It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ancient Mayan City Uncovered- dates to 250 BC

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 12:31 AM
link   

MEXICO CITY – Mexican archaeologists began this month the recovery of a great Mayan city buried under tons of earth and jungle in the archaeological area of Ichkabal on the Yucatan peninsula, the National Anthropology and History Institute, or INAH, said.

The director of the INAH center in Quintana Roo state, said that everything suggests that hidden here under the ground, the trees and jungle growth is a city covering about 30 square kilometers (11 1/2 square miles) whose study will add important archaeological information to what we know about the ancient Maya civilization.

According to the article this seems to be a fairly vast site buried under the jungle. Early indications suggest that there are buildings that are quite large, some 650 feet wide and 150 feet tall.

This is definitely one to keep an eye on. I'd be curious to see what the find.
Article

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 12:34 AM
link   
Yes, that's interesting indeed.

Hope they find the missing part of the Calender

Next doomsday will be 3012

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Google Maps describes the area to be greater or equal to the ruins of Tikal. The ancient city of Tikal was so impressive that George Lucas used it in his movie Star Wars A New Hope. Follow the link below at maps.google.com to see the topographical view of Ichkabal.

I wonder what secrets will be revealed with this new discovery?

Location of Ichkabal on Google Maps

Location of Tikal on Google Maps

[edit on 21-4-2009 by lostinspace]

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by lostinspace
Google Maps describes the area to be greater or equal to the ruins of Tikal.

Yes, something in the order of 11 1/2 sqr miles. That sounds like a pretty large area to me.

Going to take a lot of digging to unearth what lies below.

Amazing though, how we're still finding huge cities buried underground from ages ago.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Super cool, thanks for the heads up. It's these discoveries that fascinate me to no end. I wish I had the time and resources to go around investigating these findings. Maybe they will find some clue in this discovery about how the Mayans knew of such things as the galactic equinox way back then. That's one of the biggest mysteries to me, just how on Earth did the Mayans know about the concept of solar systems and galaxies and our procession within it all way back then when even today people are denying these things, despite all of the accumulating evidence we have today. Totally amazing find. Thanks, you've given me something to read about this evening.

new topics

top topics

join