It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

French leader threatens G20 walkout and blame "Anglo-Saxons'' for causing the economic crisis

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 03:58 AM
link   

French leader threatens G20 walkout and blame "Anglo-Saxons'' for causing the economic crisis

www.news.com.au

FRENCH President Nicolas Sarkozy has threatened to walk out of the G20 summit in London if leaders of the world's biggest economies fail to commit to introducing tougher financial regulations.

France and Germany both want the talks on Thursday to focus on the need for new rules for the financial services industry in an attempt to avoid a repeat of the current credit crunch.

Mr Sarkozy also wants a global financial regulator, something which has been opposed by the summit's host British Prime Minister Gordon Brown and US President Barack Obama.

Britain and the US believe countries instead need to focus on increasing public spending to help drive economic growth.

Any walk-out by the French President would cause major embarrassment for Mr Brown and Mr Obama, who hopes the talks will create a pathway to recovery for the global economy.

But Mr Sarkozy's deputy chief of staff for economic affairs Xavier Musca said the French President was prepared to walk away from the talks if the summit produces a "false success with language that sounds good but contains no commitments''.

"A basic rule with nuclear deterrence is that you do not say at what point you will use the weapon,'' Mr Musca told The Times newspaper.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 03:58 AM
link   
This G20 summit is a total catastrophe. We expected a united stand against the current crisis and all we get is the start of a blame game. This summit was previously a gathering of finance ministers from the 20 countries and now you have the leaders of the countries gathering. Please let the professionals do their work. Politicians are hopeless. The French president may be right regarding having a global financial regulator but then blaming this crisis on the Anglo Saxons is lame......

www.news.com.au

[edit on 31-3-2009 by rattan1]

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 04:04 AM
link   
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

aaaaaaahHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
^that was my second line.

Go on France

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 04:08 AM
link   
Sarkozy is only playing his part in the fixed game of chess that will eventually result in a world currency. Regardless of whether he appears to be stamping his feet and showing his "disapproval", he's only playing the game.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 04:23 AM
link   
Good. This meeting needs to fail. France and Germany needs to say NO to the anglo-saxon empire. Anglo-saxon empire refers to UK and US.

Obama and Brown can go touch each other in the G20 restrooms.

[edit on 31-3-2009 by Vitchilo]

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 04:25 AM
link   
"Anglo-Saxons"? What's the date on this news story? 31st March 650 AD?

Whilst I can understand some desire for France to distance themselves from Britain or America, but what a ridiculous way of phrasing this. If the French do place any weight on 'displacement' or 'conquest' theories, aren't they familiar with the Vikings or the Norman Invasion? You know, the things that superseded the previous Anglo-Saxon invasion? If you want to support a particular approach to history, you can't be selective about it, Sarkozy.

Also, I love the idea of Americans being Anglo-Saxon considering half of them claim to be related to either Brian Boru or William Wallace and the rest can point out that they've either got First Nation blood in them or their Swedish grandmother still can't speak a word of English but makes beautiful pannkakor.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 04:29 AM
link   
Well, Sarko's threat is first of all grandstanding for the home audience.

The French, when faced with closing factories, will either strike, organize street protests in front of important gov't ministries, or more rarely, even take over the corporate offices and take the CEOs hostage. This last move happens rather frequently in fact, and is more symbolic than aggressive, with TV crews inside the offices and sandwiches and take-out sent in, but no SWAT teams are mounted by panicked authorities, because it is all theater in the end.

Secondly, he has very good reason to blame the "anglo-saxons," since it is indeed the US and the UK that are the defacto bankrupts dragging the rest of the industrialized West deeper into this quagmire. The French, until only a few years ago, didn't even have credit cards, only debit cards, and are very careful about their personal debt levels, and look upon the goings-on in the US and UK with horror and incomprehension.

Also, the gov't and the large European banks are quite aware of what is going on with the US Fed now monetizing debt and letting the financial crony/elites who destroyed the US economy continue to run the bailout show for their own continuing profit, and the grave dangers this represents to the stability of the world economy.

What is also interesting, from the globalist/NWO perspective, is that Sarko is calling for a world financial regulatory system--the start of the dreaded world bank. So his announcement can also be interpreted as a scripted move in a larger NWO pantomime to introduce that supranational monster in response to the crisis generated by the anglo-saxons.

[edit on 31-3-2009 by gottago]

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 04:37 AM
link   
It looks like the Eurozone countries are distancing themselves from the UK and the US. I wonder what will happen if the Eurozone, Chinese and Russians would just go ahead and create a basket currency as a new global reserve currency.

Would the US and UK be in a position to do anything to counter it? I doubt that the OPEC countries would mind a new global currency. And the US don't have many allies that would like to link their economic future to the dollar at the moment.

Another thing...I can understand that the US is against a global regulator. They can't even audit the Fed at the moment. So in effect they can't comply with any regulation a third party would impose.
But the UK? Why are they against tougher financial regulations? What have they been doing lately? Does anyone know if the UK started printing money just like the FED?

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 04:46 AM
link   

Mr Sarkozy also wants a global financial regulator, something which has been opposed by the summit's host British Prime Minister Gordon Brown and US President Barack Obama.

Gordon Brown is FOR a global regulator hes the one who called for it!! Obama hasn't said yes or no, he only said no to the one China proposed.

This is all a freking show and they're all in on it. There will be a new global currency.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 04:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by rattan1

This G20 summit is a total catastrophe. We expected a united stand against the current crisis and all we get is the start of a blame game. This summit was previously a gathering of finance ministers from the 20 countries and now you have the leaders of the countries gathering. Please let the professionals do their work. Politicians are hopeless. The French president may be right regarding having a global financial regulator but then blaming this crisis on the Anglo Saxons is lame......

I agree. It isn't as though France and Germany haven't been playing financial games for their own fun and profit, even when it meant helping Saddam Hussein re-arm Iraq (the Food for Oil debacle, in which French banks were implicated thoroughly as money launderers and conduits for bribes to Kofi Annan and other high UN officials).

However, the man has a point. The debt circus in this country has been completely irresponsible - an attempt to stoke phony financial upswings by making debt far too cheap and available. And when irresponsible fiscal policy is conducted for as long as it has been in the world's largest economy (until recently, the US), this can only have terrible results for the world economy.

The next time something like this happens, it'll probably involve China, whose banking system isn't even as well-run as ours is. Billions are out from Chinese banks in loans to politically well-connected industrialists and politicians that could go into default if the downturn in the global economy continues. And in that case, the first thing China would have to do is unload the massive surplus of dollars it owns to maintain liquidity.

But grandstanding loudly is a punk stunt. I thought better of Sarkozy, but I guess a politician is a politician. They all suck.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 05:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by rattan1

www.news.com.au

FRENCH President Nicolas Sarkozy has threatened to walk out of the G20 summit in London if leaders of the world's biggest economies fail to commit to introducing tougher financial regulations.

France and Germany both want the talks on Thursday to focus on the need for new rules for the financial services industry in an attempt to avoid a repeat of the current credit crunch.

Britain and the US believe countries instead need to focus on increasing public spending to help drive economic growth.

Any walk-out by the French President would cause major embarrassment for Mr Brown and Mr Obama, who hopes the talks will create a pathway to recovery for the global economy.

But Mr Sarkozy's deputy chief of staff for economic affairs Xavier Musca said the French President was prepared to walk away from the talks if the summit produces a "false success with language that sounds good but contains no commitments''.

"A basic rule with nuclear deterrence is that you do not say at what point you will use the weapon,'' Mr Musca told The Times newspaper.

he is only talking about this now because he is playing his role, in this big game....

(sigh)

were doomed... the puppet masters, have placed their toys in position to distract the public... once again... instead of focusing on the real issue, the G20 summit and what really being talked about behind those walls.... this well played (walkout talk), will hit headlines and suck up airtime and limit other topics...

Wake up earth!

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 05:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dorfl
It looks like the Eurozone countries are distancing themselves from the UK and the US. I wonder what will happen if the Eurozone, Chinese and Russians would just go ahead and create a basket currency as a new global reserve currency.

Would the US and UK be in a position to do anything to counter it? I doubt that the OPEC countries would mind a new global currency. And the US don't have many allies that would like to link their economic future to the dollar at the moment.

Another thing...I can understand that the US is against a global regulator. They can't even audit the Fed at the moment. So in effect they can't comply with any regulation a third party would impose.
But the UK? Why are they against tougher financial regulations? What have they been doing lately? Does anyone know if the UK started printing money just like the FED?

I think that there is just so much linkage between the US and UK economies that any controls which adversely effect business in the US would also drag Britain's economy down further - and even now the UK is at the door of the IMF asking for help.

As a citizen of the US, I'm ashamed of this mess and angry at the effectively non self-regulating banking and equities industry in this country who made it possible. Debt is far too cheap and available here, and it has been going back to the Clinton Administration (when a "recovery" resulted from fast moves with paper and Greenspan holding the prime interest rate down to the ground for years). There simply wasn't enough economic activity in the country to back all the money in the economy.

What to do? Stricter bankruptcy laws have been tried. The problem is in the equities markets - mortgages are too cheap here and too easy to get, and for years the investment banks have been purposefully and aggressively marketing second and third mortgages - essentially unsecured loans if the economy goes south. We need someone to watch the damn store, but mortgage bankers OWN the government.

Barack Obama was Congress' leading recipient of campaign funds from the two major national mortgage banks, Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac when he was in the Senate, so we can count on him to represent their interests, not ours. Hope and change. Sure thing, you lying couillon.

[edit on 31-3-2009 by Murky]

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 05:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Merriman Weir
"Anglo-Saxons"? What's the date on this news story? 31st March 650 AD?

Whilst I can understand some desire for France to distance themselves from Britain or America, but what a ridiculous way of phrasing this. If the French do place any weight on 'displacement' or 'conquest' theories, aren't they familiar with the Vikings or the Norman Invasion? You know, the things that superseded the previous Anglo-Saxon invasion? If you want to support a particular approach to history, you can't be selective about it, Sarkozy.

Also, I love the idea of Americans being Anglo-Saxon considering half of them claim to be related to either Brian Boru or William Wallace and the rest can point out that they've either got First Nation blood in them or their Swedish grandmother still can't speak a word of English but makes beautiful pannkakor.

That cracked me up, too. I'm a Cajun - descended from French and Alsatian setters in south Louisiana, near New Orleans, and my French Lit prof kept on jumping on me about my "Anglo-Saxon" accent (the class was held in French). I don't have a drop of English blood in me - my father's side of the fanily came to America from Bavaria just after the War Between the States, and my mother's side came down from Nova Scotia around 1750.
No Angles and no Saxons in my ancestry. But the dialect of French I grew up speaking was heavily influenced by German settlers who settled my home town before the Cajuns got there, so I guess Madame Professeur had a point.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 05:21 AM
link   
well i hate my internet.. i made a great large post..

ill shorten it..

how can we have a one world currency? if the only way we make money is trade in slave labour?

china > world

wont be good for them if we have 1 currency unless the plan is to make us all slaves like they are in china

oh man we are dooooomed..

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 05:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
Good. This meeting needs to fail. France and Germany needs to say NO to the anglo-saxon empire. Anglo-saxon empire refers to UK and US.

Obama and Brown can go touch each other in the G20 restrooms.

[edit on 31-3-2009 by Vitchilo]

And you can go yob tvoyu mat'. She misses you.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 05:32 AM
link   
Seeing as the Frenchies are blaming us 'Anglo-Saxons' for the economic crisis and if he walks away, I think we in the UK should block up the channel tunnel and let them keep all the immigrants that make their way through France to the UK, as a reprisal.

But of course it is all just a game to TPTB to keep us citizens in the dark and keep us guessing who's really to blame. Everyone of them has a bit part to play and reacts accordingly to the moods of the audience but the story finishes the way its written, its just the actors change moods to make us happy , sad, angry or desperate.
We will lose no matter what happens,

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 05:41 AM
link   

Seeing as the Frenchies are blaming us 'Anglo-Saxons' for the economic crisis and if he walks away, I think we in the UK should block up the channel tunnel and let them keep all the immigrants that make their way through France to the UK, as a reprisal.

Yeah because it's TOTALLY the frenchs who own JP Morgan, Citigroup, Bank Of America, Goldman Sachs, Royal Bank Of Scotland, LLoyds, Barclays and HSBC. The french are only responsable for Societe Generale. The biggest culprits are JP Morgan and Goldman Sachs, the FED, the treasury department, Bill Clinton, Bush, Obama, Brown, Blair and the US congress who voted for abolishing Glass-Steagal Act and pushed Freddie Mac/Fannie Mae to do all those loans. And I don't remember which congresscriter pushed to reinstate the credit defaut swaps markets.

Sorry, the french aren't to blame here. The scum in your governments and the banks ARE.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 05:46 AM
link   
I truly hope that this does cause rifts between the European nations.

We are all far to interdependent. The globalization of industry and agriculture is what is making all of this worse, and we need protectionism now.

If Brown was an intelligent man, he would have nationalized the banks that were in trouble, invested the last few Billions he hadn't wasted on encouraging adequate farming, energy production and industry in the UK, to help this country survive through this storm. That is what every country should be doing right now.
If we couple that with renewed focus on limiting waste, careful use of energy and living within our means, I'm sure we would be out of this mess within five years.

They can have all the talks they like, but in a crisis, a leader is supposed to ensure their people come first, and Brown isn't doing that.

We don't need more of the same stupidity that caused this mess (globalization, corporate greed, global capitalism) we need to become self-sufficient and focus on the vital infrastructure of this country to ensure that this happens.

I can guarantee this G20 meeting will accomplish nothing, except maybe a lot of chaos and destruction to London.

And, in case others had missed it, they are already rounding-up potential protesters ahead of this. There were a few arrests yesterday and listed as "evidence" was "political material". So now, you're not even allowed to have an opposing view in this awful country it seems.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 05:47 AM
link   
Sorry, the french aren't to blame here. The scum in your governments and the banks ARE.

maybe the problem is we let them get away with it?

pointing fingers at the very people we alow to shaft us is a cop out..

we know who runs the show and we are very happy for them to do so unless it grates the masses that much they rebel.. and most of the time people reble because they are duped into it in the first place..

money for instance.. biggest scamm known to any being..

i point you to the ANT for refrence of this dumbness we tout as interlect when infact we are the dumbest thing alive on our planet.

and i use WE becuase i sit here just like u waffling on about it when infact we could DO something about it but we DONT...

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 05:55 AM
link   
Is this french leader calling Obama Anglo-Saxon.

Or all the french in canada or the scots or all the African Americans in the US.
all the spanish or mexicans the swedes the chinese ETC ETC

The US is not anglo saxon not by a long shot.

France is more Anglo Saxon then the US.

it is even questionable if the UK can even be classed as Anglo Saxon

Before the late 20th century it was thought that the Saxon migration was extensive, and that the previous inhabitants of Britain had either fled to Wales, Cornwall, and Scotland (the areas known as the "Celtic fringe") or had been killed. However, a consensus arose among historians in the late 20th century that the migration had been only of the elites - the only persons considered worth mentioning in most ancient histories - and that the common people did not flee; the existence of the Celtic fringe was therefore thought not to be caused by the Celts fleeing there but by the Saxon elite (and therefore Saxon culture) not reaching those areas. Recent genetic testing has suggested that the native English are genetically nearly identical to the Scots, Irish, and Welsh, and that a Saxon elite merely replaced a Celtic elite, leaving the common people (who were mainly of pre-Celtic ancestry) alone for the most part.[9] It may therefore be misleading to consider the Saxons as the "ancestors of the English" or to overemphasize the genetic differences (as opposed to cultural differences) between various areas of the British Isles.
en.wikipedia.org...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join