It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FLU.. Seeking Advice..

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 08:43 AM
link   
good people of ATS.. I seek your help and friendship..

I don't trust the main stream media or big pharma, so I turn to you for advice..

I am getting sick -- sore throat, cough; no fever yet, but I am worried; I have health insurance, and of course I can go see my doctor, but I'm concerned that I'll be forced into receiving some sort of vaccine or other harmful 'treatment'..

I'm seeking out all ideas for any potential alternative treatments/remedies, other than sheer will power and lots of rest..

many thanks, VA

Mod Edit: All Caps – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 2-5-2009 by GAOTU789]

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Where are you? Most likely the worst that will happen is you will be told to stay in your house until a Dr says youre over your flu. But you will recieve a prescription of an anti viral and a state trooper will be put out infront of your house. Atleast thats worse case. My friend is going thru the same thing right now out in western NY. Until they say we need to goto the camps I wouldnt worry to much.

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 08:49 AM
link   
EmergenC Immune Defense with Zinc and Elderberry extract.

Lots and lots of water or Gatorade.

Tylenol for fever.

Most important thing is hydration, drink early drink often.

Also Vitamin D or D3 to boost immune system.

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by emsed1
EmergenC Immune Defense with Zinc and Elderberry extract.

Lots and lots of water or Gatorade.

Tylenol for fever.

Most important thing is hydration, drink early drink often.

Also Vitamin D or D3 to boost immune system.

PS the antivirals generally only reduce the 'duration' of the flu by one day. If you can stick it out and boost your immune system with zinc and elderberry extract and lots of water it will be much better than going to a clinic or ER and catching something really nasty.

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 08:59 AM
link   
in addition to those already mentioned, raw garlic and apple cider vinegar are going to be my two mainstays if I become ill.

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 09:10 AM
link   
reply to post by volitionawareness

Your best bet is the elderberry extract, for now. If you get really sick you should go to the doctor.

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Memysabu
Where are you? Most likely the worst that will happen is you will be told to stay in your house until a Dr says youre over your flu. But you will recieve a prescription of an anti viral and a state trooper will be put out infront of your house. Atleast thats worse case. My friend is going thru the same thing right now out in western NY. Until they say we need to goto the camps I wouldnt worry to much.

Your friend was told to stay home and got an antiviral and a state trooper in from of his/her house? I'm confused.

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 09:16 AM
link   
IF you have Swine Flu, and it's a big IF at the moment, DO NOT take anything to "boost your immune system". This flu is not killing people, their immune system is killing them by over reacting. The less effective your immune system is, the less violent the reaction to the flu will be. There's other bad advice in this thread, like the anti-virals only shortening the flu. That's the over the counter, stick a Qtip up your nose stuff.

If you think you have Swine Flu, call your doctor and follow their advice. Step away from the computer.

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Steep a large handful of rosehips, 2-3 cut up lemons, and a handful of garlic cloves in hot water for about an hour or so...strain, add a couple of spoonfuls of good honey...
Drink..drink...drink..
You'll smell like a pizza joint also.....

Point is......flush this baby out with whatever you like to drink !!!
Keep the good liquids going..

Peace...

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by mythatsabigprobe
The less effective your immune system is, the less violent the reaction to the flu will be.

Wow... that's brilliant. We should tell everybody with AIDS to stop boosting their immune systems too. Theirs are "really" less effective so they should do great!

I am only speaking from personal experience here as a person with Leukopenia/Neutropenia (oh, an 18 years in the Emergency Medical field) but in my humble opinion it's always better to have a healthy immune system when you are sick.

And I wasn't talking about sticking zinc up your nose. I was specifically referring to clinical studies that suggest antivirals such as Tamiflu and the amantidine-class of medications are only marginally effective and at best only reduce duration of symptoms by an average of one day.

One day more of symptoms, in my opinion, is worth not risking a trip to the ER where you can either expose or be exposed to something nastier.

Here is a link to the Tamiflu page itself showing only a 1.3 day reduction in symptoms:

Tamiflu

[edit on 5/2/09 by emsed1]

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Emsed you might want to look up Cytokine storm. What the prior said is correct, you do not want to boost your immune system response. And increasing fluid intake would be as bad as aiding your immune system. Dont dehydrate yourself but dont over do it.

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 10:17 AM
link   
So far, this has acted like a very mild flu. So I'd treat this just like any other sickness you get. It really shouldn't be a big deal, even if it's THIS flu. Just don't go to a movie or anything..

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Well considering that it is gonna take six months to develope a vaccine you have nothign to worry about.

Secondly, take some benedryl for your allergy symptoms.

If you have to flu, you wouldn't feel well enough to sit on the computer to type us questions.

There are a lot of nasty cold and viruses out there. While the flu is common, it is not that common. Much like the chicken pox was.

People think they have the flu when they don't. The flu makes you feel like your on deaths door. The flu will make you beg for any injection to make you feel better. You won't feel well enough to text, talk on the phone.
It hurts just to walk to the bathroom. Much less go to work.

So when you feel like that, let us know.

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Memysabu
Emsed you might want to look up Cytokine storm. What the prior said is correct, you do not want to boost your immune system response. And increasing fluid intake would be as bad as aiding your immune system. Dont dehydrate yourself but dont over do it.

You might want to read the scientific research about "cytokine storm".

Research studies at the National Academy of Sciences in mammals have revealed that suppressing cytokines does NOTHING to decrease mortality.

www.pnas.org...

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Just bc there is a "new" flu out there, doesn't mean all the older run of the mill ones do not exist. I just got over a regular old flu, although now the swine flu is pretty much the same thing. Take your vitamin C, if you have a fever take tylanol or asprin, put a cold cloth on your head, drink fluids, have some chicken noodle soup, and sleep. Same remedy for the same illness we've had forever.

God Bless

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by volitionawareness

In my thread, www.abovetopsecret.com...

I offer this one, which I abide by because I have seen it work:

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 01:03 PM
link   
I've had the "regular flu" a couple of times soooooo badly I sort of wished I was dead,LOL!

Best things I've found to ease symptoms:

Warm baths with Epsom salts and some hydrogen peroxide to help pull toxins from the body

Hot ginger tea with agave nectar (or honey if you prefer) is very soothing

Popsickles really help with a high fever and sore throat,get sugarless if you are concerned and just keep sucking on them.

Vicks Vapor Rub...old school,it works! Rub on chest and back,be sure to put some on soles of feet...put on socks and a flannel shirt or T...you will rest!

I try to keep the "meds" to a minimum and if I really need to sleep soundly,I make this:

Couple of shots Irish whiskey
Hot water
LOTS of lemon juice
Good shake of cayenne pepper
Honey to taste...mix in a big glass or mug get it down and then be prepared to sweat and sleep...I always wake up feeling much better than before!

Best and feel better soon!!!

[edit on 2-5-2009 by irishchic]

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Memysabu

Colostrum can be found at most health food stores it will regulate the immune system if to high it will bring it down if to low it will raise it and it is one hell of a germ fighter its the substance found in breast milk at birth.With a flue like this it is ok in large dosage.

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 03:21 PM
link   
As you can see, its not good for you to come to a message board filled with anonymous people to seek medical advice and treatment. On this thread alone, there are opposing advice given to you. And a plethora of 'advice' given. Nobody here knows you or your body or how your body will react to certain things. But your regular doctor will.

Get off the computer. Call your doctor. You do not have to take any medicine they give you. But do not sit around taken medical advice from strangers online. You can not be treated this way.

Best of luck and I hope you get better soon

[edit on 3-5-2009 by inked up]

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 01:12 PM
link   
agreed.. no one knows my body or how I respond to different things ingested; at the same time, it's not necessarily bad to share ideas..

.. of course I've already been to the doctor, and of course they've given me some things to take..

..I'm skeptical of corporate pharma, which is what initially prompted my inquiry -- nonetheless, I take it all with a grain of salt, and yet still appreciate the ideas, especially those who have been kind and sympathetic about it..

..for the record: I'm feeling worse now than I did when I started the thread

top topics

<<   2 >>

join