It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The best comeback ever about Guns.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 04:22 AM
link   
For those of you who are not Australian, General Peter Cosgrove is one of our most respected Leaders of the Armed forces, after having having led our troops and Interfet in East Timor(my sister served over there also as part of this force) , he is highly decorated for service, in particular Vietnam for gallentry, and was also awarded Australian of the Year in 2001. So this guy is the buisness.

General Cosgrove was being Interviewed on our national radio, ABC, in relation to his involvement with the the sponsorship of boy scouts and their participation in events at military headquaters. The interview started to turn into a debate on Children and Guns when Cosgrove mentioned that the boys would be taught shooting. Wether you are pro guns, or against them, this interview and General Cosgrves response was just awesome.

Hope you guys enjoy it.

FEMALE INTERVIEWER:*
*So, General Cosgrove, what things are you going to teach these young boys
when they visit your base?**

GENERAL COSGROVE:*
*We're going to teach them climbing, canoeing, archery and shooting.** *
*FEMALE INTERVIEWER:** **
Shooting! That's a bit irresponsible, isn't it?**

*I don't see why, they'll be properly supervised on the rifle range.*

*Don't you admit that this is a terribly dangerous activity to be teaching
children?**

*I don't see how. We will be teaching them proper rifle discipline before
they even touch a firearm.** **

*But you're equipping them to become violent killers.**

*Well, Ma'am, you're equipped to be a prostitute, but you're not one, are
you?*

*The radiocast** ** **went silent for 46 seconds and when it returned, the
interview was over.** **

Absolute Gold.

[edit on 7-4-2009 by atlasastro]

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 04:24 AM
link   
LOL

Thats not ordinary gold, thats goddamn 24ct!

Gen Cosgrove, I salute you sir!

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 04:24 AM
link   
Sorry to say but this is an oldy, he never said any of that.

Obviously been re-hashed for Cosgrove....

www.snopes.com...

[edit on 7/4/09 by Chadwickus]

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 04:25 AM
link   
you should supply a link or something....
that is hell funny...

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 04:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

Really, damn, my friend at swin.uni mailed me it, she is usually pretty good with not forwarding those urban myths. I thought it was gold.

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 04:29 AM
link   
reply to post by atlasastro

Even Alan Jones got sucked in with it last year:

www.abc.net.au...

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 04:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

LOL, Alan Jones.

I just mailed my friend to tell her, man she practically had the whole academic roster on her forward to list. LOL.

Thanks for the heads up.

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 04:34 AM
link   
i dont care if its fake...it is one of the most fantastic and true quotes ive ever heard....i will be using it if given the chance

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 04:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus
Sorry to say but this is an oldy, he never said any of that.

Obviously been re-hashed for Cosgrove....

www.snopes.com...

Yes, marginally funny but untrue.

As an aside, and in reference to the possible Welsh origins of the story, I used to go on these adventure holidays in Wales through my junior school. I was also in the army cadets at grammar school; none of it turned me in to a 'gun nut'.

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 04:37 AM
link   
reply to post by invisibleman11

I agree, there is some logic to it that you cannot argue. I guess that is why it struck me.
As I said before, it doesn't matter what side of the debate you are on, this myth has some truth that can't be denied.

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 04:42 AM
link   
it's better than "guns kill people like forks made rosie o'donell and michael moore fat"....i didnt mean anything personal by citing that quote but it's true. people look at a weapon as an instrument of death when we humans are the real instruments of death

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 04:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Merriman Weir

I was just thinking that it would be interesting to find the origins of this myth, as with alot of these myths and fables there is invariably some truth in it.

On a side note, I lived in wales for a while Merri, Oswestry on the boarder just away from Whitchurch, Shropshire. Beautiful countryside, I used to hitch rides along canal boats from the farm, that I was on, into to town. Loved it.

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 04:51 AM
link   
Myth or no, that is freakin' AWESOME. I have been raised up around guns my whole life, so has my whole family, and I have never had so much as a speeding ticket, much less gone homicidal on a schoolyard. There is far too much gun paranoia out there, these people need to wake up and realise that their kids are more likely to be killed by a drunk driver or in an accident in their own home, than by a gun-weilding maniac.

Chrono

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 05:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by atlasastro

I was just thinking that it would be interesting to find the origins of this myth, as with alot of these myths and fables there is invariably some truth in it.

The most interesting thing about the snopes.com page was the development of the story and the memetic adaption for different audiences. This is always the most fascinating element of folklore and 'Friend of a Friend' type stories; the way a story will adapt in order to survive and why stories re-emerge when they do - the mechanism that says a culture is just about right for this story to gain new ground or new audiences.

It's this kind of 'psychology' that makes conspiracies more attractive to me than the actual conspiracy content itself these days.

On a side note, I lived in wales for a while Merri, Oswestry on the boarder just away from Whitchurch, Shropshire. Beautiful countryside, I used to hitch rides along canal boats from the farm, that I was on, into to town. Loved it.

My mother is from South Wales so I spent a lot of time having holidays in Wales as a child. I was just really lucky that my junior school offered cheap PGL holidays in places like Brecon Beacons - which, by modern standards (I'm talking mid-1970s here) was probably a lot more 'rough and ready' than is probably available now. Even the cadet field stuff appears to be a lot more basic (or grim, depending on your perspective!) than it was for my nephew who was in the same cadet force at the same school only 20 years later.

Wales certainly has some beautiful countryside. Such a pity many of the natives aren't keen on my accent!

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 05:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Chronogoblin

Now that I think about it, it is funny that this myth is now popping up again considering all the incidents that have occured in the last month. Germany, Alabama, the two incidents in the last week.

I guess it adds a little balance into the debate on Guns and that there is alot more to the issue then just a Gun.
You make some great points and I think its only fair that we acknowledge that this myth rings true when we consider your own experiences and relationship with guns.

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 05:30 AM
link   

Wales used to have even more beautiful countryside. But the English stole all the best bits.

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 05:38 AM
link   

Yes, I can see what you mean, the evolution of it from Wales youth leader and "abseiling", to Americans, generals and "climbing" into Australian Forces Leader, the Scouts " etc.
I guess with each transformation new life is breed into the myth and the message it holds.
Facinating stuff.
I don't think its a coincidence, the more I think about it, that this new updated myth is doing the rounds again considering the awful gun violence in the States and the current Bikie Gang violence, and the Gun Amnesty in Australia.

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 05:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Osmoses

Wales used to have even more beautiful countryside. But the English stole all the best bits.

The best bits? What? That hard black stuff that's found underground? Coal? Too right, the Welsh can't be trusted with combustibles - look at what happens to holiday homes in Wales.

Originally posted by atlasastro

I don't think its a coincidence, the more I think about it, that this new updated myth is doing the rounds again considering the awful gun violence in the States and the current Bikie Gang violence, and the Gun Amnesty in Australia.

No, it's never a coincidence. As I mentioned before, there's a kind of cultural mechanism, a form of barometer that decides when something is ready, has purpose or is somehow plausible.

[edit on 7-4-2009 by Merriman Weir]

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 05:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Merriman Weir

Originally posted by Osmoses

The best bits? What? That hard black stuff that's found underground? Coal? Too right, the Welsh can't be trusted with combustibles - look at what happens to holiday homes in Wales.

And in one case, a house next door to a holiday home. . . . Anyway, give us back our water! Admittedly we cant use it all, but that's not the point.

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 05:50 AM
link   
I can feel some age old tensions rising, lol. Come on, sit down. I'll grab a few Pints and we can sort this all out.

Isn't Port Talbot lovely(hehe) this time of year.....umm, I'll get those pints now.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join