It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Beam Me Up, Scotty.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2003 @ 03:33 PM
link   
CANBERRA, Australia, June 17, 2002

(REUTERS) In a world breakthrough out of the realms of Star Trek, scientists in Australia have successfully teleported a laser beam of light from one spot to another in a split second but warn: don't sell the car yet.

A team of physicists at the Australian National University (ANU) announced on Monday they had successfully disembodied a laser beam in one location and rebuilt it in a different spot about one meter away in the blink of an eye.

Project leader Dr Ping Koy Lam said there was a close resemblance between what his team had achieved and the movement of people in the science fiction series Star Trek but reality was still light years off beaming human beings between

www.cbsnews.com...

posted on Feb, 6 2003 @ 04:28 PM
link   
never thought they'd achieve this. *claps* Nice goin', Aussies!

posted on Feb, 6 2003 @ 05:15 PM
link   
The next step is the Phaser and the warp engine.

Oups, for the warp engine, a Belgian scientist has already did it.
But only in theory. They are now looking on how to build one warp-engine.Now that they have the plans and are knowing the theory, it should be easy.

posted on Feb, 6 2003 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Mr. President, you never cease to amaze me......

Truly astounded again.

Your Faithful Supporter,
Deep

posted on Feb, 6 2003 @ 08:29 PM
link   
I think the problem with a warp drive is not the plans or the theory, but the fact that it would take an energy greater than the sun. Notice on Star Strek they use a GIANT WARP CORE ANTI-MATTER DI/TRILITIUM ENGINE. We don't have those in stock. Please check back next week. We do have trilithium batteries, but they surely aren't enough for an engine of that magnitude. Antimatter is starting to become a reality, as a recent science experience created like 100,000 particles, which is enough to test for a large amount of effects. Who knows... maybe we'll have an anti-matter engine by the time I'm 50. I'm still looking forward to Zeropoint energy (black hole energy). I've also been contemplating what would be stronger than the energy in the gravity well of a black hole. I think I might have the answer
. Of course, it is all hypothesis :p. Now I have to come up with something better than my better idea... evil laugh!!!

One more thing... we need someone to make those freaking inertial dampeners. I'm not sure what those would take, but somebody needs to hop on them while I do this engine stuff
. You can also take the tractor beam, photon torpedos, and holodeck. I'll work on the AI computer and maybe some Borg tech later this week.

Ok, I haven't seen Star Trek in a long time, so I'm getting flashbacks. I appologize.

posted on Feb, 7 2003 @ 08:41 AM
link   
This was done about a year and a half ago by American scientists.....

posted on Feb, 7 2003 @ 08:49 AM
link   
I think your getting confused.
It was an australian team, but it happened about half a year ago.
theres a thread in the archive concerning it.

Its not ~quite~ as impressive as it sounds however, Ithink Q.O. had some interesting things to say about it back then.

posted on Feb, 7 2003 @ 09:13 AM
link   
maybe, but if I remember right it was performed at an American University; it might have done by australian students but I do remember it was in the states and it was definately over a year ago....i'm not trying to start a fight I could be wrong,wouldn't be the first time either...

posted on Feb, 7 2003 @ 09:26 AM
link   
no fight to start.
If you check the date on the article its June 17th 2002.
As far as 'm aware this was the first time it has ever been achieved.
as for the nationality of the scientists I believe it was a pretty international team.
If you have evidence that it happened earlier it would be great to see.

[Edited on 7-2-2003 by Lupe_101]

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 12:44 AM
link   
You realize the kind of teleportation kills you and rebuilds an exact replica on the place your going.
As for warp engines, try this site.

www.nasa.gov...

top topics

join