It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have you heard 'the Hum'?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 06:54 AM
link   
Have you heard 'the Hum'?
Go to this page for video and replicated hum noise.

news.bbc.co.uk...

For decades, hundreds of people worldwide have been plagued by an elusive buzzing noise known as "the Hum". Some have blamed gas pipes or power lines, others think their ears are faulty. A few even think sinister forces could be at work.

"It's a kind of torture, sometimes you just want to scream," exclaims retired head teacher Katie Jacques.

Sitting in the living room of her home in the suburbs of Leeds, the 69-year-old grandmother describes the dull drone she says is making her life a misery.

Most visitors hear nothing, but to Katie the noise is painful, vivid and constant.

"It has a rhythm to it - it goes up and down. It sounds almost like a diesel car idling in the distance and you want to go and ask somebody to switch the engine off - and you can't."

Katie says she no longer has any quiet moments and getting a good night's sleep has become impossible.

"It's worst at night. It's hard to get off to sleep because I hear this throbbing sound in the background and you know what it's like when you can't get to sleep and you're tossing and turning and you get more and more agitated about it."

Katie first became aware of the maddening rumble two years ago. She turned everything electrical off at the mains, but that made no difference. Neither did her efforts to block out the sound with ear plugs, or smother it with music.

Well this is in the news today and it caught my interest as I was hearing a hum a few months ago to the point where I was unable to sleep because of this low pitched hum.I searched the house and was able to pinpoint it to my new (very quiet) bosch fridge freezer. I wonder if other people reporting hearing this lower pitched hum are experiencing the same thing.

[edit on 19-5-2009 by tarifa37]

Just been discussed by Jeremy Vine on BBC Radio 2 www.bbc.co.uk... you can go to the site and listen to he show again soon(when it has finished at 2pm gmt)

[edit on 19-5-2009 by tarifa37]

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 07:06 AM
link   
Also is reported in the Telegraph online.www.telegraph.co.uk...

Some believe the noise comes from gas pipes, power lines, traffic, factories, pylons or mobile phone masts and the phenomenon has been reported from Vancouver in Canada to Auckland in New Zealand. Sufferers complain of sleep loss, headaches, sickness and nosebleeds.

In the 1970s it became known as the 'Bristol hum' after 800 people in the city claimed they could hear it.

But following years of research, scientists now say it is probably the result of over-sensitive hearing.

Dr David Baguley, head of audiology at Addenbrooke's Hospital in Cambridge, said a third of cases can be tracked down to an environmental source.

He told the BBC: "It may be a fridge or an industrial fan or a piece of heavy machinery at a nearby factory that is causing the disturbance and can be switched off."

Dr Baguley claims people have an internal volume control which helps us amplify quiet sounds in times of threat, danger or intense concentration.

"If you're sitting by a table waiting for exam results and the phone rings you jump out of your skin. Waiting for a teenager to come home from a party - the key in the door sounds really loud. Your internal gain is sensitised."

According to Dr Baguley, the problem comes when an individual fixes on a possibly innocuous background sound, and this act of concentration then triggers the body's "internal gain", boosting the volume.

"It becomes a vicious cycle," he explains. "The more people focus on the noise, the more anxious and fearful they get, the more the body responds by amplifying the sound, and that causes even more upset and distress."

Dr Baguley is now working with acoustic researchers from the University of Salford to try and find a solution to the problem.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 06:48 PM
link   
That would suck to hear a hum endlessly like that. It reminds me of a video on newgrounds called 'banana phone' about a killer song that comes from nowhere.
I think I may have had a similar event when I was younger. I remember hearing a noise that never seemed to go away.

Im surprised no one on here has blamed the government yet.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Lately when I go out at night for my cigarette, I have heard a pulsation added to the hum, at first I thought it to be my neighbors air conditioner, but as it kicked off and the pulsating hum continued, I have decided something has been taken to another level.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by interestedalways
Lately when I go out at night for my cigarette, I have heard a pulsation added to the hum, at first I thought it to be my neighbors air conditioner, but as it kicked off and the pulsating hum continued, I have decided something has been taken to another level.

That is interesting, are you still hearing it?Are you in a built up area or rural?

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by tarifa37

Originally posted by interestedalways

That is interesting, are you still hearing it?Are you in a built up area or rural?

I am in a suburb, plenty of people and houses around.

I go outside pretty much every night and am pretty tuned into my surroundings.

I will post again here if it becomes consistent.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 08:24 PM
link   
I hear a "hum" but not like the one in the link. I can't really describe it other than "grating on my nerves" type of sound. My hubby, who has A-1 hearing, hasn't a clue. I've learned to tune most of it out, but at times, it is annoying as all get out. Kinda sharp and pulsating at best.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by tarifa37

The "HUM" is commonly reported next to supposed DUMBs (Deep Underground Military Bunkers). Dulce, New Mexico residents are constantly plagued by it. The hum is postulated to come from the massive EM energy source being used to power the bases and the VHST(Very High Speed Transit system). The VHST would account for the "pulses" heard. Here are some helpful links to support that hypothesis.

www.reptoids.com...
www.hecklerspray.com...
www.thewatcherfiles.com...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Map showing location of underground tunnels and bases in the western US...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4937456b82d4.jpg[/atsimg]

[edit on 5/22/2009 by jkrog08]

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 03:28 AM
link   
reply to post by jkrog08

Nice piece of research.Although does not explain the phenomena here in the UK.
Surely they could not have built a system like that with no one knowing.It would have cost billions and used thousands of workers .Workers after a hard days work drinking in a bar would have talked and this would have slipped out and been major news IMHO.

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 03:56 AM
link   
reply to post by jkrog08

Damn, beat me to it. Reminds me of the hum that lasted a few weeks near my parents then slowly pased the Mohawk and went towards my home a few miles away within a time frame of a few weeks. Through various people I knew from around the area, we derermined the noise was going to and coming from Iron Mountain, like they were constructing tunnels (again). I had it crudely mapped at the time, and it seemed to go to and from DC to Hudson up here and from here to somewhere near Richmond Hill in Ontario. Another few people reported it to me actually directly under parts of Toronto, but they could not be sure.

I really honestly think it's those awesome nuclear tunneling machines.

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Well do you live next to any powerlines or stations?

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 10:37 AM
link   
I hear similar quite often, especially at night when i'm in bed, i've never really thought about it before actually, haha.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 10:57 AM
link   

I hear the humming but it has'nt been as bad for the past week.
I don't live near any power lines or phone masts or anything, but I do live close to Menwith Hill.
The hum drives me crazy somenights

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Southwest Wisconsin area here:

I hear it almost everynight. While I am lying in bed. I live in a VERY rural area. No power station or lines or anything else that should create this.

Sometimes I will not hear it for a couple of days then its on for a few weeks at a time - then off for a day then back on - no real pattern but it is present most times.

I have often wondered if this is great lakes region "ELF" related ( Extremely Low Frequency ) for long range Naval communications.

Dorian Soran

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by jkrog08

Well do you live next to any powerlines or stations?

Powerlines and stations don't make that same sound.

They are high frequencies. Hum-hearers are hearing low-frequencies.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 01:24 PM
link   
It's odd that the government would so quickly reveal the locations of their underground facilities.
My guess is that there are other larger facilities that are causing these sounds.

top topics

join