It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Climate Change Killing 300,000 per year

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Climate Change Killing 300,000 per year

news.aol. com

More than 300 million people are already seriously affected by the gradual warming of the earth and that number is set to double by 2030, the report from the Global Humanitarian Forum warns.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Could this be a ploy to further the intrusion of government into our lives? Probably. I'm not sure how the hell they can prove that these people are dying in direct relation to climate change...

The report's startling numbers are based on calculations by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change that the Earth's atmosphere warmed by 0.74 degrees Celsius (1.33 degrees Fahrenheit) from 1906 to 2005, with much of that increase coming in recent decades. The panel predicts that by 2100 temperatures will have increased a minimum of two degrees Celsius (3.6 degrees Fahrenheit) over pre-industrial levels regardless of what's agreed in Copenhagen.

One whole degree in a century? People will be boiling by morning.

news.aol. com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 30-5-2009 by Ketzer22]

Mod Edit: External Source Tags Instructions – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 5/30/2009 by AshleyD]

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ketzer22

Could this be a ploy to further the intrusion of government into our lives? Probably. I'm not sure how the hell they can prove that these people are dying in direct relation to climate change...

People will not die as a direct cause of climate change. Many will die as a result of the indirect consequences of climate change like,

a)drought/famine(due to lack of rain in prime agricultural land)
b)floods(in places and it can even be deserts too)
c)sea level rise(combine with the polar ice caps and the glaciers melting, the sea level rises nearly twenty meters and a look at the elevation of various coastal cities on any map will give you a idea of the extent of the damage)
etc..

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 11:22 AM
link   

a)drought/famine(due to lack of rain in prime agricultural land)
b)floods(in places and it can even be deserts too)

Well that's nothing new. Not good, but nothing new.

What?

Did they pull this number out of a hat?

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 11:24 AM
link   
There you have it; Nature's way of handeling the problem itself and getting rid of the bipedal polluters that is destroying it.

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

I know that droughts and floods are nothing new at all, I meant to say that the intensity of the droughts will rise. Remember the hurricanes back in the old days and remember katrina? Imagine the intensity. It is that we are expecting to see in the future.

And btw, the list not any official list, I just compiled the list.

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Nightchild

Yes, you are correct. We are gradually modifying the environment and the environment retaliates by turning against us. Even the biggest dinasours didnt stand a chance against nature, even our scientific advancements cannot control nature, no matter how hard we try.

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Quiet Sun May Trigger Global Cooling

Could reduced sunspots be tied to temperatures on Earth?

That's what has astrophysicists and meteorologists wondering as the sun enters a prolonged "quiet period," a deviation from the usual 11-year sunspot cycle in which the dark blobs on our star's surface ebb and flow, reports National Geographic News.

And there may be a link to global warming — or, in this case, cooling. Current theories link an earlier solar quiet time to the "Little Ice Age," a cold snap that lasted from about 1300 to 1800 in Europe and North America.

During such "solar minimums," as they're called, the sun dims a bit, magnetic activity is reduced and solar storms are fewer. No one knows how long each will last until it's over.

Plus look at these numbers

The world hunger problem: Facts, figures and statistics

In the Asian, African and Latin American countries, well over 500 million people are living in what the World Bank has called "absolute poverty"

Every year 15 million children die of hunger

For the price of one missile, a school full of hungry children could eat lunch every day for 5 years

Throughout the 1990's more than 100 million children will die from illness and starvation. Those 100 million deaths could be prevented for the price of ten Stealth bombers, or what the world spends on its military in two days!

The World Health Organization estimates that one-third of the world is well-fed, one-third is under-fed one-third is starving- Since you've entered this site at least 200 people have died of starvation. Over 4 million will die this year.

One in twelve people worldwide is malnourished, including 160 million children under the age of 5. United Nations Food and Agriculture

The Indian subcontinent has nearly half the world's hungry people. Africa and the rest of Asia together have approximately 40%, and the remaining hungry people are found in Latin America and other parts of the world. Hunger in Global Economy

Nearly one in four people, 1.3 billion - a majority of humanity - live on less than $1 per day, while the world's 358 billionaires have assets exceeding the combined annual incomes of countries with 45 percent of the world's people. UNICEF

3 billion people in the world today struggle to survive on US$2/day.

In 1994 the Urban Institute in Washington DC estimated that one out of 6 elderly people in the U.S. has an inadequate diet.

In the U.S. hunger and race are related. In 1991 46% of African-American children were chronically hungry, and 40% of Latino children were chronically hungry compared to 16% of white children.

The infant mortality rate is closely linked to inadequate nutrition among pregnant women. The U.S. ranks 23rd among industrial nations in infant mortality. African-American infants die at nearly twice the rate of white infants.

One out of every eight children under the age of twelve in the U.S. goes to bed hungry every night.

Half of all children under five years of age in South Asia and one third of those in sub-Saharan Africa are malnourished.

In 1997 alone, the lives of at least 300,000 young children were saved by vitamin A supplementation programmes in developing countries.

Malnutrition is implicated in more than half of all child deaths worldwide - a proportion unmatched by any infectious disease since the Black Death

About 183 million children weigh less than they should for their age

To satisfy the world's sanitation and food requirements would cost only US$13 billion- what the people of the United States and the European Union spend on perfume each year.

The assets of the world's three richest men are more than the combined GNP of all the least developed countries on the planet.

Every 3.6 seconds someone dies of hunger

It is estimated that some 800 million people in the world suffer from hunger and malnutrition, about 100 times as many as those who actually die from it each year.
Text

library.thinkquest.org...

Global cooling will be much worse the global warming.

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
Quiet Sun May Trigger Global Cooling

Could reduced sunspots be tied to temperatures on Earth?

That's what has astrophysicists and meteorologists wondering as the sun enters a prolonged "quiet period," a deviation from the usual 11-year sunspot cycle in which the dark blobs on our star's surface ebb and flow, reports National Geographic News.

Take a look at this.

May 29, 2009: An international panel of experts led by NOAA and sponsored by NASA has released a new prediction for the next solar cycle. Solar Cycle 24 will peak, they say, in May 2013 with a below-average number of sunspots.

NASA

Atleast will you accept that the temperature will rise in 2013 when the sun reaches solar max or will you deny that?

Plus look at these numbers

The world hunger problem: Facts, figures and statistics

I really do appreciate in bringing forward these data here. Please answer my question, how do you think that poverty occurs in these countries?

[edit on May 30th, 2009 by peacejet]

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

Those were my exact thoughts stormdancer- The number seems to just be pulled out of a hat.. there's nothing that shows how they determined which deaths were due to "climate change" and which deaths aren't. How do we know this drought was caused by global warming, but this one wasn't?

Its a load of horse dung, and the putrid stench is making me ill.

Also its funny how they now call it "climate change" which is a catch all- anything the climate does is done by humans, give me a break.

[edit on 30-5-2009 by Ketzer22]

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by peacejet

Peacejet, you mention Katrina, but since Katrina has there been another catastrophic hurricane? I don't think Katrina is part of a growing trend as much as it was a perfect storm scenario. It caused plenty of destruction, but look where it hit. Had it hit Florida I'd wager to bet the damage would've been substantially less significant. Katrina was like a wet dream for global warming enthusiasts.

Its not like Hurricane Katrina was an overtly powerful storm- it was a category 3, which lends further credence to the fact that it was a wrong place at the wrong time type scenario.

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 12:27 PM
link   
I think this global warming issue is very silly.

It will be used as an excuse to control the population and control behaviour.

The fact is we can handle the growth in population through science and technology. The problem is governments and some in the private sector keep technology and science away from the people in the name of finding a new weapon or the people can't handle these things.

We could never get to 6 billion people if we couldn't handle it. Nature would have corrected it by now.

We can handle it but we will not because science and technology is classified in the name of finding a new weapon.

So these people who think they are the elite will manufacture a crisis that will kill a bunch of people.

It's like the Bible says:

In the name of peace, he will destroy many.

In the name of saving the planet, they will kill billions of people.

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Climate change, is such a broad term that they can blame anything on it. Sort of like Schizophrenia and Clinical Depression. Both of them have the same broad descriptions to where doctors can confuse one for the other, but they are two very different "illnesses".

The problem with all this stuff is when you start trying "cure" or "treat" these complications and there isn't enough information to distinguish the two from each other.

Same thing with Climate Change, how they can almost completely dismiss the sun as one of the factors is beyond me. Arrogance, stupidity, secret agenda? Probably all of the above.

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Hastobemoretolife

Hastobemoretolife- your post shared many of the same thoughts as my last post. How its a catch all to any climate change at all.

Platosallegory- I agree with you.. the Green Movement is disguised as being for the best, but how much harm can you do before its just not worth it?

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 12:48 PM
link   
For instance, how long have we been seeing green technology concept cars?

I know I have been seeing them for years. Electric cars, fuel cell, air pressure, ethanol, cars that run on sugar cane and more. You always here, they might be on the street 10 years from now, when they should have been on the streets 10 years ago.

You have the oil lobby and the automobile lobby pay off crooked politicians to stop these things from hitting the street and the E.P.A. will come out with a study that says this technology is not ready for the street.

Oil companies do research on these technologies and then sit on it, while producing pretty commercials that say they are looking for a solution.

So we can handle the population growth,.

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Ketzer22

I would like to point out an error in that. Katrina did hit florida but as a category1 storm, and as it crosssed into the gulf of mexico it again regained its energy and this time into a category five storm.

The tropical storm continued to move towards Florida, and became a hurricane only two hours before it made landfall between Hallandale Beach and Aventura, Florida on the morning of August 25. The storm weakened over land, but it regained hurricane status about one hour after entering the Gulf of Mexico.[3]

The storm rapidly intensified after entering the Gulf, growing from a Category 3 hurricane to a Category 5 hurricane in just nine hours. This rapid growth was due to the storm's movement over the "unusually warm" waters of the Loop Current, which increased wind speeds

wiki

And what causes the strength of hurricanes? Warm waters. What is the reason for the unusually warm water? Global Warming. It is as simple as that. And just because there have been no katrina sized storms over the past two years doesnt mean that this is a one of a kind event. This can occur anytime in the future.

And please think out of the box, just because you dont experience anything in florida doesnt mean that other parts of the world too are relatively well off.

[edit on May 30th, 2009 by peacejet]

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 07:51 PM
link   
The human race has as much chance of affecting the global climate on a large scale as we have of affecting the length of the day. As soon as people start realizing this, then we all have a chance of surviving this by adapting.

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Ketzer22

I was reading into carbon credit trading,

Another facet of global warming that really doesn't sit right.

Seems to me just another elitist scam to make billions.

Carbon trading: How the Chicago Climate Exchange Works

Carbon Trading: How the Chicago Climate Exchange Works

A carbon exchange is like a stock exchange for pollution. The idea of trading in greenhouse gases has its roots in the Kyoto Protocol. This is the international treaty to reduce levels of gases that trap heat and are linked to climate change.

The Chicago Climate Exchange is known as the CCX. It provides a market for businesses to trade on the release and capture of carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases.

Agricultural businesses can earn credits because plants remove carbon dioxide from the air. The process is called carbon sequestration.

There's an interesting article here too:

The great carbon credit con

If you are right about the millons of deaths occuring and to follow, then this kind of financial speculation from global warming needs to stop.

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Ok, apologies, it was a category 5 storm. Still, its not like we haven't seen category 5 hurricanes in the past, and my point about if it hit Florida it woudln't have been anywhere near as bad still stands. TIP- Don't live under sea level when you live in a coastal city (good things can't come of it).

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 08:42 PM
link   
my biggest problem with more hurricanes being caused by global warming is nothing support that.

I fact just the opposite higher global temperatures will cause more frequent El Nino weather patterns.

El Nino weather patterns block hurricanes from forming in the alantic.
ww2010.atmos.uiuc.edu...(Gh)/guides/mtr/hurr/enso.rxml
www.aoml.noaa.gov...
books.google.com... c90hSr_QPJasMs7h7aYJ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=8#PPA75,M1

At the point that the El Nino weather pattern become permanent there will be few hurricanes except for the area off China, and India
since China and India are doing nothing to bring down CO2 levels and in fact doing Everything to raise CO2 levels they will be the biggest targets for the problem they will produce in the future.

In the US the desert southwest will get many times more rain then it does now and become prime farmland.
Very few areas of the US will receive less rain under a El Nino

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join