very interesting. Ive always felt a connection to people through music.
It appears that the genes for musical talent are the gene we have for bonding and love?

Does this make music an emotion? Or made of the same stuff that creates emotions

Is music a matter and energy that vibrates and binds just as we do? Are we a kind of musical tune something is playing?

Is music made up of physcial mathematical equations and answers, and are we the same, is that why we are all drawn to music?

Is the life and the universe a song or a tune?

What is muisc?

Why do we need it?

Why do we enjoy it?

What purpose does music have?

Does the vibration level do something to us?

Why do so many religions sing their prayers?

Why do we express our emotions through music or song?

Why do we such strong memories evoked by music?

Its said that heavenly hosts continously sing hahelluiah (not my belief but thats not important)

I have no answers, looks like we are all binded through it, so all your answers will help answer what is music?

Is music an expression of emotion? like laughter or crying? Or is it made up of the very fabric the makes us laugh and cry.

What is music to you?

SONG: Ebb - I'm All Made of Music

[edit on 3-6-2009 by zazzafrazz]

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 11:59 PM
link   
Sounds is the prime mover. First there was sound. The first manifestation of the Supreme Being was sound. Sound is an integral part of spirit.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 12:22 AM
link   
reply to post by zazzafrazz

All that matter is (including humans) is vibrational energy.

Subatomic particles interacting ...

Music is also vibrational energy.

In many ways, we're all made of music.

Lots of interesting research on the internets on the subject, including:

www.svpvril.com...

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 12:29 AM
link   
people communicate with sound... Without sound we cannot make music...

We enjoy music so much because of the rhythms which are part of our everyday lifestyle, like walking to school or driving to work.

There is music everywhere which means it can trigger emotions and memories from past experiences.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 12:29 AM
link   
in many traditions sound is the binding force of the universe. the sacred OM in Hinduism. Tibetan throat chanting (said to sustain the universe). the didgeridoo for the aboriginal australians is said to be a doorway to the Dreaming (the mystic realm that binds creation).

so the idea of sound as primal creation is not a new one. our species has recognized this early on (so it seems). perhaps our ability to communicate with melodic and rhythmic sound has influenced our evolution as a sentient being.

it is of my persepctive that music is a sacred art form- and blending of intellect and intuition. a way to express ourselves and to commune with whomever/whatever else may be listening.

JRR Tolkien (of Lord of the Rings fame) has a creation story from the book the Silmarilion that is a wonderful and poetic telling. creation literally IS music... a profound theme orchestrated by divine beings made manifest by the powers that be.

of course i am butchering it in my paraphrase.

for any into that sort of stuff, if you have yet to, check it out.

great post. i just finished making some music myself... i put the guitar down and picked up the computer keyboard. low and behold a post on the nature of music!

i think its a sign to put down the keyboard and pick back up the guitar.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 12:33 AM
link   
I also seem to think that our love for music and need for it comes down to the fact that in a way we are all possibly built up of tiny 'stings' that vibrate much like in the case of String Theory..... Sometimes when you hear certain tunes or music that have some interaction to you personaly on a sub-atomic level you get a certain 'high' feel that you cant explain and gives you that feeling of connection...

I have taken various drugs in the past of all varieties but have never had the same high that I get when I mix certain tracks when im DJing.....

In fairness Drum & Bass seems to work on more sonic levels than most other genres so I would get these 'highs' more so than the average classical or top 40 listener.....

Music is Life...... Life is Music

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 12:37 AM
link   
not to bring the dialogue to this level... but sound, unfortunately, can also be used as a weapon.

i suppose that attests to its innate power, 'cause if its got power, a humans gonna find a way to kill things with it.

[edit on 3-6-2009 by mythos]

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 12:47 AM
link   
It turns out that music is as universal and cross-cultural as laughter.

"The Universal Language of Music"
www.medicalnewstoday.com...

Seems as though happiness, sadness and fear are conveyed through music, and all are universal.

Good or bad, I don't know. I wonder what Mozart's darker pieces convey . . . .

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 01:51 AM
link   
reply to post by dark_horse

Listen to his Requiem, I'm not sure what it is but you'll definately feel it. It's so emotional man.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 02:19 AM
link   
I myself as a composer am very compassionate about music as well
(mainly contemporary orchestra like movie soundtracks). I don't know why but I've written a few songs and am working on a couple more, but there is one that is very very special to me... more special than the rest because I wrote it when I was in love (or perhaps lust). But it's not because it reminds me of the girl but it reminds me of that feeling. It wouldn't surprise me if it's genetic and deep within our DNA, my grandfather was very compassionate about music and as a grandfather, so is my mother. The only thing that seems to bother me about it, is people seem to think MSM music is all the music there is, but there is much more music that is, well... more heartfelt.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 02:57 AM
link   
reply to post by dark_horse

The expression of emotions is a basic feature of Western music, and the capacity of music to convey emotional expressions is often regarded as a prerequisite to its appreciation in Western cultures, the researchers explained. In other musical traditions, however, music is often appreciated for other qualities, such as group coordination in rituals.

Thnaks for the link, ive quoted from it. It makes me think of the musical score to a horror movie or a thriller, with the music down, I am not scared
So music definatley does evoke emotion, and thats whats got me thinking, is music made up of the same fabric as that that 'creates' us and our emotions....maybe this will help us understand our emotions and why we have them.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 03:49 AM
link   
Not much music being made these days... just a bunch of noise.

The "music" of today is much more than just sound though...

Music of today is a neatly packaged premade lifestyle, created by an industry and marketed directly to your subconscious. The main target of this industry is the young.

Our children are watching these music videos, listening to lyrics that reference all manner of crude human behavior, modeling their attitudes, beliefs and appearances after their favorite stars.

The venomous record industry preys on our human susceptability to enjoy music.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 04:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by mostlyspoons
Not much music being made these days... just a bunch of noise.

The "music" of today is much more than just sound though...

Music of today is a neatly packaged premade lifestyle, created by an industry and marketed directly to your subconscious. The main target of this industry is the young.

Our children are watching these music videos, listening to lyrics that reference all manner of crude human behavior, modeling their attitudes, beliefs and appearances after their favorite stars.

The venomous record industry preys on our human susceptability to enjoy music.

You sound like my dad

There's plenty of great music out there nowadadys and its never been easier to create your own music. Ive been producing music for the last 6 years and its been the most fruitful thing Ive ever done. Ive learnt so much about sounds , arrangements, changing moods through the use of different keys. ive even made some money out of it, which was nice

If ever i feel down, 99% of the time music will make me feel better. Download spotify and search for music you like

[edit on 3-6-2009 by woodwardjnr]

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 05:26 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

The manufactured music sound has been around for a long time. Even in the 70's the anarchistic sex pistols were managed and created by Malcolm Mclaren, just another boy band.

The fact that they create a 'sound' doesnt detract from the point in the thread which is that the music 'gene' is the human social binding gene, and that this sound is wanted by humans.

And why does it bind us. Its facinating.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 07:04 AM
link   
Music / sound/ vibration is the basic human connection with the source of all creation

Music is part of our 5 sense connection to the matrix we call reality

Popular & Commercial Music has been manipulated to further certain agendas

The 440 hertz that is an A above Middle C, which all popular music is tuned was
selected for uncertain reasons

440 Hertz ?

440 hertz is a frequency range in which that humans do not access higher spiritual levels of connectedness

528 hertz is the love vibration frequency that human naturally connect with spiritual love

This was discussed on ATS recently 528 hertz on ATS

oddly I could not find any 528 hertz reference on Wikipedia ???

528 wiki search results

Another possible manipulation of reality via music is the time signature

All popular music is set in a standard 4/4 time, which was entrained into us when we children. examine any of the song you first remember being taught as a child,...Bingo which if sound naturally would be in 5ths , but is forced into 4ths,...so we sing it as B..I.. NG..O... and.. bingo ..was his name..O

Musical 5ths include an interval (the space between notes) that allows the listener to expand consciously, but this interval in not present in 4ths

Musical intervals

Music is a beautiful gift, that can be used for varied agendas

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by NWRHINO

Thanks for the links, Ive come across the manipulation side before, and our suceptibility is now linked genetically by the looks of it.

Vibrations can control us as well as bind us by the looks of things.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by zazzafrazz

Hi ZazzaFrazz.....S&F!!!. Dawwww.!

Where can I possibly begin.? My life is a like a soundtrack, & the beat marches on. Every day. I don't know what I would possibly do/become without music in my life. Seriously.

Hey, before I forget......(zazza) would you mind sending me a U2U of that song you had posted yesterday, from Riding Giants (sndtrk).?
I LOVED IT!!!!!
((Thnx.))
I have a thing with surfing documentaries. I think I've watched every one ever made. lol It's how I found VAST (in Step Into Liquid).
www.youtube.com...
www.youtube.com...

ANyway.

Music is a major tool in my life, and my emancipation. yes yes.
It helps me think so much.
There's always a melody that can relate to how I'm feeling. For that I treasure it. Priceless.
A true form of art.
The Universal Language.
Music is infinite. Nothing can make it go away. It will only grow to greater dimensions.
Even if we (as the human race) were to start from scratch again, eventually music wil bloom again. In a hum. Or a sound.
It's an incredible thought to try and break down all the sciences, and all related thoughts to music.
Music mimics life. In many ways. Mimics nature. Mimics everything now that I think of it......
There's always an ear for new sounds, old sounds, familiar sounds.
I find to look into a person's (deeper) character with music.
Ex. I could never marry or have a soulmate who doesn't share music in life. I don't know......but it's that important to me.
Your questions are beautiful zazz. There isn't enough time and answers in the world to put it all together. And that's why it's such a beautful thing.
Isn't it?
We need it, because we yearn for it. yes yes.

""Is music a matter and energy that vibrates and binds just as we do? Are we a kind of musical tune something is playing?"""

Love that question the most. I like how you think.

In the early Sixties, a Swiss scientist named Hans Jenny experimented with the effects of sound vibrations on fluids, powders and liquid paste. Photographs of Jenny's work were as remarkable as his observations of the patterns which emerged.
He wrote of "powder erupting into clouds" and crypts like honeycombs; pillar like prominences; column waves and wave forms; current storms and storm currents.
He concluded, "However, this is not an unregulated chaos; it is a dynamic but ordered pattern."

my favorite label. waveformhq.com...
check out the 'musical starstreams' good stuff.

: btw, Sdog, All that matter is (including humans) is vibrational energy.
Subatomic particles interacting ...
Music is also vibrational energy.
In many ways, we're all made of music.

Might have to quote you on that brutha! .
And I'm digging that link. Thnx.

Why do we such strong memories evoked by music?
I've always found that to be so interesting! Especially when you hear a song (for ex.) and it instantly brings back a memory.

What is music to you?

I know this is gonna sound crazy, but Music is my God.

It's the only tool I ever applied for a true* spiritual experience, and it worked.

[edit on 3-6-2009 by Ben Niceknowinya]

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Do not need to add much more really

; )

S+F

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 03:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Ben Niceknowinya

Yes I must say I quite like that; are we a musical tune something is playing!

simply put Ben: MUSIC GIVES US WINGS
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/600d700eea01.png[/atsimg]

[edit on 9-6-2009 by zazzafrazz]

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 04:22 AM
link   
reply to post by mostlyspoons

You obviously have no idea of the music industry otherwise you would not dare to say something like that.

YES on a certain scale, 'popular' music is neatly packaged, diluted nonsense, but you don't have to look far to find excellently produced tunes of pretty much any genre.

I think you're just out of touch.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join