It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The universe is big - [IMAGE]

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 02:56 PM
link   
We have stars that are a size so large that we can not truly comprehend...

Then we have DNA that codes everything we are, yet it is so small that many of us can not comprehend that either.

Distance is what separates everyone from everything.

Maybe our purpose in life is just to make everything in this universe a little bit closer to each other...

Maybe we are just a cell of something larger, which is a cell of something larger once again.

Size does not matter, but the distance does.

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Great post. Thank you.

Really puts everything into a different frame. I never knew or guessed that this is the way things were.

Yes we have all heard of Galaxies etc but this is really amazing when you put it into our realm of understanding!!

Thank you again S and F

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 03:11 PM
link   
I just had to sit there in awe; awe and sadness, in a way. It's just incredible that we live in a universe so enormous and so full of wonder and yet we're so myopic that we allow our small, petty concerns to dominate life on this tiny planet.

Images like these really do give you a totally new perspective.

S&F

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Here is another video of the millennium simulation which is a simulation of dark mater distribution in the universe, now to me it always kinda looked like some kind of neural network, that being said is our universe really something that is greater than the sum of it's parts?

Once the 3D bit starts each point of light is the size of a single galaxy.

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 03:19 PM
link   
This video also helps to put some things into perspective:

Hubble Deep Field and Ultra Deep Field.

I sure wish I could one day see the whole universe with my own eyes. Floating among galaxies and stars at will...

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 03:20 PM
link   
And of course, we look at this from our perspective (size/measurement).... who knows how big the universe is if we go smaller... (a little Men-in-black I know but so true).... If the universe can be that BIG then just imagine how SMALL is can be also....

Mind goes mad trying to get some sort of understanding .... does not compute!

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Here is a thought that fits in with this topic.

They say that right after the big bag 99% of all matter and anti matter annihilated it self... All we see is the remaining matter (of which there was slightly more) and a minuscule amount of anti-matter

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 03:26 PM
link   
It's awesome isn't it!! Thanks for the pic!

It reminds me of when I first started pointing my telescope into the sky. After some random gazing, I remember pointing it towards the edge (belt?) of our Milky Way and just being totally humbled! It still amazes me now when I look up with my naked eye and then through the telescope ....... there's just so much in our own little galaxy. Then your picture puts that into perspective and it just blows my mind!!

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by stander

No, you just find any planet that can support life due to its characteristic and start to evolve life there. There are so many types of DNA you can design and test under real conditions.

[edit on 4/14/2009 by stander]

Of course there is no proof but you really cannot understand that there could be a life totally different from here on earth dont you? Why wouldnt an exotic life being be able to resist to high temperature such 5000°C+++? Because it make "no sense" in your head? Sorry but it is not a sufficient argument, not at all in fact. There could be another thing than the DNA, something similar or totally different. Beings that do not need water or oxygen or carbon to live. Of course, we wont know until we go and explore the universe, that is unlikely.

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by spitefulgod

You have a bottle of anything you want for this clip ;] Ehh makes you wonder what trully there is out there . I believe we will experience more of it than You think thou

To OP: Great thread mate

[edit on 14-4-2009 by Thill]

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by AlwaysQuestion
How big is the universe? Well, according to this image then we are very, very small and the universe is in reality incomprehensible...

LINK TO IMAGE

This is a large and very long image.....start at the top and carry on down, hopefully getting that 'wow' feeling.

I know there are many videos similar to this but sometimes it's nice to have a picture.

Apologies if this has been previously posted.

enjoy

Best comparison so far That I've seen. And those 10,000 galaxies didn't even cover close to 0.5 % of the sky.

It is just massive and endless.

If you really believe there is not other far more and equally as intelligent life , humanoid life too, then you are delusional.

This is amazing to look at and just to think how small our sun is compared to other suns.

I can't wait to finally be able to explore the truth. The truth is out there and I already know of it's presence but We are being help back I think from exploring it for reasons unknown to us. Weather its until we learn certain things that enable us to comprehend this knowledge or certain tests we must pass in these lives we live.

GREAT POST OP.

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 03:43 PM
link   
yeah, you are right.

a simple
WOW

Did you see that little piece darkness in the pic with the moon? and then the drifting where you see all those other galaxies?

I for my own see now all those little pieces of darkness at the moon-pic and realize all those universe out there..
and really.. a simple
WOW
or?

Thanks for sharing and open minding

(also for those who put those great clips in this thread
great guys
)

Nia

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Sorry but I just have to dubble post to say WOW again
Like they said I knew those numbers but seeing it from that perspective is just wow

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Truly amazing, thanks a lot for these pics/videos, I dont understand how can someone think that we are alone in the universe. There have to be hundreds, maybe thousands of other civilisations or forms of living. Flagged/Faved!

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by FritosBBQTwist
We have stars that are a size so large that we can not truly comprehend...

Then we have DNA that codes everything we are, yet it is so small that many of us can not comprehend that either.

Distance is what separates everyone from everything.

Maybe our purpose in life is just to make everything in this universe a little bit closer to each other...

Maybe we are just a cell of something larger, which is a cell of something larger once again.

Size does not matter, but the distance does.

Here is a good video you will like, a coup de coeur :

But i don't share your view. To think we are a cell of something bigger, that makes me think of a scene in the movie Men in black 1, in the end you see some imba huge beings playing marbles and one of these marble is our universe... Seriously it is unverifiable but it is unlikely, but still possible you could say... But that would mean that our own cells could be a world too, and seriously, you are dreaming. Dont think to high of human kind, you are really overestimating the human species. To say we are part of universe sounds fishy to me. Something creating unbalance cannot be part of the universe, and human kind is an unbalance.

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Ever sense I can remember I always argued with my friends about one thing concerning our size compared to the rest of what we know as the universe.

I always argued that, how do we know we are not some type of parasite feeding off a larger living thing. Of course it sounds absurd but case and point do you think a single particle knows what the bigger picture is, as in what role it plays as a whole? Probably not hence I believe neither do we.

Heck we're not even sure about the exact purpose of any given particle much less ourselves. We could be equivalent in particles to some other outside force or being but not like we could ever comprehend it much less know it lol.

My favorite movie scene of all time was in Men In Black 2 when the alien picked up our marble lol pretty much said it right there.

We could even take it further and say what if... such as in star wars the midichloride (spelling?) count in jedi, what if when we die and our souls are released contribute to another being giving them some type of midichloride count.

Way out there but ya when it comes to actual size there are so many what if's the only way to know the answer is by dieing assuming you believe there is something after death and even if that is so what are the chances you even know then what is going on?

Assuming mankind is still in existence in say just 100,000 years from now and still progressing forward I would love to have been born at that time. It's like the birthday present your never allowed to unwrap and even when you do there is just another layer of wrapping paper on it.

Edit: Ok maybe it was men in black 1 don't remember now lol

[edit on 14-4-2009 by Darthorious]

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 04:06 PM
link   
awsome post

makes you think about how tiny we are in just our galaxy :O
and then so on and so forth!

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 04:09 PM
link   
O Lord my God! When I in awesome wonder
Consider all the works Thy hands have made.
I see the stars, I hear the rolling thunder,
Thy power throughout the universe displayed.

Then sings my soul, my Saviour God, to Thee;
How great Thou art, how great Thou art!

Then sings my soul, My Saviour God, to Thee:
How great Thou art, how great Thou art!

Carl Sagan is right.
"We live on a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam."

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Some of you might enjoy this spacial/mathematic representation of the size of the universe:

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 04:30 PM
link   
OMG, how I love this stuff! I am sitting here with my grandson who is 4 and showing him these wonderful images, hoping to instill in him the passion and love for space that I have. I think it is working.

The Hubble video is my very favorite of them all but I really do like the last one posted as well. I can remember way back in school when I saw what a molecule and atom looked like and even as a young kid made the connection to the similarity of space to the small world. Micro universe I guess.

I so hope that when it is time for me to pass from this life to whatever is next, that I can have a chance to see space. I know that may sound nutty to some people, but more than anything I can imagine I would love to see these wonders with my own eyes.

A side question...does anyone know the name of that fabulous piece of music in the Cosmic Super Zoom video? I have loved that piece from the first time I heard it in the movie Excalibur and want to know the name of it so I can hear the entire thing. thanks for this thread, what a great thing to do with my grandson.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join