It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Imam at Tampa Mosque Charged With Sexual Battery of 13-Year-Old Boy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Imam at Tampa Mosque Charged With Sexual Battery of 13-Year-Old Boy

www.foxnews.com

Florida police have charged an Imam at a Tampa mosque with sexual battery after, they said, he molested a 13-year-old boy there over the weekend.

Police said the victim was spending the night at Masjid Omar Al Mukhtar mosque Sunday when he was attacked, MyFOXTampa.com reported.

After getting a phone call from the boy’s family, police interviewed him at Tampa General Hospital and arrested 35-year-old Yasser Mohamed Shahade hours later, the station reported.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.myfoxtampabay.com

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 04:58 PM
link   
As there is never any hesitancy to vilify Catholic Priests and their all to frequent appearances in the national headlines for their dalliances with young boys I thought it would be interesting to see the response to a Muslim Imam accused of the same practice.

I personally am of the mind that the religious affiliation (or any other affiliation that enables a predator to have trusted access to children) is irrelevant. Sexual predators will use the mantle of trust and responsibility to enable their close and unsupervised proximity to potential victims.

www.foxnews.com

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 06:01 PM
link   
As a frequently vocal critic of the atrocities perpetrated by the RCC, I'll bite.

But first, by way of disclosure and in the spirit of objectivity, would you be willing to go on record as having no affiliation to the RCC?

Just Kurious.

[edit on 19-5-2009 by kinda kurious]

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by kinda kurious

I would have thought the Square & Compasses in my avvy would have more than enough proof of that... I will go so far to say that I have no affiliation with any RCC Group including the Roman Catholic Church.

[edit on 19/5/2009 by Mirthful Me]

[edit on 19/5/2009 by Mirthful Me]

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 06:20 PM
link   
well I'm not surprised and I don't think this is an uncommon occurrence, however I do think that Muslim men and well lets just say men of "Eastern" cultures are more reluctant to admit or even discuss homosexuality, pedophilia and incest and they turn a blind eye to these sorts of acts on a whole which in turn is basically giving approval to such behaviour through the centuries.

That child is lucky he lives in Florida and probably attended a public school in addition to events at the Masjid. Fear for the ones who do not know life outside of these types of institutions.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Mirthful Me

I personally am of the mind that the religious affiliation (or any other affiliation that enables a predator to have trusted access to children) is irrelevant.

I would agree if there wasn't this creepy link between powerful organizations, including religions, and sexual abuse. I think it says more about the kind of people who are drawn to those positions more than it shows that those organizations are at fault for their members desires or actions.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Hmmm...

Why is it that my "PC sensitivity alarm" is blaring like a klaxon and yet I continue to write?? Sad, really.

Is it because there might be a generations old cultural proclivity towards such behavior?? I have read that there just might be. But, on the other hand one may find similar examples amongst adherents of many religions...

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Mirthful Me

Fair enough. I will begin by stating that abuse of children is reprehensible and exacerbated when perpetrated under the "guise" of religion. While I am not aware of any long standing organized cover up by the Muslim faith I am all too familiar with those by the Roman Catholic Church.

As a victim of child abuse (non-religious) I can say without reservation that the lifelong trauma, sense of shame, guilt and emotional implications are ravaging. It steals ones hopes, dreams, youth and innocence. It is the lowest form of the human species and any and all pedophiles should be sent to prison after their victims have enacted revenge.

A common defense of the RCC apologists is that it is "on par" with other forms of organized religion. As if ANY tolerance of abuse is acceptable.

Regarding the RCC, I present the following erudite sources:

www.totalcatholic.com...:dublin-archbishops-abuse-warning&catid=14:uk-and-ireland&Itemid=34

Pass around the plate for this one......Ouch.
www.americancatholic.org...

www.bishop-accountability.org...

Should be an interesting thread.

Regards...KK

[edit to fix links]

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Looks like some Catholic priests and some Muslim Imam's have something in common. Are Muslim Imam's allowed to have a wife? I understand that prisons that separate men from women can often have a high population of Gay and Bisexual males. The same thing with prisons that have exclusively female prisoners.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Trying to deflect this thread into one about the Catholic church - and I'm the last person that would be a fan of the "RCC" as you call it - is totally against the T&C.

Do you have anything to add about this poor child being molested by this sick (not all) muslim cleric?

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

As if your attack on me somehow adds to the discussion? Funny considering you told me you had me on Ignore. Do us all a favor and attack me via u2u. Where is your empathy? I was just like that boy.

My response was in direct reference to points made by OP. Read my post. Caution, requires reading AND comprehension skills.

I shared a personal experience I rarely (have never) admit to as to why I deplore such abuse. And stated reasons why this case is different than the on-going, rampant abuse
and cover up by RCC (with legit sources) that the OP referenced.

Do you have a bone to pick with me? Warning: you may get dirty.

Regards...KK

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 07:15 PM
link   
I would argue that "deflecting" it would be kind of a bad way to state it. I think if you look at all of the problems that Catholic Priests have had to deal with because of SOME of them abusing children has been so HUGE in the news and media it IS worth making a comparison and taking a look at the similarities.

Unless the OP wants this thread to ONLY discuss Muslim Imams? I am not sure. I would argue that a male religious figure not having a female mating partner COULD lead to possible acts of homosexuality MUCH like you would see in today's prison population.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 12:04 AM
link   

There was no attack on you personally. I took issue with what you posted. Your threats aside, show me where the original post and article say anything about the Catholic church and I'll let it go. Otherwise, my attempted deflection change stands. Your only possible point in posting what you did was to somehow try and make what the muslim cleric did appear to be less than what it was because some Catholic priests did it, too. News is news. I'm sure you can find more than one existing thread about the Catholic church and its problems if you really want to pursue that line. Should people now go on those threads and post that well, since muslim clerics do it, too ...

[edit on 5/20/2009 by centurion1211]

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 01:14 AM
link   
The whole `issue` regarding RCC in this thread comes from the comparison to the abuse by Catholic priests of children and how it occurs in all religions , and yet catholics are `the flavour of the months` in the MSM for poking with sharp sticks.

if you dig deep enough there are many many cases of christian, muslim, sihk, hindu and jewish spiritual leaders who are also dangerous paedofiles.

so , as the RCC- related angle has been established, and its simply that catholics are in teh media alot more with child abuse than muslims, lets discuss this muslim imam who has been arrested and not slam the RCC in this case.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 02:24 AM
link   
Wow, religions are still syncretic!

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 06:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211
Your threats aside, show me where the original post and article say anything about the Catholic church and I'll let it go.

All righty then...................

Originally posted by Mirthful Me

As there is never any hesitancy to vilify Catholic Priests and their all to frequent appearances in the national headlines for their dalliances with young boys I thought it would be interesting to see the response to a Muslim Imam accused of the same practice.

Somehow DUH just don't seem strong enough.

My point is perhaps we are comparing a first time or infrequent offending institution to known habitual ones.

Once again, I find child abuse by ANY adult (religious or otherwise) deplorable. And I can relate.

Ironically, I live in Tampa and will monitor this story to fruition.

Regards...KK

[edit on 20-5-2009 by kinda kurious]

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 06:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mirthful Me

Sexual predators will use the mantle of trust and responsibility to enable their close and unsupervised proximity to potential victims.

www.foxnews.com

Yes that's a shame. It's always the person you least expect too.

e.g someone in power, someone respectable etc

new topics

top topics

join