It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mohawk Warriors vow to storm border post

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+10 more 
posted on May, 31 2009 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Mohawk Warriors vow to storm border post

www.canada.com

Mohawk Warriors from the Akwesasne reserve near Cornwall, Ont. say they will storm a Canada Border Services Agency post on Monday and shut down the international border crossing unless their political leaders receive a commitment from the federal government not to arm border guards at the post, which stands on reserve territory.

The Mohawks say they don’t want armed guards at the post because it would violate their sovereignty and increase the likelihood of violent confrontations.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
en.wikipedia.org
www.cbc.ca
lists.resist.ca..." target="_blank" class="postlink">https:

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
huge protest over land rights in ontario, caledonia

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 12:19 PM
link   
For those of you who don't know, Canada only started to arm it's Border Guards in 2007, with an end date 2016 to have all CBSA guards armed.

Hopefully this turns out to be nothing but the Mohawk Warriors have a history of defiance. I for one believe them when they say that they will shut down this Border crossing. My only fear is that there will be an over reaction to this by the Government.

At one point recently, the Mohawk Warriors were listed as a terrorist organization by the Canadian Military. The closing of the Trans Canada in 2007 was also in part done by members of the Mohawk Warriors.

The Oka Crisis in 1990 was over grievances from the Mohawk nation about the use of their land. Hopefully this doesn't turn out anything like that but phrases from some of the people involved concern me.

If that answer don’t come, that’s it. Monday is going to be the worst. That’s the crackdown. It’s going to be over. It’s going to be done. No more signing papers, no more negotiations — nothing.

www.canada.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 12:37 PM
link   
I support the Mohawks 1000%...I feel the NAU starting to spread like the true cancer it is...MTFBWY - my respected Canadian Moderator

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by HulaAnglers

I generally support their claims as well HA but don't always agree with the methods they use.

I also think that is TSHF with regards to the NAU, these will be the people on the front lines fighting. They have a long and proud history aren't going to let it go quietly.

[edit on 31-5-2009 by GAOTU789]

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 12:50 PM
link   
This is actually something I hadn't thought about
This is very touchy territory

Originally posted by GAOTU789
Hopefully this turns out to be nothing but the Mohawk Warriors have a history of defiance.

Defiance is a horrible choice of words in my opinion
These people deserve to be the govt's govt.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

No I think defiance is the proper word.

The act or an example of defying; bold resistance to an opposing force or authority.

They don't stand by idly while what they perceive as injustices are forced upon them.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by GAOTU789

I stand corrected!

I thought you meant the authority was well-deserved
my bad

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Go Mohawks!

They are one of the original peoples of North America, and borders should mean nothing to these people. What gives the government the right to force them to accept the notion of borders, anyway?

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 01:45 PM
link   
I will take a lot of heat over this comment but I think the real reason is it will cut down on their smuggling of booze and smokes from the US. I used to have a GF that lived in Cornwall and we would always go to the reserve for cheap booze. Also I used to work on Cargo SHips and we would see them loading up pickups at night at the waters edge from boats. I hope the reason they will close the border is true and virtuous, however, I believe my above stated reasons are the true motives for this action.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 01:56 PM
link   
HOLY &^%$ !

I always wondered if Native Americans still mattered at all.

Now my answer has been given. Native Americans are alive and well and still stand up for their people.

This story is worth a star and a flag because the Native Americans are the original settlers of America and they deserve to 'STILL' fight for their way of life and way of people. This gives hope to a saga of interesting wonder. !

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 02:13 PM
link   
hey at least someones finally taking a stand against the NAU.

nice going Mohawks.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by DEEZNUTZ

There is no question that a lot of smuggling goes on on some of the reserves that straddle the Canadian/US border. Something that doesn't get mentioned much, especially with tobacco smuggling, is that it was the Tobacco industry itself that was promoting much of the smuggling occurring.

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

There has also been human smuggling that occurs on some of these same reserves.

www.thecanadianencyclopedia.com...

There is also drug smuggling.

www.usdoj.gov...

So I would say your observation of the smuggling occcurring is spot on. I don't know how much it has to do with this particular incident but it may be a factor. It certainly has to be considered.

[edit on 31-5-2009 by GAOTU789]

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Yes, the Native People are alive and surviving...

We have become an invisible sleeper cell. The governments label our Warriors "Terrorists". They can label us until their brains explode. What you see and hear about the Rez's, is happening on a Larger Scale, and YOU'RE in it!

If this turns to be the 1st stance against the NAU, I'm proud that it's the Native people on the front line - doing it.

We've been fighting Terrorism since 1492!. lol.

If A.I.M. doesn't get involved this should go over quietly.... If A.I.M. is there, grab your guns now, because it's gonna turn into a TNT Keg, fast!

My prayers go out to the Mohawk Nation. May all go well and resolved peacefully... I will be following this closely... Star and Flag

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 06:44 PM
link   

The Mohawks say they don’t want armed guards at the post because it would violate their sovereignty and increase the likelihood of violent confrontations.

So, let me get this straight, because they don't want anything to exacerbate a possible "violent" situation........THEY ARE GOING TO VIOLENTLY STORM A GOVERNMENT POST???? No this doesn't wreak of hypocrisy at all. I don't like most things the government does either but don't come at us with all of this innocent sounding diatribe of "we come in peace using violence". Say it like it is. You don't like the government or what they are doing and you are willing to go to war with them to get your way. It sounds to me like this tribe is the violent offenders here. In Canada they still have the ability to go through their MP's and Governor Generals and Prime Minister to make things happen. This tribe seems to have gone straight to the lowest common denominator to handle this issue. I can only surmise that when they physically attack the border control, they are going to get exactly what they don't want.......violence. Just sayin'.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Ummmm yeah.....I don't think you want to piss the Mohawks off.

The next change of shift at the guardhouse will drive up to find a bunch of scalps hanging from the flagpole!

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 06:58 PM
link   
I support the Mohawks, and I hope the Canadian government will disarm their border agents.

Please do the right thing and avoid confrontation.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by GAOTU789

Sometimes the only good methods are violent methods.

Governments have a bad problem with ignoring native peoples, getting their attention sometimes requires a lot of work.

Going to the courts hasnt had the best outcomes in the world.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Phenomium

The Mohawk Nation has been dealing w/ them peacefully. You see, the Mohawks were "alotted" a piece of land that they (council of chiefs) would be able to make decisions on behalf of the Mohawk, w/out outside interference.

It's sort of like U.S. military telling N.Korea: "hey, we're gonna put our "border patrol" on your side with weapons, BUT in a peaceful way and you have NO say over it!"... (but on a smaller scale)

Of course the Native people are alittle "jumpy". lol.
You know, if something has the Mohawk fired up, IMO it's more than just booze & smoke smugglin' being pinched.

Mohawk Article

Thompson said he had a three-minute meeting in a corridor on Parliament Hill last Monday with Public Safety Minister Peter Van Loan, hoping the minister would reverse the initiative.

He said the minister made it clear to him that it was an “operational decision” and that Stephen Rigby, the president of the CBSA, has the authority to stop the arming of the guards.

Thompson also met Rigby last Thursday but said it is clear the arming of the guards will proceed as planned.

Chief Larry King also met Thursday with Rigby, who rejected compromises offered by the council of chiefs. The chiefs asked that the policy be delayed for a year or until the end of the CBSA’s arming process in 2016.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 09:29 PM
link   
I remember when this when down in Buffalo. I was there at the time and thought "Way to Go!"

buffalogeek.wnymedia.net...

The last time a New York Governor tried to collect taxes on the sales of tobacco products on the state’s Indian reservations, this is what happened…courtesy of Associated Press: About 1,000 American Indians and their supporters briefly blocked traffic on the New York State Thruway Sunday to protest the state’s collection of sales tax on Indian land. “This is our land. This Thruway is ours,” said Indian businessman Art Schindler, brother of Seneca Nation President Michael Schindler. The demonstration started off peacefully along the side of the Thruway, but a handful of protesters later lit tire fires and scuffled with state troopers in the middle of the road. Protesters also blocked nearby Route 5 and U.S. Route 20. State police detoured traffic around them. Several minor injuries were reported. Protesters and police approached each other to negotiate when fighting broke out. “They tried to come over to talk to us, but we’re just way past that now,” Art Schindler said. “I can’t control anybody’s reactions. Nobody wanted to hear them.” Last Sunday, about 200 protesters blocked the Thruway for about 45 minutes in the same spot on reservation land about 25 miles south of Buffalo.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Not sure if this is of any significance, but I just returned from the United States at the boarder by Emerson, Manitoba half an hour ago. (The boarder between Winnipeg and Grand Forks, ND). Anyways, before heading back into Canada, there were American Border Patrol vehicles blocking off one lane that leads to the Canadian border, and we had to stop and be talked to by American border patrol before we could proceed to the Canadian Border which is normally the only step into returning back to Canada.

It wasn't normal to be questioned and having your trunk searched by Americans before entering Canada. Maybe this has something to do with it? But this is in Manitoba....

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join