It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Injury with a weed wacker

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 09:37 AM
link   
I was weed wacking over the weekend and the string of the weed wacker caught my toes and cut them up (I was wearing flip flops). It hurt really bad. My husband made sure I was ok, got me ice, etc. then started to laugh. Stated to me you cant fix stupid. I would like to know if this is normal, for ones loved one to laugh at them when they are clearly in pain?

Note the week before I caught my hand with the string of the weed wacker. At this point, I would of thought that my husband would take over the weed wacking. How many times does one have to hurt themselves for the husband to get the hint, that me and the weed wacker do not mesh?

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 09:41 AM
link   
honey, let the weeds grow..toes are more important.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by IrishLass

Oh no! So sorry to hear that. I've never been hit by one but have seen those things in action and can only imagine.

My husband made sure I was ok, got me ice, etc. then started to laugh. Stated to me you cant fix stupid. I would like to know if this is normal, for ones loved one to laugh at them when they are clearly in pain?

If he had immediately started to make fun of you, that would be one thing. But since he tended to you and made sure you were OK first, that leads me to believe he probably thought what happened was adorable, as odd as that sounds.

Any time I try to do 'man's work' (which generally ends in an epic fail), my husband will laugh at me, too, because he thinks it's hysterical. Imagine your husband trying to bake a cake, failing miserably, and ending up covered in batter with an inedible result. He might be really upset at himself but you'd think it was precious.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Sorry to hear about your weed wacking problems Irishlass!!
I agree with AD save your toes and let them grow, or get yourself some steel toecaped boots.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Women with their inappropriate footwear!

I'm sorry to hear about your toes, but really flip flops?
Try climbing a ladder in high heals for added laughter next time.

You only get 10 toes and 2 feel!

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by IrishLass

Yikes ...

First my apologies as I misunderstood your title.

Before you retire from weed whacking let me suggest one last weed whacking venture on your husbands toes. I'm sure he will find it hilarious.

At least that's what my wife would do if I laughed at her pain.

Whach him good!

Wait ... that doesn't sound right.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 02:16 PM
link   
I worked as a greens keeper on a golf course when I was a undergrad. I had many weed wacker injuries. My shins constantly took a beating. Learned quickly to wear protective eye wear. But the worst is when I accidental "wacked" a patch of poison ivy. I lived in calamine lotion for about a week.

For all the dangerous I still to this day love weed wacking. Maybe because I am a city slicker now and miss the smell of fresh cut grass.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 08:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Now_Then

For some reason my husband wont let me on a ladder, go figure. LOL

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 10:41 AM
link   
I can agree that wearing flip flops while using a weed whacker doesn't work very well. Tennis shoes should however work. The important thing is to wear closed toe shoes. I don't think you need to go with the steel toed route unless you go with maybe one of the higher powered gas models or higher powered electrics.

It is ironic in that I plan on picking up a weed whacker this afternoon. I'll let you know the results. Wish me luck!

Edit to add: needless to say wear long pants when you use one.

[edit on 3-6-2009 by Deson]

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 10:27 PM
link   
It has now been a few days since I used the weed whacker. I can confirm that if you wear such things as tennis shoes you should be all right against injury. How do I know this? Yeah, i was foolish, I tried it. Took the thing and deliberately tried to cut through the shoe with it. It just marked it up but no major damage. This was with a 4.4 amp electric motor. So unless your using a monster gas or electric you should be fine as long as you wear closed toe shoes if that's any thought.

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 12:29 AM
link   
mmm weed whackers or whipper snipper...Boy they're fun.

I used to be a lawn mower man so I've had some fun experiences.

Like whipping snipping someones back yard who owns a dog and coming across a fresh deposit in the long grass.

Or the cord on the whipper snipper wrapping around a large rock and sling shotting it into my shins

Blergh!

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Deson

Good luck with your new weed wacker, wear glasses as well (stuff likes to fly around). I'm learning, all be it, the hard way.

:bnghd:

[edit on 6/7/2009 by IrishLass]

posted on Feb, 19 2019 @ 07:13 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 19 2019 @ 07:24 AM
link   
a reply to: HeleneQ

CLICK
I CLICKED IT

new topics

top topics

join