It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Engineered antibodies fight AIDS virus in monkeys

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Engineered antibodies fight AIDS virus in monkeys

Researchers may have discovered a technique that will eventually lead to a way to vaccinate against the AIDS virus, by creating an artificial antibody carried into the body by a virus.

This synthetic immune system molecule protected monkeys against an animal version of HIV called SIV, the researchers reported in the journal Nature Medicine.

While it will be years before the concept could be tested in humans, it opens up the possibility of protecting people against the fatal and incurable virus.

"Six of nine immunized monkeys were protected against infection by the SIV challenge, and all nine were protected from AIDS," Philip Johnson of Children's Hospital of Philadelphia and colleagues wrote.

www.reuters.com...

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Interesting news. Normally I don't trust vaccinations at all and I don't think I ever will but if they can develop a way to prevent people from getting the AIDS virus then this one could potentially save a lot of lives. Especially in 3rd world countries where the AIDS virus affects large percentages of the population.

The article mentions an "SIV challenge", what does that mean exactly?

I always feel bad for the poor monkeys in the labs that these kinds of tests are performed/experimented on.

new topics

join