It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Star Trek - Dave Rabbit At The Movies - NO SPOILERS

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 10:58 AM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5c37a8db82ae.jpg[/atsimg]

In this inaugural show, AboveTopSecret.Com’s Movie Critic, Dave Rabbit, introduces a new show concept that is based upon “Entertainment Value” at the movies. With insightful Commentary, Trailers, Photos and Movie Clips, get a whole new perspective on upcoming selected movies and know if it’s worth it to plunk down your hard earned money.

(click to open player in new window)

[edit on 5/22/2009 by Dave Rabbit]

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Hi Everyone....

This is definitely a work in progress, but after two solid days with about 3 hours of sleep, this is my inaugural conceptual show. I made about three different versions of the show in post production and, of course, this is the wrong one. The INTRO and OUTRO of the intended show is much shorter and gets right to the important stuff. This intro lasts 90 seconds.

My plans in the future are to get interviews with Directors and Stars of movies that I am reviewing and blend them in with the review themselves. But right now, I am taking baby steps as I get use to the software and all the things I learned by trial and error to get this one completed.

I wore my 2 X 4 out I was so frustrated at some of the difficulties I had along the way in order to get things working the way I had envisioned them.

Your comments, suggestions, stars and flags will be greatly appreciated in helping me make this something that is fun and informative for all.

Dave

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 11:11 AM
link   
A bit of criticism if I may.... You almost lost me on the intro. It was too long, painfully so. But worth while.

I have often been disappointed by the remaking of old classics, though I am looking forward to seeing this movie.

Thanks for the review.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Awesum

Nicely done and something I will be looking foreward too as the summer movie season gets underway

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 01:26 PM
link   
I saw this movie on the 15th of April at a special screening, It was so much better than i ever thought it would be, ill be clear and say im not a huge Trekkie (more of a starwars fan myself) however i found this movie really great. I thought it was a good idea to start the whole story off from before the first original movie, and the inclusion of Captain Pike im sure would bring a smile to some fans faces. It did seem to be shot in a different style to past efforts which may upset some fans at first, but i think they can get over it quick enough. The special effects were stunning too i definately have my favourite part, if only all sci-fi movies looked as convincing. So in short id love to see what sort of response this movie gets with the older fans, but i have no doubt it will convert some newer ones. Id give it a clear 10/10 and will probably go see it again when its officially released.

Dave, nice job
But i agree the intro was a little stretched but i understand its easy to get a rambling over something this good.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by pazcat

Yeah... and without either of us spoiling it for others.... I loved the Pike inclusion which harkens back to the original Pilot. As I told one of my fellow Mod Squadders in a U2U, I'm not a huge fan of prequels as Hollywood has done so much recycling lately.... The Day The Earth Stood Still, as the most recent example.... and there is so much comparison to the original too.

Regarding the filming technique..... it kind of caught me off guard a bit, but once I got into what they were trying to achieve I was most comfortable with it. You have to give J. J. credit on this with his vision.

I haven't been this excited about the re-tooling and a group of young actors carrying on a franchise since the Batman Series.

I do plan on going in to see it when it hits theaters. My 60" LCD is great for my apartment, but to me, 90% of the fun is the experience and reactions of those around you.

As always, thanks for your comments.

Dave

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 07:12 PM
link   
I agree a bit long in the tooth.
But it is a work in progress.

Anyhoo I'll have to admit I'm a Trekker. Anything to do with Star Trek I'm there good bad or indifferent. I'm seeing this with a buddy on the Morrow.

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 01:53 AM
link   
Even though I had seen it on my 60" LCD with the Critic DVD, I definitely wanted to see it again and experience it on the "Big Screen". I went to the 4 p.m. showing..... watched it in one of the two larger screen theaters of my local multi-theater cinema. The place was packed. Except for the basketball player type with the 1 year old toddler who aggravated the crap out of everyone talking to her dad..... it did not disappoint. It was so much fun watching the reactions of everyone.... listening to the chuckles of those die hard Trekkies when things would be said or done that paid homage to the ghosts of Star Trek past.

I plan on going again with a long time friend of mine during a week-day and hopefully be able to not be distracted this time. What was amazing to me, is when I watched it at home the first time... I would have thought that with no one around I would have picked up on a lot more things. I found myself picking up a couple of things that I never caught the first time, which not only was enjoyable... but was an added bonus to the experience.

As I said before...... Star Trek is definitely one that I strongly suggest you see on the big screen. Angels & Demons is the second one, so far. I can't imagine Terminator also not being disappointing.... but won't see the preview copy until next week.

Please feel free to discuss your views about this movie and all that will be coming up in the future.

Dave

[edit on 5/9/2009 by Dave Rabbit]

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 02:14 AM
link   
Good job, nice clips, S&F.

Ha, that picture in the beginning looks like the kind you see on a realtor’s card.

I’ve heard JJ might direct film adaptations of the Dark Tower series. I think he’d do an amazing job; he has a knack for telling fluent and engaging stories.

When I was in love with Dark Knight I got crap from my major Batman fan friends, saying Begins was better and that DK was hyped because of Ledger’s death.

When I told my fellow Watchmen obsessed friends that the movie seemed like it would actually live up to the nature of the graphic novel a lot of them debated me, but ended up liking the movie.

Sadly though, our concurring didn’t last long and now I’m berated for loving the new Star Trek. Yes, admittedly I’m not a huge ST fan; I’ve always been a Lord of the Rings and Star Wars geek, but that movie was hugely entertaining and did a good job of re-vamping the franchise. And Quinto is hella sexy as young Spock!

Nimoy was also so much fun to watch, he was the most “human” character in the entire film.

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 01:43 PM
link   
I just saw the film yesterday at a Digital Screening. I am by no means a trekkie fan, really had never paid much attention to the series.

However, I do have to give them a hand for making an incredible movie. The actors on point, the homage to the old Trek series as well (Saw it with a die-hard trekkie) as the respect of keeping it to the basics.

I found a very original feel to the movie. Zachari Quinto nailed the spock part.

All in all 8/10 as far as I am concerned.

I urge all sci-fi fans to go see this great re-tooling of a classic franchise.

~Keeper

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Hey Dave!!

Long-time Trek nerd here...was worried that JJ Abrams' frenetic style, a'la MI: III might ruin it for me. (Not that that would prevent me from going).

For you Dave, or anyone. Seen it in the IMAX format yet? Out here in the DC 'burbs there are several venues showing it that way. Been disappointed in the past with IMAX, though.....

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 10:06 PM
link   
I'm going to see it again Monday with my best friend (my 3rd viewing), but this time in a theater that shows it in DLP. From what he tells me, it's like HDD on the Big Screen..... so really anxious to compare my favorite theater, which is close to me and this one. I may change theaters in the future for the Big Screen look see.

Dave

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 10:13 PM
link   
I would like to, but I made a vow that because so much low brow retarded crap was coming out of hollywood, that I wouldn't spend another dime in a movie theater.

I'll have to beg a dvd copy off a friend when it gets released before I can critique it.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Without spoiling anything for anyone in advance...... to me, one of the most shocking and interesting twists of this movie was a certain romantic interest that materializes before our eyes. It completely caught me off guard and thought, amongst some other great tidbits, made this prequel one of the most outstanding, well thought out ones that has come to light so far, including the Star Wars 1, 2 and 3 versions.

What's your thoughts about it?

PLEASE DON'T USE NAMES - JUST GENERIC

I hate movie spoilers.

Dave

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 11:34 AM
link   

`Star Trek' has whopping $76.5 million opening Email this Story May 10, 11:56 AM (ET) By CHRISTY LEMIRE LOS ANGELES (AP) - "Star Trek" beamed itself up to the top of the box office, earning $76.5 million in its opening weekend. Paramount Pictures had estimated that the movie would make about $50 million for the weekend, but figured that strong reviews helped carry it to the bigger opening. The studio said director J.J. Abrams' reboot of the beloved sci-fi franchise made $4 million just in pre-midnight screenings Thursday - plus a record $8.2 million in IMAX showings. "Star Trek," which reveals the back stories of Capt. Kirk, Mr. Spock and the rest of the crew of the U.S.S. Enterprise, received 96 percent positive reviews on the Rotten Tomatoes Web site.

As I said, this is a Must See even if you have never seen any of the Star Trek TV or Movies before.

Dave

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 11:56 AM
link   
I go to about 1 movie a year just because of the cost considering it costs less to buy it when it comes out on DVD.

However decided to go to this one. Holy smoke I'm a big star wars fan and almost 0 trek fan. But it looked like some good action.

Ya this was an awesome movie when I walked out all I could think was "man this was just as good as star wars" Then when you mentioned the director was a star wars fan I thought dang they need to keep him for the rest of the trek movies down the road.

The special effects are pretty cool and the plot line was just crazy and raising questions in my mind about real life science and such. Won't elaborate anymore than that as it would spoil it but I have to say I would be surprised if it wasn't a big block buster or the block buster of the summer.

After seeing this I'm thinking Angels and Demons (which is what I really want to see) will be a big let down entertainment wise when compared to this movie.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Dave!!!

Saw it last night, loved it.

As a dyed-in-the-wool Trekkie, I spotted a few inconsistences with the supposed official Star Trek canon but they actually got swept away quite nicely.

The casting is excellent, and the whole thing is a massively fun roller coaster ride. Cool stuff

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dave Rabbit

Its hinted at in the original series during - of all things - a song, but was never expanded on at all.

I think it added something unique. I like the odd curve-ball here and there.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Darthorious
After seeing this I'm thinking Angels and Demons (which is what I really want to see) will be a big let down entertainment wise when compared to this movie.

It was great on my home HDTV...... but movies like this need to be seen on the cinema. You just can't beat the LIVE atmosphere.

I will be reviewing the new Terminator movie next week.... anxious about that one. Bale was great in Dark Knight but I have heard some rumors about this one.... we'll see and I will let all of you on ATS know.

Dave

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Dave Rabbit

I loved it, I just wish it was explained and explored more instead of coming out of left field. There were certainly flirty moments between them on Star Trek, but the male character came off as being so a-sexual that you could barely notice the flirtation.

Hopefully the romance will expand the way we view the male character if there are more films.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join