It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jesus Missing From Obama's Georgetown Speech

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 01:43 PM
link   

www.nbcwashington.com

Amidst all of the American flags and presidential seals, there was something missing when President Barack Obama gave an economic speech at Georgetown University this week -- Jesus.

The White House asked Georgetown to cover a monogram symbolizing Jesus' name in Gaston Hall, which Obama used for his speech, according to CNSNews.com.

The gold "IHS" monogram inscribed on a pediment in the hall was covered over by a piece of black-painted plywood, and remained covered over the next ...
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 01:43 PM
link   
I don't really care if they didn't want the symbol to be shown due to trying to remain unbiased toward any religion; it's the method of which they covered it up. In Gaston Hall, there were tons of places where Jesus was symbolized, but the one place they decided to cover it up was located in a pyramid-shaped place right behind Obama? Couldn't they just have put a sheet over the entire thing or put a flag in front of it to cover it all up instead of covering that one part up with a piece of plywood? I find it to be rather odd.

www.nbcwashington.com

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Why didn't they put anything infront of obama.

I thought he was the 21st century Jesus.

Oh well, you can't stop them all.

Just so I know, have previous presidents ever covered up religious symbols?

Or should we just use the Disturbed Band symbol from now on, to not exclude everyone, but to include everyone

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 01:57 PM
link   
It's a good thing that he didn't mention any fictional characters?

However... he could have mentioned the easter bunny I guess

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Now now, we don't need the millionth "Atheist vs Christian" debate in this topic. Whether you believe in God or not, one has to admit that the symbol of Jesus was covered up in an odd way.

Originally posted by Republican08
Just so I know, have previous presidents ever covered up religious symbols?

That's a good question. Maybe somebody who has done research and has sources can answer it.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Yeah, could have been a little more subtle.

Here in the UK there was a minor, no-one-really-gives-a-damn furore over some 3rd rate soap opera removing or covering up a cross on the altar in a wedding scene. The BBC tried to whip something up about that, as is their way. 'Find someone to blame!' But nobody went for it...

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by SonicInfinity

www.nbcwashington.com

Amidst all of the American flags and presidential seals, there was something missing when President Barack Obama gave an economic speech at Georgetown University this week -- Jesus.

The White House asked Georgetown to cover a monogram symbolizing Jesus' name in Gaston Hall, which Obama used for his speech, according to CNSNews.com.

The gold "IHS" monogram inscribed on a pediment in the hall was covered over by a piece of black-painted plywood, and remained covered over the next ...

Oh no they didnt ust censor jesus... As if they havent been doing that for quite some time now...

He should just come down on his cloud surfboard and make it rain on them hoes.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 02:21 PM
link   
damned if he does
damned if he doesn't

My guess is he covered it up so people like you couldnt claim he was using symbols to suggest he's the messiah.

*sigh*

Hypocrisy is the most fluent form of human language

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Maybe because he has a Muslim name. And he is a Catholic. I'm still confused.Why would Jesus bother him? Does Jesus bother or annoy anybody in this new administration?

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 02:25 PM
link   
If he didn't cover up "Jeusus", from his standing position, wouldn't it look like he was being labeled as Jesus in any pictures taken?

Maybe he just doesn't like posing in pictures with a huge Jesus label applied above his head.

I don't see why this is news.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by SonicInfinity

Haven't you heard Obama is the messiah ? Lol it's funny he claims no persecution of anyone's beliefs then he has his flunkies covering Jesus's
name. I looked up the symbol and here's what I found. If you didn't know the black triangle is a symbol of lesbian pride used in Nazi Germany maybe even way before. I have no problem with lesbians I have friends who are lesbians but Obama using this just makes no sense doesn't anyone of his group think before they speak or act ? I'm guessing based on his campaign of supposed transparency and hope that they don't and that scares me. when colleges even refuse to give the man honorary degrees and support makes me think we have a possible George Dubya Bush clone minus the skin color and lack of any speaking skills. One thing Obama does have is a ton of charisma but his policies may very well kill us all. For those saying we shouls seperate Church and state why did Obama use a religious setting to
speak then ? Why not just do it in the campus auditorium or on the grounds somewhere else? This is just typical religious snubbing and it makes me sick to my stomach. you would think they would have a little more common sense. But I guess I forgot I live in america where that is dwindling at a high rate of speed.

[edit on 12-04-08 by Beach Bum]

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Ok so here we see him covering up "Jesus"
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c9285e650ba1.jpg[/atsimg]

And now we have him stepping aside for an "Evil' Pagan symbol.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b249847dcc4c.jpg[/atsimg]

He really is the Anti-Christ!

RUN

Nothing to it. It was simply something thought up to stir up ratings and circulation. Things must be slow in the war on "Terror"

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 02:37 PM
link   
I agree that it probably has more to do with a communications strategy than his ideology. Nevertheless, it's refreshing to see a public official trying to distance himself from religion symbolism while in office.

This reminds me of when John Ashcroft used drapes to cover the exposed breast of the spirit of justice statue that was standing behind him when he gave press conferences. Photographers loved the irony of an exposed breast in the same photo as the former christian coalition leader.

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Wow, if i'm not mistaken that's the Mayan calendar in the second photo that he's standing in front of.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Well it's about time that we start seperating politics from religion. There's no reason why any part of any religion should play any part in any government. All religious extremists do is cause problems. Anyone involved in religion should have no part of their state. It enforced seperatism, and keeps people divided because of belief differences, which is really not the message any governmental officials should be giving out.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xilvius
Well it's about time that we start seperating politics from religion. There's no reason why any part of any religion should play any part in any government. All religious extremists do is cause problems. Anyone involved in religion should have no part of their state. It enforced seperatism, and keeps people divided because of belief differences, which is really not the message any governmental officials should be giving out.

I fully agree I don't give a flying you know what if Jesus is in whatever, however I do believe in being fare so if I mention one person for a particular religious faith I would also mention people of other faiths. How about instead of saying Religion X figure just say spirit or higher being that basically covers them all without speaking of one in particular

I recently had to do a presentation involving religion rather than insulting anyone or making people feel left out I mentioned people from 8 different religions without bashing any of them that way everybody was okay and no one had a problem with what i was saying.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Man that sucks. Jesus never shows up for any of my speeches either. He never came to my baseball games, school programs, or nothing. I am going to be in therapy for years because of this. I think we should get congress to tax his bonus for like 95%.

[edit on 17-4-2009 by justsomeboreddude]

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 03:02 PM
link   
They should have covered it up with toilet paper. Finally a President that respects us atheists. It probably helps that his father was atheist.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Because Jesus is the ONLY belief that is offensive ...and of course Obama is like MANY others who believe that some imaginary person named Jesus did not ever really exist ..and if he really did exist he was just an awesome philosopher but not the son of God .... ...This view is very popular these days ...........
Bush said this in his speeches ....Jesus was his favorite Philosopher ..
I pointed this out to the christian right friends of mine who say they believe that Jesus was not just a prophet but the son of God ....and they said that was the only way Bush could explain what he thought about who Jesus was...whatever ....

Obama may not be THE ANTICHRIST ..but I do think he is an antichrist just like Bush was ................notice if they do not confess that JESUS is COME in the FLESH is not of God (They do not believe Jesus came physically)
1Jo 4:3 And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that [spirit] of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world.

[edit on 17-4-2009 by Simplynoone]

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Beach Bum
reply to post by SonicInfinity

Haven't you heard Obama is the messiah ? Lol it's funny he claims no persecution of anyone's beliefs then he has his flunkies covering Jesus's
name. I looked up the symbol and here's what I found. If you didn't know the black triangle is a symbol of lesbian pride used in Nazi Germany maybe even way before. I have no problem with lesbians I have friends who are .....wall of text truncated

He's not persecuting anyone's religion because he's not showing any favor to any religion over another.

*sigh*

Please, exercise your own free will and come up with your own decisions. Stop letting other people do it for you.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join