It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama to resurrect military commissions for terror suspects

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Obama to resurrect military commissions for terror suspects

www.cnn.com

President Obama is planning on Friday to resume the Bush administration's controversial military commission system for some Guantanamo detainees -- which he suspended in his first week in office -- according to three administration officials.

The move could increase tensions with liberal groups, led by the ACLU, which are already furious about Obama's shift this week to block the release of photos showing prisoners allegedly being abused by U.S. personnel in Iraq and Afghanistan.
(visit the link for the full news article)

EDIT: to fix my messed up title lol...

[edit on 5/15/2009 by Rockpuck]

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Personally, I think if they are charged with something it should be done in Military courts, no civil courts here in America. However, doesn't this go against the Democrat's stance on the topic? .. It seems like more and more Obama is going against what he campaigned for (still in Iraq, sending more troops to Afghanistan, etc)...

I'm interested in what Democrats think of the man after 100+ days, and seeing his decisions.

(after searching didn't find this article on ATS)

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

EDIT: Something happened with my copy paste from CNN, and I cannot fix it on this post.

[edit on 5/15/2009 by Rockpuck]

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

I voted democrat, my first presidential vote, and I regret it.

I am not pleased with the things he has done.

The first few weeks were great, but now that he is flip-flopping already on those policies and evoking the state secrets clause already, I'm regretting my decision!

I don't think we'd be any better off with McInsane either though.

[edit on 15-5-2009 by breakingdradles]

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 04:51 PM
link   
I voted for him, just because I thought he was a better choice than McCain. I regret voting for him. I wouldn't have voted for McCain either, but I should have pulled the lever for a 3rd party politician. That is what I'm doing in 2012. I have had enough of the two party system.

I want our damn troops out of Iraq, and that's what I thought I was getting when I voted for Obama. The spending, the lies, the flip-flops, same damn foreign policy. I have had enough to put it mildly.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 05:09 PM
link   
I voted for Obama and I still support his administration. He's moving in the right direction in a lot of areas in my mind (despite the OMG1!>!>!> EVIL!12 mentality on here) and although I'm annoyed about the block of the photos, it's going to get released one way or another sooner or later and we already know a lot of the extent of it already so I'm not worried about that. Also Obama said we'd be out of Iraq within 18 months, and the clock is ticking on that. In regards to this commission thing, I don't get what the beef is in between the Obama attacks here. He's taking Bush's system and revising it so it's not a show trial anymore... so what's the problem? Why would a civil court try non-Americans who engaged in acts of war?

[edit on 15-5-2009 by CuriousSkeptic]

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Do you think this is Obama's surrender flag that the Democratic plans to provide full Constitutional powers to all the Gitmo detainees on American soil is not so good a plan?

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 07:07 PM
link   
I love how they try to put a positive spin on it - "ressurect", or "revive" as I've seen a lot of in the British media. Whereas in reality this is a complete reversal of his past claimed polcies.

More like "Obama reverses stance" would be more accurate.

One word in the MSM can make a massive difference to what people think...

[edit on 15-5-2009 by AR154]

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 07:21 PM
link   
This is just another proof of what many of us knew all along. Regardless of who is in power, the real power behind the US government is the Military-Industrial Complex. Anyone who tries to buck that force, ends up as JFK did.
Does anyone on ATS still deny that?

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProfEmeritus
This is just another proof of what many of us knew all along. Regardless of who is in power, the real power behind the US government is the Military-Industrial Complex. Anyone who tries to buck that force, ends up as JFK did.
Does anyone on ATS still deny that?

Bingo.

A few weeks ago, Obama was talking about transparency, and a new start for America.

Now, he's taking back everything he said, refusing to release information, and basically becoming Bush's third term.

Somebody got to him.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by drwizardphd

Now, he's taking back everything he said, refusing to release information, and basically becoming Bush's third term.

Yes Obama the great grandstander.

The thing is most people wont notice.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Guess when i searched i used the wrong words.
Any way heres a link which i saw on the news tonight

www.3news.co.nz... px

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 07:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

This is sad.

All that promise and hope, destroyed.

Change, indeed.

You have a president that makes bad decisions. He allows people to get away with torture while admitting that it was illegal. So, it's ok to take illegal actions and not be punished if you were once in power?
He flies planes over NYC and scares the crap out of millions of people and doesn't give a fair explanation.
He allows the old stupidity to continue, destroying more credibility in him and his administration.

I'll admit that I was bitten by the Obama-mania when he was elected. I guess it was his personality and seemingly honest persona.
Unfortunately, he has repeatedly proven that he is not much better than the nasty specimens you had in office last time.

I fully expect another false-flag attack and a resulting war/invasion any day now.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by detachedindividual

I fully expect another false-flag attack and a resulting war/invasion any day now.

Keep you eyes on the Pakistan-Afghan border area. Also be prepared for a new push by house Dems for a universal military draft, especially with unemployment at high levels. Nothing cuts the unemployment rate down like taking several million young people off the unemployment lines, and putting them in uniforms.
Here is the post I put up in the Fall, but it was taken down because of the temporary rules regarding the election. This is what I tried to warn people about, regarding Obama, as outlined in the book Audacity of Deceit:

The Audacity of Deceit: Barack Obama's War on American Values In "The Audacity of Deceit", readers will learn:

* How Barack Obama's "health care reform" plans will let government determine what types of medical procedures and operations senior citizens are permitted to have; * How Obama's position on abortion is opposed by the vast majority of Christians and Catholics, by way of exclusive polling data; * Obama's goal to implement his "zero to five" program, designed to transfer infant and child-raising responsibilities from parents to the federal government; * His plan to raise taxes to the economy-destroying 60 percent rate last seen under President Herbert Hoover during the Great Depression; * How Obama will spark a trade war that would eliminate millions of jobs; * Obama's plan to choke-off America's domestic energy resources and send gas and electricity prices through the roof; * How Obama will raise the cost of food by underwriting the ethanol energy speculators who are playing critical roles in his campaign.

In one explosive chapter, O'Leary exposes the entire family tree of friends and close Obama associates who are working on his campaign or as bundlers, including Thomas Ayers. Father to acknowledged domestic terrorist Bill Ayers, Thomas Ayres through his corporation funded or supported the foundations and law firms that employed Obama. O'Leary also shows how Ayers was associated with the bank that gave Obama his controversial, low-interest home loan.

Another chapter called "The Barack Obama Test" gathers polling results from America's most reputable pollsters, including Zogby International, Rasmussen, Gallup Organization, and CNN/Opinion Research. Through these polls, readers learn how Obama's positions on a broad array of issues are completely at odds with those of the vast majority of Americans.

This chapter also includes Zogby polls- never seen before and available nowhere else - that show in stark detail the differing political views of the 70 percent of American voters who pay federal income taxes and the 30 percent who do not. This is the first time such exclusive polling information has been available to the general public.

Through these results, O'Leary reveals for the first time exactly who the non-taxpaying Americans are - right down to their voting preference, party affiliation, income levels, education, marital status, and even religious practices.

Here is the clincher. Notice how many of these things have already been started under his administration. There should be no doubt now about where America is headed.

new topics

top topics

join