It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meet the Family: North Korea

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Hi all,

This is just a short catch up for people wondering what the hell is going on with the North Korean 'government' right now. While I'm no expert, I've always been interested in Nth Korea (for some reason I don't really understand) and started looking into this a few weeks ago. It's taken some time to whittle down the info to something short and concise. So here's my short and sweet political intro to Nth Korea! Enjoy if you can!

Nth Korea's a scary country. Everything is painted this calming pale blue (goto Google Earth and take a look). Not much seems to grow around Pyongyang, and everything looks barren and, well, basically dead. Dead and concrete.

Anyway, this is who matters in Nth Korea and what might happen if Lil Kim were to leave.

Kim Jong-il

Feeling disrespected by the party after his father's death, Kim Jong-il strongly came to favour the military, from which power base his replacement could likely come.

Lil Kim was raised in isolation brought about by his high political position. Although he may have counted people as friends in his early days, once confirmed as successor to Great Leader Kim Il-sung, poor Lil Kim's identity had been confirmed. He was the Great General, son of the Eternal Leader.

Unable to make genuine political and societal connections, Lil Kim has had to rely on intimidation and fear to achieve political gains. Since his succession in 1994, Lil Kim has had a close group of six or seven generals as consorts, and between them they pretty much run the whole country. This worked relatively well in the beginning, but as the old guard dies off we are starting to see the relative balance upset and the more hawkish generals influencing all aspects of policy decision.

This cannot be good for any nation, yet alone one that is on it's financial knees already. At present Lil Kim has almost lost what little control he had over the country and is aware of this. This is one son that could never emerge fully from his fathers shadow.

The Rest of the Family

Lil Kim has three known sons by two women. The oldest, Kim Jong-nam, was long considered his favourite - until he was caught trying to sneak into Japan using a fake Dominican passport to visit the Disney resort in 2001.
The middle son, Kim Jong-chol, apparently has never been a favourite as a possible successor.
That leaves Kim Jong-il, the youngest son. He's 26/27. Kinda feels like the weight of the whole family dynasty has fallen on this kid. Not a lot is really known about him (although there are rumours floating around of his formulative years.) Recently he has gone to ground, staying very close to his dad (understandable after Lil Kims medical problems recently) He does not have a Face Book account.
So out of the kids, just Kim Jong-un seem like he has the mettle to try and maintain the family leadership. Kim Jong-nam is an outside bet, seeing as he's been basically banished from Lil Kims life. If he decided to try it would be as Great Leader Kim Il-sung 's grandson, not as the son of Lil Kim. Nth Koreans are weird that way.

The Military and how they run North Korea

For the past 12 years, North Korea has officially pursued a "military first policy" (Songun) under the banner of "powerful and prosperous country" (Kangsong Taeguk). This has allowed the Nth Korean Military to take a key place in Nth Korea's political scene. In the event that Kim Jong-il were to fall from power, or pass away, the military could seize control of North Korea. So who could take over control of crazy town? (To Be Continued)

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 08:31 AM
link   

This man may be the second most crazy man in Nth Korea (General Kim Kyok-sik)
General Kim Kyok-sik: Came out as the new chief of general staff of the KPA out of nowhere. Has political control over the army. There wasn't even an announcement on state tv or radio. He basically just showed up accompanying Lil Kim on visits to military units during end of April. General Kim Kyok-sik is the rock to Lil Kims roll. He makes everything else look small and insignificant when they're together.

Vice Marshal Kim Yong-chun: Was promoted to vice chairman of the National Defence Commission (NDC) - the most powerful decision-making authority in the country, chaired by Kim Jong-il himself.

Ok lets play Guess Who... So - does your guy wear glasses? One of these guys is Marshal Kim Yong-chun - the new chief of general staff of the NDC

Found him! Over Lil Kims left hand side, next to the guy selflessly allowing the Great General to steal a photo op from him. (Marshal Kim Yong-chun)

Lil Kim may thus be counterbalancing Kim Yong-chun's strong influence by removing him from direct control of the military. If Kim Yong-chun were to serve both as chief of General Staff and first vice chairman of the NDC, he might become too powerful a figure within the regime and pose a serious threat to Lil Kim.

There are several more Generals, all much the same as the others.

Basically, if Lil Kim's successor comes from the military:

We would forget his name all the time
He would be interchangeable with another Nth Korean in the same suit and not many people would notice
He will most likely wear glasses
Would be no match for Lil Kim on the basketball court
Most likely be initially hawkish, but over time would (hopefully) loosen up a bit.

The old guard are slowly dying off. For example, the NDC's first vice chairman Vice Marshal Jo Myong-rok, who is the country's No 2. He's 79 and rumoured to be terminally ill. With a possible war approaching, rumour has it that the Vice Marshal has been stripped of his powers leaving nothing but a figurehead for the Korean army.

So who are the young guys replacing them? Good question. Can't really remember any names apart from Kim Jong-un. Not being lazy, but try and remember all the names in this article ten minutes after reading this and see how many you can recall. Welcome to my world. Is it wrong I want to rename them all with western names? Kim Jong-un could be Brian. Thats much easier to remember.

It comes down to Family vs. Army. Some army guys support the Family, some the Army. not many of them support the people.

For awhile the idea of a true communist society was floated about – a system that worshipped both the Great Leader Kim Il-sung and Lil Kim as providers and saviours to their country, and relied on a shadowy cabal of Generals and politicians to decree orders, which would be based on the ideological ideas left behind by this great father/son team. Big Kim and Little Kim were to leave a bible from which a new communist era would emerge. Ultimately this method of governance is bound to fail over such a large area and has been largely scrapped.

Two Possible Results from the Next Crisis

First of all, I believe there will be an escalation of this current crisis. Maybe not a military reaction, but it will be treated by Nth Korea as such. Nth Korea wants to go to war it seems and it's already in that mindset.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 08:36 AM
link   
But here's what could happen: if the 7th Council of Workers are finally assembled again (the last time was 1994, to announce Lil Kims leadership succession) before whatever crisis begins then it will be to announce a successor from the family line. Thats all they basically do. Probably Kim Jong-un. This would work if Kim does it before launching into a war. Filled with grand pompousness and celebration, this would be the 'legitimate' way to introduce the world to its newest douche bag. (Sorry if I'm wrong, but the odds are you're not a nice guy).

It would relieve international tensions and might even get some aid flowing back into Nth Korea. Although I'm not really sure if Lil Kim want to help his country, or if it's so far out of control he thinks he can eclipse his father by plunging into war.

Or

The military will call a coup and replace Lil Kim after the crisis, exiling his family to stop Kims sons from launching a counter-claim for the leadership position. North Korea doesn't have to actually be in a war. Just having a crisis of some kind and thinking that it's in one would be enough.

Hope you're just as confused and muddled by this situation as I am.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Here's a bunch of links for anyone interested in reading more into this (I don't recommend it though)

Nth Korean News

Future of Nth Korea

Asian News

Kims son ready to take the leadership?

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 09:52 AM
link   
great read

lil kimmy sure is a nutty lil man

a lot of what you say sounds pretty close to what i think.

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 06:07 AM
link   
Can't edit my former post, but one of the external images redirect back to the thread for some reason.

Here's the same pic of Marshal Kim Yong-chun. Original caption: Found him! Over Lil Kims left hand side, next to the guy selflessly allowing the Great General to steal a photo op from him. (Marshal Kim Yong-chun)

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Nice job shamus, people dont understand how hard to get these names. I kinda love stories about NK but wasnt aware of other leaders (Kim Jong Il is the only thing). SnF for the names..and pic!

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Any chance you ran across some of the NK propaganda?

Some is just pure awesomeness
I want that pic as a poster

I wish we had quality propaganda instead of just Fox news... This stuff
Is fun quality stuff.

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 07:39 AM
link   
A lot of research has been put into this post, and it was an interesting read. There really is nothing stopping Lil Kim from taking one last stand and starting a war before he kicks the bucket. Would NK attack SK as Lil Kim's dying wish?

I watched a documentary on North Korea, a reporter had brought a camera into NK and filmed what its like there. It really does have a blue dull look to it, very depressing place with sick people not getting medical treatment and doing hard labor that in western countries was being done in the 1800's. I feel bad for the people of NK but lots of them warship his crazy F*.

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 07:43 AM
link   
reply to post by anthbes

I could actually see Kim Jong Il basically assassinating himself, or staging something super dramatic when he dies to have as big an impact on memories as he can get.
Crazy little bugger. I think "Napolean Complex" should be re branded to reference this rabid gnome.

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Would NK attack SK as Lil Kim's dying wish?

Remember Lil Kim is nutty, and a big, big fan of movies. I may just talking crud here, but I could see him wanting to go out in a blaze of glory. This would cement his rule as being glorious in the eyes of the remaining NK leadership. He kind of has big boots to fill, and so far has only managed to partially fill them (some what understandable when his Dad is compared with God). That would leave the stage for the successor to begin the process of co-operating with other countries.

I could actually see Kim Jong Il basically assassinating himself, or staging something super dramatic when he dies to have as big an impact on memories as he can get.

I agree Lordtyp0. Bigger is better, and the best way to remain in his peoples memories.

Wether or not this happens is a question only time can answer.

Cheers
Shane

edit on 19/9/10 by shamus78 because: Kim commanded me to make a change. Wasn't my choice

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by shamus78

Would NK attack SK as Lil Kim's dying wish?

Remember Lil Kim is nutty, and a big, big fan of movies. I may just talking crud here, but I could see him wanting to go out in a blaze of glory. This would cement his rule as being glorious in the eyes of the remaining NK leadership. He kind of has big boots to fill, and so far has only managed to partially fill them (some what understandable when his Dad is compared with God). That would leave the stage for the successor to begin the process of co-operating with other countries.

Wether or not this happens is a question only time can answer.

Cheers
Shane

edit on 19/9/10 by shamus78 because: spelling stuff

Yeah the gnome is definitely a drama queen. Like any good drama queen he is looking for that perfect moment to throw the hand across the brow and collapse in a big pile while fireworks go off all around... Sort of an ascent to heaven if you will.

I could even see him sneaking a large scale explosive device into south korea..

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 08:07 AM
link   
Thanks for the pic Lordtyp0!

If you look behind the main guy, you can see a whole bunch of guitar welding heroes rushing towards the enemy. Pure awesomeness. Still confused as to how they power those guitars without electricity though.

But I guess the power of awesomeness know no bounds...

Ha! And it's plugged into an amp! You don't see the poor guys struggling to keep up with the Guitar Brigade while pushing a stack of amps across the battlefield.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 08:12 AM
link   
I think they had a competition: Whoever did not scream or cry the hardest was forced to work in the mines..

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 08:48 AM
link   
www.gluckman.com...

more weird stuff from nk.

every 2 years.

oops this is most recent!

www.gadling.com...

top topics

join