It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Skydiving From The Edge Of The World

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Just wanted to share this video with you guys, i first came across it about a year and a half ago and it has stuck with me ever since it is such an amazing video.People like Joseph Kittinger are people that take humanity forward how many of you would take the risk and the leap of faith that this man took?.

I would like to say i would but how would you know? can you imagine how it must have felt putting on the equipment and taking off in the baloon? i dont look up to many people but this guy is a straight up hero in my eyes sorry if this has been posted before it probably has but i used the search function and couldnt find it so

here is a breif discription of the events sorrounding the video:

On August 16, 1960, Joseph Kittinger jumped his last ... all » Excelsior jump, doing so from an air-thin height of 102,800 feet (31,334 meters). From that nearly 20 miles altitude, his tumble toward terra firma took some 4 minutes and 36 seconds. Exceeding the speed of sound during the fall, Kittinger used a small stabilizing chute before a larger, main parachute opened in the denser atmosphere. He safely touched down in barren New Mexico desert, 13 minutes 45 seconds after he vaulted into the void.

The jump set records that still stand today, among them, the highest parachute jump, the longest freefall, and the fastest speed ever attained by a human through the atmosphere. Somewhat in contention is Kittinger's use of the small parachute for stabilization during his record-setting fall. Roger Eugene Andreyev, a Russian, is touted as holding the world's free fall record of 80,325 feet (24,483 meters), made on November 1, 1962.

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 06:15 PM
link   
I don't remember when I first saw this video, probably a year and a half-2years ago when I took interest in skydiving. It's become one of my favorite video's to watch though just because of how amazing the earth looks before/shortly after he jumps.

I'd like to think I'd be willing to do that too, but after getting that high up, I'm not sure I'd want to jump. Rather keep floating further into space and beyond.

Edit: If I recall they were doing these tests to see if Astronauts could safely make it back to earth in case of an emergency, and they almost got shutdown something like 3 times? It's been a while since I read about Kittinger.

[edit on 4/18/2009 by Zieg7410]

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 06:57 PM
link   
That must of been the most incredible, exhilarating ride of a lifetime. That takes some cojones to pull off too

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zieg7410
I'd like to think I'd be willing to do that too, but after getting that high up, I'm not sure I'd want to jump. Rather keep floating further into space and beyond.
[edit on 4/18/2009 by Zieg7410]

Ha Ha i think id rather jump then stay on the baloon we all know what would happen if you stayed on the baloon! it is amazing i couldnt imagine the feeling of falling at 614 mph and not being able to feel it

The only thing i dont understand is how did he not die when he hit the atmosphere? surely going from that speed to terminal velocity would cause a sudden stop? can you explain that seeing as your have sky diving experiance?

i suppose they dont teach you about jumping from the upper atmosphere though?

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Edge of the World? He jumped off of the edge of the world? That would be a long drop.

There was an attempt to jump from 131,000 feet last year. The balloon got off the ground but the parachutist didn't.
www.msnbc.msn.com...

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 07:49 PM
link   
I saw this a couple of years ago and remember the curvature of the Earth in one of the shots, given the backdrop of the sheer blackness of space. The emotions this guy must have been feeling would have been incredible.

This has to be thee most exhilarating thing a person can do. Here's to waiting for the moment!

posted on Apr, 19 2009 @ 04:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Interesting article phage, he is just not having any luck is he first the goverment abandoned the project saying it was too dangerous then his baloon shredded before leaving the ground,then finally it took off, just without him
all at a cost of 20 mil

Im off to the shops to buy some helium baloons and an old diving suit

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Reading

He never left the atmosphere, as thin as it was at 100k feet he was still well within the atmosphere

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 01:53 PM
link   
That must have been...I don't know what word to use!

I don't think any one word can describe what he experienced.

I'll tell you what, If I ever get cancer, I'm going to do that, and go out with a bang, or splat if you will!

new topics

top topics

join