It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mason Symbols in Peterborough Cathedral

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 11:12 AM
link   
As promised here are the pictures and video of the Mason symbols from Peterborough Cathedral.

Here is some reading material about the cathedral:

en.wikipedia.org...

I have never seen anything like some of these, truly one of a kind. Sorry the quality is not good I used my phone to take the pictures and video.

This first one is a Masonic Compass with the All seeing eye in the middle of the compass.

media.abovetopsecret.com...

This next one is one with a Compass with a cross and crown on top of the compass.

Here is a second picture I took.

Here is a random one in there.

Here is the videos where they are located.

So has anyone ever seen mason symbols like this? And what is the signifigance of the symbolism on them?

Edit: I have a few other videos I will be uploading later.

-Kdial1

[edit on 23-5-2009 by kdial1]

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 11:41 AM
link   
I found out what the Cross and the crown is.

Scottish Rite 18th Degree
Rose Croix

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/ce680918efc199a0.jpg[/atsimg]

Still wondering what the one with the All seeing eye in the middle is....

-Kdial1

[edit on 23-5-2009 by kdial1]

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 12:24 PM
link   
very nice pictures. It looks like a realy cool place with great arcitecture.
Thanks for posting these.

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by kdial1

Picture 1: Usually the curved ruler is given Past Masters (someone who has served as Worshipful Master). The all-seeing eye is a symbol for the Deity (different depending on the Brother's religious beliefs). It is a symbol not specific just to the Masons. Many religions have used it and many painters have used it to symbolize God.

Picture 2: The symbol on the right could possibly be a Scottish Rite symbol, I'm not in the rite...yet. On the left, the symbol in the middle of the Star of David you see in the Royal Arch Masons.

Picture 3: The symbol to the left of the Star of David is seen in the Royal Arch too.

Picture 4: Square & Compass with 'G' - common Masonic symbol

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 01:18 AM
link   
Thanks for the pics! Nice job, dude.

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 06:33 AM
link   
Thanks for the compliments everyone.

Now I know we have alot of people on here and especially alot of Masons, could any of you explain what this means? I have never seen a Mason symbol like this before.... I am not sure if this pre-dates the founding of America. I know the cathedral does for sure..... Anyone? \

This is a Mason compass with an all seeing eye in the middle.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/5c412999a64ed4a9.jpg[/atsimg]

-Kdial1

[edit on 25-5-2009 by kdial1]

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 07:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by kdial1
I have never seen a Mason symbol like this before.... I am not sure if this pre-dates the founding of America. I know the cathedral does for sure..... Anyone?

Would you clarify the significance of the "founding of America" in this context? I'm not being narky, I am just confused as to the implication that "America" is important concerning the symbolism of Freemasonry? It may just be my scanning of the sentence in which case I apologise for being pedantic
Were you just using it as a term of reference outlining the antiquity of the piece?

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 07:44 AM
link   
reply to post by kdial1

I am offering a guess since my reaserch is ending up not pointing me in the right direction. In the US our sqare and compases usualy have the letter G in the middlle, but that symbolism is not used in the UK. What I have found is that that symbol is called a traditional squre and compas. So untill I find out more, I would say it represents the all seeing eye of God (GAOTU) as the center of masonry. I will send an e-mail to a friend who might know.

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by SugarCube

I have never seen a Mason symbol like this before.... I am not sure if this pre-dates the founding of America. I know the cathedral does for sure..... Anyone?

Would you clarify the significance of the "founding of America" in this context? I'm not being narky, I am just confused as to the implication that "America" is important concerning the symbolism of Freemasonry? It may just be my scanning of the sentence in which case I apologise for being pedantic
Were you just using it as a term of reference outlining the antiquity of the piece?

Yes, I was referring to the aniquity of the piece. Alot of the pictures I have on here of freemasonry are late 16th century early 17th century pieces/marks/art.

America has nothing to do with this.... I just want to know if this pre dates Americas "offical founding" This is beautiful freemasonry artwork and I want to get the history right when I am talking about this.....seems like this is all hidden in history somewhere. If I were to place this piece I would say it is around late 17th century early 18th century.... Right around the war in America....

-Kdial1

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by network dude
reply to post by kdial1

I am offering a guess since my reaserch is ending up not pointing me in the right direction. In the US our sqare and compases usualy have the letter G in the middlle, but that symbolism is not used in the UK. What I have found is that that symbol is called a traditional squre and compas. So untill I find out more, I would say it represents the all seeing eye of God (GAOTU) as the center of masonry. I will send an e-mail to a friend who might know.

I asked one of my friends who is a Master Mason (in the US). He let me know they were ancient Jewish and masonic symbols, he said they have not been prevalent in sometime. He also said that I may find that the history and journey of these symbols leads to America. He also said he could not give me the meaning of some of them because it had to be my journey.

If you notice I took a picture of the traditional Compass and square with the "G" in the same cathedral. It is in my OP... So if this predates the United States.... This was directly across from the Scottish 18th degree rose croix.

Be interesting to hear if your friend gives a similar answer..... Somehow I did feel a wierd connection while there in the cathedral analyzing these symbols.

-Kdial1

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 10:56 AM
link   
I don't have any specific additions to make here, my brethren have done a pretty good job so far. My only word of caution is that it's quite possible (if not probable) that the symbols haven't always been there and could have been added at a later date. A lot of the elements of Freemasonry were around earlier, but Freemasonry as we know it today didn't gel until 1717. The Scottish & York Rites really came into their own in the mid 1800s. So it's fine to say such-and-such cross is today used in the 18th degree of the Scottish Rite, but it's possible that either the cross was put in the church before there WAS an 18th degree in the Scottish Rite, or conversely if it does convey that degree, it hasn't been there as long as you're supposing.

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by JoshNorton

Very true, but my good friend that is a Master Mason assures me that some of these symbols predate the founding of America, putting them around the 17th century.

What do you think about the Star of David? Next to the Scottish 18th degree rite? Signifigance?

-Kdial1

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 01:47 PM
link   

reply to post by JoshNorton

Very true, but my good friend that is a Master Mason assures me that some of these symbols predate the founding of America, putting them around the 17th century.

What do you think about the Star of David? Next to the Scottish 18th degree rite? Signifigance?
Sure. Some of the symbolism in Masonry goes back to Pythagorus or earlier. The hexagram has its meaning, whether as Star of David or Seal of Solomon or otherwise. As does the triple-tau inscribed within it.

I'm just saying that the symbols weren't put into the church until the late 1800s.
From The cathedral church of Peterborough : a description of its fabric and a brief history of the episcopal see

It was very soon realised that nothing short of rebuilding the tower from the foundation would meet the case. The first stone was taken down on April 5th, and the tower and two eastern piers were removed by August. The western piers were soon afterwards condemned, and taken down the following year. The chief corner stone of the new tower at the north-eastern pier, was laid with full masonic ceremonial on May 7th 1884, by the Earl of Carnarvon, acting for the Prince of Wales. All the stones, as taken down, were numbered, and every one that could be used again was replaced in its original position.

The whole of the internal fittings of the choir (speaking now of the ritual choir) are new, and are part of the recent restoration. The new woodwork began to be placed in position in 1890. There is indeed a little old work, which was in the old choir before it was altered in the early part of this century. When removed, some of the front desks had been placed in the morning chapel, though much of the projecting tracery work was taken off. It was realised, when the existing stall-work was being designed, that these would be very suitable for use in their old position. Accordingly, all that could be so used have been placed again in the choir, with their traceried panels restored ; and the new work is made of the same character. The New Stalls are of the finest oak, with miserere seats ; the backs have rich tracery, with raised shields, moulded groined ceilings, and carved bosses at the intersection of the ribs. They are surmounted by octagonal canopies, in three stages, the upper-most containing a niche for a carved figure to each stall, while other figures, of much smaller size, are to be seen below. A few have at the back the armorial bearings of the donor, or some other symbol, such as the masonic emblems in those given by the Freemasons of England. The names of the cathedral officers and others to wliom the different stalls are assigned, have been inscribed on the label at the head of each ; and it is intended on each to record the donor's name.
(emphasis added)

It would seem, looking further in that document, that the Freemasons contributed a sum of money for the restoration of the church. (Also, amusingly enough, one of the rooms in the church may have been used as a Masonic meeting place at some point in the past.)

[edit on 5/25/2009 by JoshNorton]

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 09:03 PM
link   

As promised here are the pictures and video of the Mason symbols from Peterborough Cathedral.

AS noted already - great pictures. Thanks for posting them.

This first one is a Masonic Compass with the All seeing eye in the middle of the compass.

This is the symbol specifically used by the Grand Master of the United Grand Lodge of England...

THE GRAND MASTER. The compasses extended over an arc of 45°, with the segment of a circle at the points and a gold plate included, on which is to be represented an eye within a triangle, both irradiated.

Extremely unusual to find - but the explanation has already been provided to us:

The chief corner stone of the new tower at the north-eastern pier, was laid with full masonic ceremonial on May 7th 1884, by the Earl of Carnarvon, acting for the Prince of Wales.

At the time the Prince of Wales was the Grand Master, and the Earl of Carnarvon a senior freemason.

This next one is one with a Compass with a cross and crown on top of the compass.

As already noted, this is the symbol for the 18th degree in the Ancient and Accepted Rite, known more commonly in the US as the Scottish Rite but in England is known as Rose Croix - the name of the 18th degree which is the main degree worked in England. It is a masonic Side Order which Master Masons are eligible to join.

The "Star of David" image to the left is commonly associated with the Holy Royal Arch, the most popular Side Order in England. The Triple Tau within is another Royal Arch symbol, representing the Holy Trinity.

Here is a second picture I took.

The "keystone" image to the left of the picture is used by Mark Masons in England, probably the second most popular Side Order.

Here is a random one in there.

In the center, a typical Square and Compass, although the G in the center is quite unusual in England. To the left, a 5-pointed star, another symbol used in freemasonry. One of its uses is to depict a Provincial Grand Master, and if I were a guessing man I would think that might be the masonic rank of the Earl of Carnarvon. I admit I'm too lazy to go and look it up.

To the right the symbols are hard to decipher, but it looks like a Level, two crossed Plumb Lines and a heavy Maul set in the center. These are symbols representing the Senior and Junior Wardens of the Lodge, but again if I were to hazard a guess (and I am) I would say in this context they represent the Senior and Junior Grand Wardens (both of whom could well have been present on this particular occasion).

In short, a series of masonic images representing specific Grand Officers and certain Side Orders, all consistent with the time period (1884) and all quite possibly representing different benefactors to the cathedral (e.g. certain sums may have been raised specifically from the Mark Masons, Royal Arch Masons etc as part of the overall fundraising)

I hope this helps.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Trinityman

Thank you so much for the enlightening history of these symbols. I am planning on going back here in August and reading from the Cathedral Library. Apparantly they have some rare manuscripts there with the history, I am assuming since they are rare there is not alot of information available about them. I will update this as I get more information.

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by network dude
reply to post by kdial1

Sorry to inform you Brother, we use the G in our square and Compass i am in Scotland which is still part of the UK.

Not 100 percent but i dont think the G is used in England

www.mk0.com...

www.freewebs.com...

Hear are a couple of links to Scottish Lodges the second one is in my hometown and my grandfather was a member like his dad and his dad before him.

[edit on 19-6-2009 by orangeman dave]

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by orangeman dave
Not 100 percent but i dont think the G is used in England

This is correct. In the UK only England does not habitually have a G in the center of the Square and Compasses. Both Scotland and Ireland do use the G.

top topics

join