It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Smokers feeling abused as federal tax hike hits

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Smokers feeling abused as federal tax hike hits

www.cnn.com

The tobacco tax hikes, which President Obama signed into law in February, will be used to finance an expansion of the State Children's Health Insurance Program, or SCHIP. The expansion, which will cost $35 million over five years, is expected to secure federally funded health care for an additional 4 million children.
(visit the link for the full news article)

+19 more 
posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 08:14 AM
link   
I just love how they sell this crap to the public. First, they demonize smokers and smoking, filling the public with as much, if not more, disinformation and blatant lies about smoking and the so-called dangers of "second hand smoke." Then they treat American tobacco companies like money-filled pinatas. Then they institute a punishingly high tax that has its biggest effect on the poor. The non-smoking public has now been so indoctrinated that they can't wait to punish smokers with these taxes, with the attitude that "if they want to kill themselves, we might as well make some money off of it..." ironically, the same charges that were laid before the tobacco companies when the courts and the government started to loot their cash.

What all of these idiots who vote to approve these taxes don't see is that they've created a system that is absolutely dependent on a steady and large stream of tobacco tax revinue. That monster needs to be fed and fed often... and its hungry. Every jerk-off who casts their ballot in favor of these "sin taxes" thinking "I don't smoke, so it won't affect me" lack the basic insight to fathom the big picture. Greed is gonna kill smoking faster than cancer ever will. You can only tax smokers so much, until they reach a point that, no matter how much they enjoy a good smoke (and don't let all of that propoganda fool you... smokers DO enjoy it) that it just isn't worth it to buy a pack of cigarettes anymore. Everyone has their price and everyone has a line they just won't cross.

So what happens when that revenue stream dries up? What happens when the monster is no longer being fed? Does anyone really think that all of these happy shiney programs attached to tobacco tax money will be left hanging? Oh no... no, not one bit. No, the monster is going to look to feed elsewhere; and when it does, all of these fools who happily voted for the tobacco taxes are going to find that something THEY like to do is going to get bit eventually.

And I'm a non-smoker.

www.cnn.com

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 08:18 AM
link   
I know I felt abused yesterday afternoon when I went to buy cigarettes before the tax hike hit today and had to go to 4 different places before I found somewhere that hadn't applied the tax yet.

$40.00 for a carton. :shk:

Makes a person really, really consider quitting just to stick it to someone.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 08:20 AM
link   
I smoke cigars on occasion but after this hike, I'm not smoking anymore.... buying at least. I bought some last night knowing the prices were about to jump and I promise you, I won't be buying anymore unless I just roll into a load of cash and can afford it. I have my line, and I'm not crossing it until something changes

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 08:21 AM
link   
I didn't see anywhere in the article where people voted to raise the tax on cigs. It was signed into law by Obama. So why the fury at non-smokers?

I would assume once the tobacco money dries up the govt will tax the hell out of alcohol.

Oh and PS: Quit smoking it's bad for you

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 08:54 AM
link   
reply to post by skeptic1

I started smoking (vaping) e-cigarettes two weeks ago and haven't picked up a normal cigarette since. I get all my nicotine requirements, I vape at my desk or in meetings and nobody is the wiser.

I can smell, taste and breathe again - really getting the benefits of smoking without the side effects.

In fact I am getting so much interest I managed to get my supplier to sell to me at cost so that I can sell to everyone in my social circles who is interested. It will pay for my e-cigarette habit at the very least so I am very happy!

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 08:57 AM
link   
At least Obama isn't increasing taxes on the poor right?(

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by jjkenobi
I didn't see anywhere in the article where people voted to raise the tax on cigs. It was signed into law by Obama. So why the fury at non-smokers?

I would assume once the tobacco money dries up the govt will tax the hell out of alcohol.

Did give up cigarettes, today is day 38.

I agree, booze will be the next target. What after that then? May as well tax a round of golf at about 30% then move on to minnows and worms too fishermen will love that.. Tax the hell out of anything citizens find to be enjoyable.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 08:58 AM
link   

It's every human's right to do what they want with their own bodies. I know it has the potential to be bad for me, it's not like I am blind to the billions of dollars spent telling me this, I could just care less.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

Of course it is shady.

Sin taxes are taxes that hit the poor and middle class specifically. But, I suppose if it isn't an income tax hike, it doesn't count.

States are increasing taxes on cigarettes as well, and some states like Kentucky are hiking taxes on alcohol, also.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Well what people should be out raged is how trillions of dollars can go into the financial intuitions at the expenses of tax payer but how much of that money is going for the nations needs.

What a whole bunch of crap, one bonus from the AIG can pay for the entire children's insurance for a year.

Do you people see the hypocrisy.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

That's funny right there. The Governor of my state (Minnesota) pledged no new taxes or the raising of taxes. When he pushed his tax increase on cigarettes a few years ago, he called it a fee. When it was found in court that the "fee" wasn't legal because of the settlement the state had with the tobacco industry, the "fee" was never repealed.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 09:15 AM
link   
I'm a smoker and I have to say these taxes really irk me. I live in New York and the tax hikes have hit my local bodega already, a pack of Marlboros is now about $10 each.

Due to the excessive price of cigarettes I started rolling them myself a few years ago since a pack of rolling tobacco (about enough for 40 or more cigarettes) is about $2 a pack (loose tobacco is a different tax class). However, with this new tax increase my tobacco is now literally twice the price! A 100% increase on taxes which we didn't vote for!!

On other brands, like Drum, the taxes are now $5 for a $4 pack of tobacco, that means the government makes more money off the tobacco than the company does!

But what really gets me about this whole thing is that fact that it has done NOTHING to stop people from smoking. Tony at the Bodega still sells as many packs of smokes as always to the same people he's always sold them to!

If the government is in such desperate need for extra cash then maybe they should stop sending TRILLIONS of dollars to inept criminals in the financial industry and start sending it to sick kids that actually need it.

No taxation without representation? hahaha, good one

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Shadowflux

I have always wondered why all the tax hikes from cigarettes seem to go to children's health insurance. I mean, the government hikes taxes on cigarettes to pay for that while on the other hand wanting people to stop smoking due to the health problems caused.

Well, if the people stopped smoking, what would pay for children's health care?

These people are crazy and one day, their stupid actions like this are going to come back to bite them in the butt.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by skeptic1
I know I felt abused yesterday afternoon when I went to buy cigarettes before the tax hike hit today and had to go to 4 different places before I found somewhere that hadn't applied the tax yet.

$40.00 for a carton. :shk:

Makes a person really, really consider quitting just to stick it to someone.

Yeah last week I bought a pack and it was $6.88 and that was before the tax! I am not a big smoker but the pack I have now will be my last. I will not pay that much for cigarettes. My roommate bought a carton and it was just shy of 50 bucks.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 09:29 AM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

I am in Georgia, and they are cheaper here than most places in the country. Last week, I could get a carton for $25-$28 for Marlboros. No longer.....

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 09:33 AM
link   
I think this tax hike is ridiculous and I don't even smoke. We get taxed entirely way to much already.

EDIT: Typo

[edit on 1-4-2009 by mkross1983]

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by larphillips
No, the monster is going to look to feed elsewhere; and when it does, all of these fools who happily voted for the tobacco taxes are going to find that something THEY like to do is going to get bit eventually.
www.cnn.com

Well thats alcohol and tobacco done, so next they'll invent a new guilt tax to feed this hungy monster that you speak of.

Ooh, lets see....... what everyday luxuries items could we tax in these tough financial times......
How about.....
40% tax on ALL COSMETICS ( lotions, potions, bathbombs,etc etc) and ALL COSMETIC PROCEDURES like Botox, artificial suntans, plastic surgery....
None of these are necessary, so girls you'll have to cough up for the little kids in these hospitals....and other social programmes that we need money for.
It will be called a VANITY TAX.

I can just imagine TSHTF if that ever gets introduced.

It would raise absolute gazillions!!

Sorry to hear about how much tax that's been sucked out of you smokers.
I'm paying $14 for something that only costs $3 to make (cigarettes)
So I can totally sympathise.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 09:38 AM
link   
There was a time when some convenience stores sold single cigarettes. Not sure of the tax laws, but it seems that if you bought a pack and paid the tax on it, the gov't should be satisfied with that, right?

Right...

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by larphillips

I just love how they sell this crap to the public. First, they demonize smokers and smoking, filling the public with as much, if not more, disinformation and blatant lies about smoking and the so-called dangers of "second hand smoke." Then they treat American tobacco companies like money-filled pinatas. Then they institute a punishingly high tax that has its biggest effect on the poor. The non-smoking public has now been so indoctrinated that they can't wait to punish smokers with these taxes, with the attitude that "if they want to kill themselves, we might as well make some money off of it..." ironically, the same charges that were laid before the tobacco companies when the courts and the government started to loot their cash.

What all of these idiots who vote to approve these taxes don't see is that they've created a system that is absolutely dependent on a steady and large stream of tobacco tax revinue. That monster needs to be fed and fed often... and its hungry. Every jerk-off who casts their ballot in favor of these "sin taxes" thinking "I don't smoke, so it won't affect me" lack the basic insight to fathom the big picture. Greed is gonna kill smoking faster than cancer ever will. You can only tax smokers so much, until they reach a point that, no matter how much they enjoy a good smoke (and don't let all of that propoganda fool you... smokers DO enjoy it) that it just isn't worth it to buy a pack of cigarettes anymore. Everyone has their price and everyone has a line they just won't cross.

So what happens when that revenue stream dries up? What happens when the monster is no longer being fed? Does anyone really think that all of these happy shiney programs attached to tobacco tax money will be left hanging? Oh no... no, not one bit. No, the monster is going to look to feed elsewhere; and when it does, all of these fools who happily voted for the tobacco taxes are going to find that something THEY like to do is going to get bit eventually.

And I'm a non-smoker.

www.cnn.com

I feel you man, in New Zealand it increased also. As if the tax for Sigies are not high enough without another increase. It pisses me off because it proves to me how powerless I'm as an individual.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join