It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Severe Sleep Paralysis

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 03:35 AM
link   
Nearly three weeks ago I had a very wierd and scary experience.

I fell asleep like I do every night and was having a very comfortable rest. It was about 2:45a when my experince occured. While sleeping I began to have a dream. It was a very wierd dream because it felt so real, but it wasn't obe or Lucid Dreaming - I know because I have Lucid Dreams on a regular basis (every 2-3 weeks) and it wasn't that real, so I knew I was dreaming.

I started to have a wierd feeling like their was someone in my room. You know how, when your sitting down somewhere - like a restaurant, you can feel someone staring at you, or talking about you. Or when your walking down the street and you can sense some one watching you or following you. This is how I felt in my dream. I said to myself "If your a demon be gone." When you are in a dark room, even if it's your own, and you get a feeling that some one is there, it can be very scary... and it was.

I was horrified when I opened my eyes to discover I was having a severe bout with sleep paralysis. This, as well as the Lucid Dreams, happens to me periodically ( the former happens about 1once a month).

This was one of the more severe cases I have ever had of sleep paralysis. I can say this because it took so long, to move my fingers and left hand at the wrist. It usually only takes a few seconds to overcome the episode and get back to sleep. However, this is not the incredible part of my experience.

When I woke up I couldn't move anything from right below my nose all the way to the end of my feet. Being that I was paralyzed like this I could still move my eyes.

Also, when I awoke, I heard an extremely wierd sound. It sounded like one of those sticks that has been hollowed out and filled with b-bs, when you flip it upside down it makes that crazy bouncing, rain-drop sound. The sound lasted for about 5-6 secs. It wasn't just a quick sound and then nothing. It stayed around for a bit, and then it went silent.

I looked up toward the ceiling when I first awoke, because I was laying on my back. As soon as I woke up I saw a man standing right next to me, at my shoulder position and only a few inches away. This scared the crap out of me.

He was just standing there with his hands clasped in front of his waist. He was tall, the ceiling in my room is 8ft tall, only several inches from brushing his head on the ceiling. He had a robe type garment wrapped around his body. He had what appeared to be light brown to brown hair. He had the appearance of a white man, with a big forehead, and crazy looking eyes. It seemed like they were almost glowing a white/blue color and slightly slanted at the outside corners.

At this point I was freaking out big time. I could only move my eyes and I had this enormous man standing over me and watching. I was afraid that he was a psycho burglar and he was going to hurt me or kill me.

I was paralyzed during this whole experience, close to 45 secs. He was there, staring at me, the entire time. I kept concentrating on moving my hands and arms.

Finally, while still freaking out on the inside, I was finally able to make my left fingers and hand move. As soon as I gained control of the motor skills in my hand I looked to the left at my hand and arm and knocked on the wall to try and get someone's attention so they could come help me (I don't know why I did this because I live alone).

After knocking on the sheet-rock wall I looked back to my right and the man was gone, like he vanished into thin air. Just a few moments after knocking on the wall, and the man's disappearance, I regained motor skills in the rest of my body.

It freaked me out so bad that I went to my living room, turned on the light, and watched T.V. for an hour until I felt like I could go back to my room and sleep.

I was scared when this happened. I wonder if, I kept control of my emotions and remained calm, he would've stayed there longer untill my body woke up. Maybe if I wasn't frightened I could ask him some questions and see what he was doing or try and touch him to see if he was real.

He looked so real, just like I was looking at someone in three-d .

Do you guys have any ideas about this experience. Why would he be in my room? How did he get there? Am I going crazy?

I don't know what to think at this point. My Lucid Dreams are increasing and becoming more vivid too. I wonder what all this could mean?

edit for grammar - again

[edit on 8-5-2009 by esteay812]

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 04:14 AM
link   
Easy...

You were in a pre-OOBE state called "mind awake, body asleep". The man was MOST likely a mental construct, and not a being. In the state of consciousness, you are kinda stripped of your intellect. Intellect is usually used to suppress your fears. So when it is gone, you sometimes face your fears as the really are.

It may also be a test to move on into full blown OOBE's. I have gone through this a few times. It's scary, I know. But get past the fear, engage what you see and ask fearless questions. I'm sure soon your lucid dreams will meet with your OOBE, and you will have some intense growing experiences.

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 04:22 AM
link   
I find it strange that you know what time you started dreaming.

But, anyways, last night I had a weird episode myself. Like you I fell into a deep, restful sleep. And, like you, I remember having a vivid dream. But I didn't wake up till morning and I had feelings of well-being when I did.

Also, there was a green residue in my house that I can't explain yet. I don't suppose you found anything yourself?

Here is the thread about my experience, in case you want to compare:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 04:51 AM
link   
I had a strange expierience last night as well, I'd start a new thread about it but for some reason it says I can't(even though I've made 2 new threads previously..weird!).

I think I've experienced some sort of sleep paralysis and like you I saw something, different to what you describe but a similar situation, here's the thread about it if you want to read

glowing green eyes

I think it was a form of sleep paralysis, although I could move up until I saw this thing and then I couldn't. I don't really know much about sleep paralysis or lucid dreams or OOBE's so can't really shed any light on what's happened to you other then what I've experienced and the conclusion, other people's suggestions helped me come to about it.

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 08:24 AM
link   
My rules for avoiding "sleep paralysis."

1) Never keep the long side of your bed against a wall.
2) Keep any areas on light coloured or flat coloured walls limited to a maximum of one metre square by applying posters etc. to the wall. The key point being to mix up any constant absorption of light.
3) Try not to sleep in a room next to a large cupboard, store room or other volume that is not disturbed regularly.

In a nutshell....if you have the long side of your bed against a white wall and the room behind the wall is a storeroom, expect "sleep paralysis."

Even if the results of these actions are psychological and help you gain a feeling of control that stops the paralysis; it will benefit you.

My take on what is happening is in the "weird" zone, however I don't get "weird" hunting me anymore.

HTH

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 08:45 AM
link   
I've had a similar experience before, though it wasn't sleep paralysis.

I suffer from hypnopompic hallucinations, or hallucinations that occur upon waking up. I guess they only happen in about 10-12% of people, so whenever I try to explain these things everyone just looks at me like I'm crazy. I promise I'm not!

The one episode I remember similar to yours...I was sleeping with my then-boyfriend. Woke up suddenly to see what looked like someone in a bear costume staring down at me, sort of next to my hip on the side of my bed. Not just any bear costume though, that wouldn't be creepy enough...no, no, this bear costume looked like the cousin of Donnie Darko's rabbit friend. Creepy as hell! I nearly had a heart attack and turned the lights on quickly, and opened my bedroom door a bit. My guy woke up from the commotion and asked what was going on, but it wasn't exactly something I could explain properly at that time.

My heart continued to nearly beat out of my chest for quite a while, but I eventually fell back asleep. Had he not been there, I probably would have gotten up to just watch tv like you did.

But, I've been having these hallucinations since elementary school. Most recently I've been waking up seeing bugs everywhere, which is a bit unsettling. I blame it to my house being invaded with carpenter ants right now...I'm always paranoid that there's going to be bugs in any room I go into! I feel like Ashley Judd in Bug! It's ridiculous. Then of course, the paranoid feelings of finding bugs end up being carried over into sleep...ugh.

Aside from the "bugs," though, most recent weirdness was waking up to a hand coming through the mirror on the back of my bedroom door, waving a note around. I stared at it for a minute, in confusion, til it finally dropped the note and disappeared back through the mirror again.
There was no note, but it was definitely a weird moment.

Sleeping is an odd experience for a lot of people. So many sleeping disorders! I'm sure the dude standing over your bed was just a hallucination. You'll be fine.

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 12:53 PM
link   
When I get paralized during that stuff I am able to move my body using my energy while paralized I can levitate to a certain extent. I get paralized a lot and so I decided to experiment around with my energy since I do a lot of energy works. It worked like a charm didnt even not move one muscle, just use my energy to lift my back up from the bed and same thing with my arm.

And also when I was in that state I looked at my door and it was glowing with oozing Glowing red energy and in the middle was a black energy figure face. It didnt really bother me since I see that stuff all the time so I closed my eyes like nothing happened (Even though I should have examined it.)

[edit on 8-5-2009 by KennyRJR]

[edit on 8-5-2009 by KennyRJR]

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by TheComte

I knew what time my experience happened because I was awake when it happened. It lasted 30-45 secs. When I was no longer paralyzed I went to my living room and saw the clock, it was 2:50a I figured about 5 min. before is when my experience happened.

I saw your thread last night and the people calling it dishwashing liquid. I didn't have anything like that. For the record I believe your thread and it isn't dishwashing liquid.

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by nomadros

Your suggestions are definitely different.

The crazy thing is that my bed is on a long white wall with a room on the other side, but the room on the other side is a living room. I don't use the living room though.

Ever since I arranged my room this way my Lucid dreams and sleep paralysis has increased. That's wierd, why do you believe this?

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Yep sounds like normal sleep parylysis to me, it can be VERY scary if you let it be. It's basically a waking dream, dreaming while awake, and your thoughts can affect your surroundings, if you have fear, you will start to see scary things!

Anyway this is how you can have an OBE, by having sleep parylysis then exiting the body, once you overcome the fear, it can be amazing.

[edit on 8-5-2009 by _Phoenix_]

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by WhimsicalGypsy

That is awesome, that would make a great movie scene. Someone waking up and looking at the mirror and seeing a hand sticking out of it with a note.

I have had an episode like this before, but that time was a bit different.

I saw a short little guy probably 3.5ft tall. He looked like a bald E-wok. Little beady eyes, a nose like a gorilla, and a horrible set of teeth that looked like tusks from an elephant, with an inner set of teeth just like the first set.

When I gained movement again, he was gone.

I am kinda curious about this as a previous poster stated, two set of dream occurences may be about to merge together. I am not going to take steps to eliminate these occurances, because I want to see where they lead to.

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by KennyRJR

That's awesome, the next time this happens I will try to remember to experiment and have fun, since it seems like I am not in any real danger of being harmed.

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by _Phoenix_

I have heard this twice now. I have had astral proection before, here is the thread I started with that episode...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

When you have an obe are you awake in reality? I guess I am a bit confused as to how they happen. I thought they occured while sleeping.

Someone said that what I experienced - in the thread I posted above - was an obe. I assumed it was a Lucid Dream, since I was in full control of my body and completely aware, just like I am now.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 01:20 PM
link   
This has happened several times to me, and I always wonder -- what if i kept control of my emotions? What if I somehow trained myself not to panic, since the panic itself is what wakes me up? I wonder what that would result in.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by cmazzagatti

You would find yourself on the cusp of an incredible experience. When I first started having Lucid Dreams or sleep paralysis I would panic. Eventually I was able to maintain a bit of composure. Most of the Lucid Dreams I find myself in allow me to do whatever I want to.

When you find yourself in a Lucid Dream it is nearly the exact same as being awake in real life. The things in your dream match up to reality. Like if you are in a dream and you are in your living room. Your living room will be nearly identical to real life.

You are in 100% control of what happens in you Lucid Dream, including what you want to do physically and mentally. You can fly, think telepathically with other people or beings, and have super powers ingeneral.

Another incredible thing about Lucid Dreaming is the ability to have physical and emotional feelings.

If you can control your fear and continue on to a Lucid Dream, you will be delighted to say the least!

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 05:35 PM
link   
like many i too have had a similar experience, but i was fortunate that at that time i was paranoid about burglars, so i had a nanny cam that recorded my room.

Roughly by the light out side i figure it between 12 and 4am. I awoke staring into the face of what i can only described as an unsettling version of gandalf ( i know i laughed in hindsight). no words just staring. A cars lights passed through a window and i had a kinda short flash wall (like from camera) and he was gone. I did the Tv thing too and the next day i reviewed the tapes. nope just me, so in less it was a high tech tinker job by some one/thing, it was all just me.

But never just pass something off as in your head, ya never know.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by swolleneyeball

I'd love to see the video to see how you look when having an episode of sleep paralysis.

I bet I look crazy trying to move, but being paralyzed

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 01:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by esteay812
reply to post by swolleneyeball

I'd love to see the video to see how you look when having an episode of sleep paralysis.

I bet I look crazy trying to move, but being paralyzed

Alas i would wish you could too. But the harddrive crashed long ago. I now keap one(a camera) on should i have another episode. but no luck, believe me if i do expect to see it here first.

[edit on 11-5-2009 by swolleneyeball]

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by esteay812

Your suggestions are definitely different.

The crazy thing is that my bed is on a long white wall with a room on the other side, but the room on the other side is a living room. I don't use the living room though.

Ever since I arranged my room this way my Lucid dreams and sleep paralysis has increased. That's wierd, why do you believe this?

Somewhat complicated, but basically an undisturbed volume and a flat plane with fairly constant absorption allows "them" to "see" your silhouette in probability form as you lie close to the wall. Then, again with the probabilities quite static, "they" can enter our dimensions and do their thing.

A bit like fish leaping for flies coming close to the water (you being the fly).

Completely mad idea really and I've always wanted to do an experiment to find out if I can catch one "on the rise."

Any movement or disruption will stop them dead as it'll appear to them like choppy water rather than a clear surface. Mad I know, but I can sleep sound.

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 12:40 AM
link   

Maybe, if they are real, there is a way to catch one... or at least an image. This may be what happens when we wake up during sleep paralysis.

When a fish approaches the surface of the water while hunting it will eventually come to the surface, grasping the prey in it's mouth.

When it is in the water it is in complete control and can get away from nearly any attempt to catch it.

When it leaps out and above the surface of the water it has absolutely no control for that short period of time. If you can time it just right, you can grab the fish in the air. Even if it sees you coming it can't get away.

When you wake up, experience sleep paralysis, and see someone or something there with you, it could be the moment that they are out of the water, with no control.

You wake up unexpectedly and don't give them enough time to react. They are forced to let you see them and disappear when they realize this.

It could all just be a hallucination, though.

This doesn't make sense in this most recent experience I had either. If they are real, and they must be in some fashion. I would never have seen anything if it didn't exist in some form. He seemed to just hang out and stare at me for a long time, and 30-45 secs. is a long time when there is a strange looking person staring at you while you're paralyzed.

Why didn't he just disappear as soon as I saw him, assuming he is real? Probably a hallucination, but I have to entertain all aspects and possibilities to come to a satisfying conclusion.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join