It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

the new ~Worm~ virus.....is there a fixlet anywhere?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 08:09 PM
link   
On April fools day in the later afternoon my yahoo messenger went skeewompus and my entire screen was scrolling infinity.....

I rebooted...ran spyware stuff......

Later that everning my puter is acting all clunky, slow & freeze up addicted......everything started flashing on the screen...I quickly shut it down....Today its SO S L O W and the spybot and adaware have both been compromised....

Does ANYBODY know of a fixlet for whatever happened on April fools day??

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 08:33 PM
link   
oh and my son's IPOD was hooked up at the time and it's all skeewompus now to.....
what happened here?

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 08:43 PM
link   
I thought the Conficter worm was just a joke.

Perhaps not?

It might be what you've got.

Here is an article about it and supposedly how to stop it.

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 11:38 PM
link   
I worship @ Foofs feet...tyvm.

I updated at the main windows site....then ran a free symantic check for this virus....
I can understand why they call it a FLICKER for it sure did make the page flicker in reality.

So far life has improved about 89%...........still wondering if I need reload all the ad blockers....

[edit on 3-4-2009 by theRiverGoddess]

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 02:54 AM
link   
reply to post by theRiverGoddess

It is very inconvenient and tiresome, but I'd suggest you back up all your personal files and clutter onto an external harddrive / flash drive / DVDs and format the computer. (As long as you have Windows disks to put back on).

The virus probably did some permanent damage to your Windows and it may never get back to full speed.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 01:33 PM
link   

My brother (who is also a computer nerd) recommends the following on computers:

AVG free (only use one anti virus software as two or more will "fight" among themselves and take up too much space)

Zone Alarm for your firewall

Spybot Search and Destroy

Adaware Free

All of the above are free and I usually go to Cnet,com for it:

download.cnet.com...

It is a shame there are idiots out there who take joy in destroying people's computers. It is just like vandalism and burglary. When I had another computer a while ago, I had to completely erase it and put in new software. I decided it was easier to sell it and not bother with computers for a while.

When I became disabled, it became more difficult for me to get around, so I bought a new computer. I made sure to talk to my brother (who is a computer whiz) and a few friends about what software to use.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by kidflash2008

My brother (who is also a computer nerd) recommends the following on computers:

AVG free (only use one anti virus software as two or more will "fight" among themselves and take up too much space)

Zone Alarm for your firewall

Spybot Search and Destroy

Adaware Free

All of the above are free and I usually go to Cnet,com for it:

download.cnet.com...
Regarding the free security software, you are bang on. I recommend the same apps too. As a confidence booster I'd advise using the Kaspersky Online Scanner. Kaspersky are the best out there. You'll need to leave your computer while it scans, but if there is anything at all it will find it.

I'm not sure of the T&Cs regarding pirate security software so I won't provide sources. My PCs and laptops all run on a variety of 'free' apps. U2U for advice.

Other useful and free software is CCleaner, Auslogics DiscDefrag and Threatfire. CCleaner is a necessity; it clears your history and removes cookies and spyware from the Temp folder. Diskdefrag is quicker than the Windows defrag and shows you the %increase in speed. Threatfire offers realtime protection against any malware.

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 03:44 AM
link   
Hi River/
I've just recently got online and was hit with you don't want to know 'How many' viruses.
I downloaded a online driver scanner by 'Uniblue' and it was infected....so that was bad..
Also as another member here said...''Kaspersky'' is great !

www.kaspersky.com...
Hope it all works out,
helen

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 06:16 AM
link   
I am now using Avira because it found some nasties AVG did not. Also I find AVG slows the computer when scanning large files (I have several very large files on my downloads folder, all legal
).

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by kidflash2008

Great list of programs, may I add some more.

ccleaner:
www.filehippo.com...

free AVG version 8.5
download.cnet.com...

Glary Utilities:
download.cnet.com...

Malewarebytes:
en.kioskea.net...

If this does not do it, then try downloading free demo of Kasperski Internet security 09.
www.kaspersky.com...
NOTE: you will have to remove all antivirus/firewall and anti spy programs "BEFORE" you can load it.
1)download kasperski
2)disconnect from interent(pull network cable)
3)Uninstall antivirus, antispy programs and your firewall.
4) Install kasperski
5)reboot-full shutdown, then turn back on
6)update kasperski
7) if it requests, reboot again after updating kasperski
8)see if there are more updates to download-do so if there are any
9)reboot if you downloaded more updates
10) run a full scan

this may take from 45min to 3 hours, depending on your processor/ram/harddrive and how much data you have on harddrive.

Hope this helps.

new topics

top topics

join