It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man pushes would-be suicide jumper off bridge because he was taking too long

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 06:53 AM
link   

Man pushes would-be suicide jumper off bridge because he was taking too long

www.dailymail.co.uk

A passer-by pushed a would-be suicide jumper off a bridge because he was fed up at the man's 'selfish activity', Chinese media has reported.
Lian Jiansheng, 66, was passing by the Haizhu Bridge in the city of Guangzhou when he spotted Chen Fuchao threatening to jump.
Chen held up traffic for five hours, drawing a crowd at the bridge - and an impatient Lian finally decided enough was enough.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 06:53 AM
link   
He offered to talk Chen down but police refused to let him through a cordon. Determined, Lian pushed through anyway and climbed up to where Chen was sitting.
He greeted the distraught man with a handshake - then gave him a mighty shove.
Chen tumbled 26feet from the bridge to a partially-inflated emergency air cushion that police had - fortunately - had time to place on the ground below during the five preceding hours.
He survived with elbow and spine injuries and is now recovering in hospital, Chinese news agency Xinhua said.

Lian, a broad grin on his face, saluted the dumbfounded crowd as he watched Chen fall.
'I pushed him off because jumpers like Chen are very selfish. Their action violates a lot of public interest,' Lian told Xinhua.

'They do not really dare to kill themselves. Instead, they just want to raise the relevant government authorities' attention to their appeals.'
Chen wanted to kill himself because he had 2 million yuan ($294,000) in debt after a failed construction project, Xinhua reported.
Police took Lian away - but did not say whether he would be charged with any offence.
The bridge has gained a macabre reputation with 11 jumpers having thrown themselves off it in the just the last two months.

www.dailymail.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 06:55 AM
link   

I have got to say the way i some times road rage I cannot blame the guy for pushing the goon when he had been delayed for 5 hours.

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 06:57 AM
link   
Scuse me but I pissed myself laughing. A typically Chinese approach.

The guy on the bridge girder was doing it in a very public place to get attention and he got it, but not the sympathy which he really craved.

I think both gentlemen were at fault. I hope the guy who was pushed gets the help he needs.

I think the guy who pushed needs help too.

Was funny though :?)

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 07:01 AM
link   
I hope that spine injury isn't permanent. Back pain could make his life even worse, and being 200 grand in debt isn't going to make getting help any easier, that's for sure.

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 07:04 AM
link   
I am glad I am not the only one who found this story absolutely hilarious

I applaud the pusher, as I agree with him.

I hope a video comes out soon

[edit on 25/5/2009 by xxpigxx]

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 07:04 AM
link   
reply to post by On the level

In the end the guy lives traffic frees up and Mr. Lian can still sleep at night.

He had a point pushing him over though. Suicide is extremely selfish and if he is going to sit up there for five hours wasting everyones time then yes he needed a helping hand. Since he lived to see another day maybe he will think twice about threatening suicide again. Especially if he hadnt meant to go through with it.

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 07:29 AM
link   
There was already a thread about this. Anyway, if you take a look at the picture of the man who pushed the guy, it is quite clear that this person is insane. Unless of course this is some conspiracy where this bozo was paid by somebody to do it...you know, gets paid and then decides to remove his shoes, business shirt, shake the man's hand, then shove him down, sit down, laugh and salute.

I'll let you decide which is the more likely explanation.

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 07:36 AM
link   
I must admit that I had a good laugh when I heard about this on Saturday night from a friend. We both agreed that this guy simply did what most were thinking they would like to do to this overly dramatic attention seeker.

30 odd feet into a huge inflatable cushion... meh! I'd happily pay a couple of bucks for that rush!

IRM

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Glad the airbag was there. The fact that the man just had injuries and didn't splat on the pavement or injure or kill anyone else makes this a funny story.

Reminds me of a joke...

Back during the great depression, people often pleaded with businessmen not to end their lives by jumping from the many tall buildings in New York...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/dc5b5376be40.jpg[/atsimg]

Today, the attitude is somewhat different.

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Although I would never actually do it, I would certainly be tempted to give the guy a push.

If I had to sit in traffic for 5 hours, there's no telling what I might do!

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 08:24 AM
link   
I'm actually amazed you guys all thought that was funny. This wasn't the comics, but real life. And I'm amazed that it was half tolerated that someone has the right to push someone off the bridge for holding up traffic, due to being selfish enough to be breaking down in the is NAZI WORLD.

I guess many people have been trained well.

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 08:27 AM
link   
I will be in Guangzhou on Thursday.

Think I will be extra careful when crossing the bridge!

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Sorry if this was a duplicate thread, did a search and nothing came up, I find it funny too, especially the way he is saluting like a hero in the end pic, he deserves a nobel prize from drivers everywhere

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Actually something smiliar happened near my house. A man was going to jump from a overpass bridge down on to the on coming freeway traffic but for whatever reason he couldn't get the nerve. So instead of going about his business by leaving he stripped to his boxers(so he couldn't be grabbed i guess) and decided on staying there contemplating the jump. Well naturally the cops closed the motorway and deverted traffic of the nearest off ramp. Well after seven hours of this and massive traffic backups, motorist were getting really pissed off lol. A buddy of mine who works for the city that this happened in heard from a cop in that city that the cop was amazed at how many times he heared people yell, "jump you f'in *ussy", ect, ect. Guy never did though.

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by mystiq
I'm actually amazed you guys all thought that was funny. This wasn't the comics, but real life. And I'm amazed that it was half tolerated that someone has the right to push someone off the bridge for holding up traffic, due to being selfish enough to be breaking down in the is NAZI WORLD.

But it really IS funny. I posted this article on another forum the moment I saw it.

In reality the police should just physically remove the jumpers immediately instead of letting them hold everyone else a virtual hostage. Just go get them, if they jump fine, if they don't jump and get pulled off that is fine too.

These idiots are usually copy cats. The article said they have had ELEVEN jumpers holding up traffic since April. If they are really having a "breakdown" they can do it somewhere OTHER than an overpass. They are obviously doing it for attention, if they jumped with any frequency at all there would be LOTS of footage of it online (since no doubt the news media covers these 5 hour ordeals).

[edit on 25-5-2009 by Sonya610]

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 08:40 AM
link   
the guy should be given a medal for traffic enforcement

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by mystiq

I guess many people have been trained well.

I agree - I didn't find it funny at all and was aghast he was pushed off. Wow, I can't imagine feeling so depressed to contemplate ending your life and after a few hours some stranger gets through everyone and just pushes you off.

The suicidal person is selfish? Really? You think someone that suicidal will think, "Hmm, let me sit on the bridge and stop traffic for five hours and then be rescued." No, they think "I want to die" and try to find "some way" they can manage it. If you don't have a gun or pills throwing yourself off a height is a suicidal option.

People in that depressed state DON'T THINK STRAIGHT. So the compassion shown is to have him pushed and then laughed at, the pusher applauded for doing what everyone else thought?? I wouldn't think of pushing him - grabbing him off, yes, however it took but pushing? Gross. Gross. Gross.

Ah, the inhumanity! They have won people with this kind of attitude!

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by kshaund

Suicide is inherently selfish anyway, especially those dolts who make a big public song-and-dance about it.

No more "cries for help", just freaking do it or don't.

It's like the nutsacks who throw themselves infront of trains - er, yeah, like the driver was wanting to be so intimately associated with your suicide, asshat.

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by kshaund
The suicidal person is selfish? Really? You think someone that suicidal will think, "Hmm, let me sit on the bridge and stop traffic for five hours and then be rescued." No, they think "I want to die" and try to find "some way" they can manage it. If you don't have a gun or pills throwing yourself off a height is a suicidal option.

Threatening to jump off an OVERPASS is definitely selfish and attention seeking.

Anyone that was TRULY thinking of killing themselves would NOT do it on an overpass (unless they jumped immediately). They would realize the authorities will show up, plus they could kill a driver in a passing car if they landed on the windshield.

The overpass THREAT is frequent, you got any videos of them ACTUALLY doing it? They are copycats. A couple of summers there were several here in Atlanta and NONE of them jumped. As stated if they did jump there would be LOTS of video of it (falling off doesn't count).

[edit on 25-5-2009 by Sonya610]

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join