It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

David Attenborough Documentary to Reveal "Missing Link" in Evolution

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 12:24 PM
link   

David Attenborough Documentary to Reveal "Missing Link" in Evolution

www.telegra ph.co.uk

Sir David Attenborough is to present a documentary claiming to have discovered a missing link in human evolution – a monkey-like creature called an adapid.The BBC programme, expected to be screened later this month, could help to resolve the debate about which kind of primates humans are descended from.

Sir David will reveal the well-preserved frame of the small monkey-like creature on the programme. The fossilised animal, thought to be at least 37 million years old, is a member of the extinct adapid family, and was discovered in a disused quarry in Germany.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 12:24 PM
link   
I need to watch the documentary before I can form an opinion about this but thought I'd put the article out here for those of you who haven't yet heard about this new theory and might like to watch the programme when it airs later this month. I don't watch much TV so wouldn't have known this would be on had I not come across the article...I suppose alot of ATSers are the same.

www.telegra ph.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 12:37 PM
link   
I never heard of an adapid so I did a guick Wiki search and got this:

Adapid

Hopefully I get this documentary when it comes on TV. I'd like to see what sort of evidance he has.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Probably, but not yet certain, also what the commercial debated in the following thread are about: www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 02:36 PM
link   
I can certainly see how this is big news to scientists and paleontologists... but... why make a documentary about it, or hype the discovery... especially if that's what the History Channel hype is about? I guess I don't see where Joe Six-Pack or Mr. Jones in the Fast Lane would really care too much about the subject. The only "missing link" the TV watching masses would really care about would be the link from Ape to Man, of which we've already found plenty of possible candidates. Once we've been linked to the animal kingdom through clear line of descent - then really, to them, it's kind of moot.

I haven't looked at any of the information yet, if it's out, but I will after posting here. My impression of a quick glance-over is that it's a basal form of either a monkey or primate. But the thing is... there's more missing links in direct human lineage than we can reasonably expect to ever find. It's about as relevant to the every-day viewer as finding a basal form of therapsida (mammal-like reptiles).

Tiktallik was a far more impressive find, simply because it was a clear transitional fossil from a highly contended (for some) time period - the transition from sea to land, from fish to amphibians. I don't think it even got this much press. Hell, the first I heard about it was during Kitzmiller vs. Dover.

Don't get me wrong, I'm definitely excited about the find. I'm just taken a bit aback by how much people outside of the Scientific community seem to be taking an interest in it, or thinking their viewing audience will take an interest in it.

If this is the revelation in that History Channel special, then I have to wonder how many people are going to get a few minuits into it and ask... "Hur der der... they bumped my Ice Road Truckers for this?!?" Or whatever, you know what I'm saying.

Anyhow, off to see if I can dig up any info.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 05:51 PM
link   
... Adapid?

Another missing link to be founded from down here? "Have I heard this before..." I think only missing links are flying above us every second in UFOs, and we should just ask from them what we are, and to what we should prepare and study our selfs.

Time to join the aliens, and forget what we think we were...

new topics

top topics

join