It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

IF you came accross a race like ours in space, would you greet them? (Y/N)

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 04:21 AM
link   
MODS, i think this is where it should be, it deals with alien contact so, i placed it here, if its in the wrong forum area, please move. thanks!)

I was driving home and I asked myself a question.

If I was a space explorer, and I came across a planet like ours, with a race like ours, would I come down from the sky and greet them?

And my immediate answer was HELL NO!!

Why, you ask?

Point One: We are NOT a peaceful species. OUR HISTORY is littered with WARS, corruption, lies, etc. WE ARE DANGEROUS as a species. Think to yourself, this is true.

Point two: We are ARROGANT & IGNORANT. Again look at our history. We once thought the earth was the center of the universe, we once thought the world was flat, and we believe in different gods and have fought wars over this. Again back to point one, our arrogance & ignorance leads us to violence. Also to add we all thought that we were god’s special creatures; that the universe was made for us…

Point three: we live in a technological era yet we are letting people starve in third world countries. We are a service to self species. We usually care for ourselves instead of helping others. YES there are some who help the poor, and try to get food to the needy, but yet we have not done that at a global scale. If I saw that a race was treating its own kind like animals, I would try to stay away from them at all costs.

I would list more points, but I’m pretty sure YOU ATS’ERS would like to add a few reasons to not land on earth and greet us. (Also post reasons why you would, if you disagree with me.)

I think these are a few reasons of many that ET has not yet landed on the White house lawn to greet the human race.

We’re not ready as a species to accept the fact we are not alone. We are too dangerous to explore the universe with our immediate history. We are too blind as a whole to see that the universe is for all of us, not just humans but ALL life in general.

Just my thought to why we are not seeing ET come down yet… if we can change our ways, then maybe they could let us in. but for the time being, I doubt they would be coming down anytime soon. If we can’t even get along with our own race, what makes you think we can get along with an alien race?

Please leave your thoughts, or reasons to why YOU would want or not want to land on a planet with a race like ours.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 04:46 AM
link   
I wouldn't. I'd be too ashamed of our own race. After we kill all politicians and lawyers and dismantle the police institution I might say hi

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 04:47 AM
link   

Point One: We are NOT a peaceful species. OUR HISTORY is littered with WARS, corruption, lies, etc. WE ARE DANGEROUS as a species. Think to yourself, this is true.

It's also filled with art, love, striving for peace, bravery, hope, and potential.

Point two: We are ARROGANT & IGNORANT. Again look at our history. We once thought the earth was the center of the universe, we once thought the world was flat, and we believe in different gods and have fought wars over this. Again back to point one, our arrogance & ignorance leads us to violence. Also to add we all thought that we were god’s special creatures; that the universe was made for us…

Yes, a excellent example would be that the belief that the belief that the Earth was flat was common in the ancient world.

Big surprise. We are, as far as we can tell, the only people on this planet, at least, the only ones we can understand.
We've had no guides, no one to compare ourselves to, we're just here making the best of it.
Have we screwed up? Yes, often and repeatedly.
Occasionally we get things right for a bit, but nothing lasts forever.
You're throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

As a group, we're probably not ready, we may be getting there, but we're still very much limited to this world.
I've always wondered if aliens have their version of the Prime Directive from Star Trek.
Let a society continue until contact is unavoidable. Be a great anthropology study.

Honestly, I'd greet them. And, probably turn them away if they offered to help. If we can't get there ourselves...

[edit on 28-5-2009 by RuneSpider]

[edit on 28-5-2009 by RuneSpider]

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 04:51 AM
link   
I for one wouldn't

Instead I would start abducting some of them, implant embryos and perform tests that genetically alter their whole consciousness being.

Once the embryos have reached a healthy stage I would abduct those people again and remove their 'phantom' babies. Next I would then nurture the babies until they have developed in to a clone of that species within a short space of time, after that I would intergrate the clones within the population and ensure that they go straight in to power to be more effective.

After a space of time the general population will start to accept change and then start to realise how agressive and greedy they are which in turn will have a knock on effect with the level of awarenss that they show others which in turn will increase the compassion levels needed to ensure a friendly and successful contact.

Haven't I heard of this before?

[edit on 28-5-2009 by franspeakfree]

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 04:59 AM
link   
I would destroy or contain an alien species like ours.

It's just safer that way... Who really wants America, the planet, running around the galaxy?

Ok, maybe you're a good patriot, and you think anything America does is just swell. Then imagine the USSR doing it, or China, or Israel, or North Korea, etc.

We're just too damned dangerous. I don't see any alien species greeting us warmly, unless that alien species has invented some fool proof way to not be wiped out of existence by a hostile, domineering, controlling, sadistic species like our own. Unless their idea of a "warm greeting" involves lighting our planet on fire

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 05:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by franspeakfree
I for one wouldn't

Instead I would start abducting some of them, implant embryos and perform tests that genetically alter their whole consciousness being.

Once the embryos have reached a healthy stage I would abduct those people again and remove their 'phantom' babies. Next I would then nurture the babies until they have developed in to a clone of that species within a short space of time, after that I would intergrate the clones within the population and ensure that they go straight in to power to be more effective.

After a space of time the general population will start to accept change and then start to realise how agressive and greedy they are which in turn will have a knock on effect with the level of awarenss that they show others which in turn will increase the compassion levels needed to ensure a friendly and successful contact.

Haven't I heard of this before?

[edit on 28-5-2009 by franspeakfree]

HAHAHA star for you.

yes, i have heard of that one too

if there was a sarcasm meter somewhere, it is now broken. that made me fall out of my chair!!

thanks for the laugh fran...

RUNE,

GOOD POINTS! (star for you)
but were still a violent species although some of us do spread love, while others spread hate. we still need to become a fully peaceful species and start to understand each other instead of being each others rivals.

Also, yea we are making progress, but how much longer until we are ready?

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 05:15 AM
link   
I don't understand why people are so negative towards their own race! You should be proud to be a human! Think of how much we have achieved and how fast we are evolving.

We are a young race and yes there are flaws in our systems and we fight each other, but that is what it takes to become better and stronger!

You should be ashamed of yourselves for believing such nonsense!

My answer is "Yes" I would probably help them progress through the hard times that we also face or faced!

[edit on 28-5-2009 by The Shade]

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 05:23 AM
link   
Like ours?

I would have to say no.

It's not what that society would need.

If we were to contact them, many of them would begin to worship us and look to us to provide the answers to their problems. That is dangerous for them, and for us.

They would need to find their own way into the interstellar community. Hell - if we made it, they can too.

That said - once they linked up with the community - I'd be more than happy to welcome them in.

I'm not naive - war is a part of our society - and always will be. We will have to learn to accept this as part of who we are before we can move on to bigger and better things. It's like learning that you have to take a poop and isn't pleasant. If you go around trying to figure out how to not poop and deny the processes of who/what you are.... then you'll never be able to move on to learning and experiencing the more appealing and pleasant things in life.

It would be naive to fault a species for being very proficient at military matters - especially one that has developed in competition with other species as a means of survival (we are predators - the most lethal pound-per-pound, even un-augmented).

I find it interesting, though, how our species is consumed by the concept of its own demise. One must wonder how unique we are in our contemplation of the destruction of our own civilization - the end of all we've come to create.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 05:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Shade
I don't understand why people are so negative towards their own race! You should be proud to be a human! Think of how much we have achieved and how fast we are evolving.

We are a young race and yes there are flaws in our systems and we fight each other, but that is what it takes to become better and stronger!

You should be ashamed of yourselves for believing such nonsense!

YOU missed the point of this thread. would you land? yes or no?

i was stating reasons to WHY ET has not made their presence KNOWN to the human race. you have not even pointed out a reason to be proud. you just typed away, disregarding the topic, criticizing the thought in the thread w/o even staying on topic.

READ!

(ah so you edited and added ur answer, OK i take that back)

so you would help then eh?

[edit on 5/28/2009 by ugie1028]

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 05:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by ugie1028
i was stating reasons to WHY ET has not made their presence KNOWN to the human race.

I don't think it's a matter of them not letting us know they exist.....

I mean... if we're too damned dumb to look up at the sky and take note... then would you really care to waste time conversing with a species too dumb or arrogant to take note of you?

I think war has little to do with it. If you go back through history - there are many documents and references that allude to flying ships/vessels having wars over our planet for whatever reasons they may have.

Any species that 'evolves' with traits that are conducive to observation and manipulation of the physical universe would likely be a predator. Observation and manipulation are key to developing a technological understanding of the universe. As such - it's likely that any advanced society is a predator (assuming similar biological origins to our own) by nature and likely has strong competitive drives and has wars like we do.

Of course - that's rather speculative. Perhaps some aliens developed without any competition at all - they are the only life from their source of origin. The concept of war would be quite alien to them.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 06:06 AM
link   

I would greet it to tell it not to trust us at all because as soon as we get a chance, we will use it as much as we can until we cannot use it anymore... then we'll screw it over.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 06:08 AM
link   

And my immediate answer was HELL NO!!

And i agree with you cause if they are anything like us there first responce will be to ram a nuke up my a**!

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 06:16 AM
link   
You know you'd want to go down and meet the green ladys just like kirk haha

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 06:42 AM
link   
reply to post by ugie1028

well, maybe they can teach us a better way...? I remember an incident where an EBE supposedly said humans were afflicted with the thought virus.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 06:43 AM
link   
With his post OP has answered common question here : why is there no disclosure.

aliens think that for themselves. hehe

if you think that we are so negative species, filled with war ,blah,blah- well we evolved as most perfect predator on earth. if we were so peacefull and respectfull and elightened while we were in diapers as a species we would be long gone.
nature of predators is to be on top of food chain. and by conquering all other species we just turned to internal domination like wars.

going in space for colonizing it and spreading human species - sounds to me like predator behaviour.

but didn't aliens evolve like predators also - to be dominant and evolved species on a planet you must be a predator so...

enough of thinking - on your question i would answer YES i would greet them but with my laser proton photon torpedo like thingy switched ON.

if i have nothing like that - maybe ill watch someone's back while he does the greeting thing.
never saw a rabbit greeting new fox in woods

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 06:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aim64C

i was stating reasons to WHY ET has not made their presence KNOWN to the human race.

I don't think it's a matter of them not letting us know they exist.....

I mean... if we're too damned dumb to look up at the sky and take note... then would you really care to waste time conversing with a species too dumb or arrogant to take note of you?

I think war has little to do with it. If you go back through history - there are many documents and references that allude to flying ships/vessels having wars over our planet for whatever reasons they may have.

Any species that 'evolves' with traits that are conducive to observation and manipulation of the physical universe would likely be a predator. Observation and manipulation are key to developing a technological understanding of the universe. As such - it's likely that any advanced society is a predator (assuming similar biological origins to our own) by nature and likely has strong competitive drives and has wars like we do.

Of course - that's rather speculative. Perhaps some aliens developed without any competition at all - they are the only life from their source of origin. The concept of war would be quite alien to them.

good points. but supposedly they are millions of years ahead of us right? that would make us primitive compared to them, and therefore, they probably weeded out the problem of violence amongst themselves a very long time ago.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 07:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Dinamo

were a young species of course. compared to them at least most likely. they weeded out that aspect a long time ago.

if we use your example of colonization of other worlds, why would you give a race the potential to do that?

I mean with the limited planets out there, wouldn't they want more to themselves instead of the humans conquering everything?

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 07:13 AM
link   
reply to post by ugie1028

maybe they don't prefer planets that we categorize as habitable.
they like rocky sulphur sea beaches.

or maybe they reproduce slowly so they need no extra planets.

or maybe they are only specie on their planet so they are pretty naive with carnovores hehe

maybe, maybe but i would be scarred to sh*t if i greet them and find they like meat.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 07:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Dinamo

maybe this maybe that, but, lets hope were not cattle...

wait...

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 08:18 AM
link   
In reverse, maybe the OP's question answers the one about aliens contacting us. Maybe they've asked themselves the same question and decided we're too warlike, violent, greedy, selfish etc. for them to risk a handshake. Why would they? I reckon they might decide to hang out for a few millennia until we at least started to show signs that we were capable of joining an interplanetary-style alliance. Then maybe...

There's a good take on this topic HERE...

In answer to the original question, sadly I guess I'd need some convincing before greeting a race like ours

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join