It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Volvo, Stops Itself!?!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Have you heard of this new Volvo that stops itself if you aren't paying attention to where you are going?

The New 2010 Volvo XC60 includes City Safety as a standard safety feature. That's a world-first as standard! City Safety is a low-speed auto braking system, where the car stops itself, preventing or minimizing a potential collision. It works between 2-19 MPH—the range in which, our research indicates, 75% of accidents occur. City Safety is just one of the reasons that the XC60 is our safest Volvo ever.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 01:38 AM
link   
Yes, I've seen it in ads on television. Mercedes-Benz has been utilizing that technology for years at all speeds, even on the highway. If you want the safest and most high-tech vehicle, go for a Mercedes.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 08:40 AM
link   
How does the car determine if your not paying attention? I wish that the car that got into an accident with me a few years ago would've had this feature! It would've sparred me a whole hot Florida summer's worth of walking to the mall to get to work.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 08:46 AM
link   
I think it was this car where they were demo-ing the prototype in front of hundreds of press by driving it straight at a brick wall. Except that the technician forgot to 'arm' the system leading to it crashing straight through!
Just goes to show 'some' level of attention is always needed and it's easy to get complacent with these things.
My car has automatic windscreen wipers but whenever I drive my girlfriends car whcih hasn't got them I can hardly see the road before I remember to manually turn them on.....maybe that's just me though...

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 08:52 AM
link   
How would it stop someone running you of the road?

Are people sure they totally want this, maybe one day people who cannot drive will not have to pay stup1d taxi fares.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 08:56 AM
link   
I think it uses front sensors to determine if you are approaching a vehicle too fast. I don't know how it would work with side collisions though

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 09:02 AM
link   
i have this option in my 4WD Lexus but works only with the cruise control on, and that of course when im driving on a highway , its a bit annoying because it has to leave a big gap between me and the car in front of me , but it dose relay brakes hard as soon as a car takes the line in front of me which is a bit dangerous, because you never know who is the idiot driving behind you.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Just wait until some teenagers find out how to activate the system without something actually being in front of you. Aluminum chaff for example.

Let the hilarity ensue. (note, last comment was sarcasm)

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 01:47 PM
link   
I wish they would come out with a Volvo that stops idiots from getting behind the wheel. That is a far more common problem with Volvos, than people rear ending someone at a stop light.

new topics

top topics

join