It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"The County Sheriff: America's Last Hope"

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 01:03 AM
link   

The founders of our nation were afraid of one thing more than any other... government having too much power! Remember, they escaped from the tyranny of an oppressive and controlling government when they established this nation. They fought and died for it, and now we are letting these same freedoms they fought for slip away little by little, without a second thought.

Please join me in the fight to regain our rights, while the price to pay is less than death. I am committed to doing all we can peacefully to get our country back.

In order to succeed, we must first make ourselves aware of the problem. We must educate ourselves, and then we can know what action to take. One of the best and easiest solutions is to depend on local officials, especially the sheriff, to stand against federal intervention and federal criminality.

www.sheriffmack.com...

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 01:06 AM
link   
With the advent of rising 'Tea Parties,' and outcries for real change in America, this website informs us of the powers of our local Sheriff depts.
Please take the time to read.
Although I don't often ascribe to websites soliciting donations; the donation aspect is optional. It cost nothing to read and learn. Thanks.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 01:08 AM
link   

* What rights does the constitution actually guarantee?
* Why is it important that we not allow our means of self-defense to be taken from us?
* What are the dangers of giving government too much power?
* What can we do to remain strong as individuals and families, so that we can remain strong as a nation?
* How do we win the war on illegal drugs?
* What can the sheriff do to protect us from all enemies, both foreign and domestic?

Please take a few moments to read and think about these things. It really may be a life or death situation!

www.sheriffmack.com...

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 01:10 AM
link   
I would truly appreciate your thoughts and replies on the above questions. How will you answer? What is your understanding?

If this is in wrong topic, please move. Thank you!

[edit on 30-3-2009 by sizzle]

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 01:15 AM
link   

Yes, that's the plan. Make sure that every sheriff in the country has received a copy of the new book. We're not going to force them -- er, excuse me... withhold federal money from them -- but we are going to give them an opportunity to read it. With your donations, we can make it happen. When every sheriff understands his duty and functions with the support of those whom he serves, then not only will there be "no sheriff left behind" but we, the people will not be left behind!

www.sheriffmack.com...

This is the only solicitation of donations. Totally voluntary.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 01:20 AM
link   

70.060 Sheriff may command power of county.
Any sheriff, deputy sheriff or other like officer may command and take with him the power of the county, or a part thereof, to aid him in the execution of the duties of his office, and may summon as many persons as he deems necessary to aid him in the performance thereof.
History: Amended 1962 Ky. Acts ch. 234, sec. 16. -- Recodified 1942 Ky. Acts ch. 208, sec. 1, effective October 1, 1942, from Ky. Stat. sec. 4578.

www.lrc.ky.gov...

This is a link for the powers of the local Sheriff's Dept. Very enlightening read!

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 01:26 AM
link   

The Office of Sheriff traces its origins to tenth century England and is firmly rooted in the common law. It is the oldest law enforcement office known within the common law system and is accorded dignity and high trust. The American Colonies adopted the Office of Sheriff and the position evolved into that of, ”Chief Law Enforcement Officer,” in nearly all states. Today, the Office of Sheriff protects the citizenry in 3084 American counties.

As the chief and only elected law enforcement officer, the Office of Sheriff is unique in that the Sheriff is accountable “directly to the people.” This allows the Sheriff the freedom to speak out on matters affecting criminal justice and public safety.

The Office of Sheriff has existed in Washington since the formation of the Washington Territory in 1853. The Office of Sheriff is established by Article XI, Section 5 of the Washington State Constitution. The major duties of the Office of Sheriff are prescribed in Section 38.28.010 of the Revised Code of Washington and include the following:

The sheriff is the chief executive officer and conservator of the peace of the county. In the execution of his office, he and his deputies:

(1) Shall arrest and commit to prison all persons who break the peace, or attempt to break it, and all persons guilty of public offenses;

(2) Shall defend the county against those who, by riot or otherwise, endanger the public peace or safety;

(3) Shall execute the process and orders of the courts of justice or judicial officers, when delivered for that purpose, according to law;

(4) Shall execute all warrants delivered for that purpose by other public officers, according to the provisions of particular statutes;

(5) Shall attend the sessions of the courts of record held within the county, and obey their lawful orders or directions;

(6) Shall keep and preserve the peace in their respective counties, and quiet and suppress all affrays, riots, unlawful assemblies and insurrections, for which purpose, and for the service of process in civil or criminal cases, and in apprehending or securing any person for felony or breach of the peace, they may call to their aid such persons, or power of their county as they may deem necessary.

www.co.whatcom.wa.us...
Another good read on powers of office for the Sheriff Depts. of our country

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 01:51 AM
link   

The following history of the office of sheriff is provided by the National Sheriff's Association publications.
Western Sheriff Gear The office of sheriff is the oldest political office in the western world. It has existed in one form or another since the reign of King Alfred the Great (871-901 A.D.). The office of sheriff evolved from a rudimentary method for providing local control and services under the monarchy to an arm of democratic government fully invested in the constitutional pursuit of justice. Significantly, it has remained a fundamentally local institution.

The roots of the office of sheriff may be found in Anglo-Saxon England. Families came together in groups of ten families. They were called tithing. The leader of these groups were called tithing men, who were elected by each tithing. He had the responsibility of raising the Hue and Cry (a process in which every able-bodied man had to participate in the chase and apprehension of offenders; this was the origin of today's citizen's arrest).

www.delawarecountysheriff.org...
Some very interesting info on the history and development of the SD, provided by Delaware County S.O.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 01:55 AM
link   

During the great westward expansion of the United States, the sheriff was installed in every territory and state. The sheriff followed near on the heels of the pioneers who settled the areas. Violence was a common problem on the frontier, and the idea that there had to be a "taming" of the west was what had the sheriffs moving west just behind the first pioneers.

These new migrating sheriffs retained their common law duties. One common law power that became particularly important in the sparsely populated and expansive western lands was that of Posse Comitatus, "the power of the county." This put all of the able-bodied men in the county at the disposal of the sheriff, a clear benefit at a time when the sheriff had few deputies at his disposal.

Also from the Delaware County Indiana S.D. Defining the meaning and origin of Posse Comitatus. Power of the County.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 01:59 AM
link   

In the mid-1990s, the transformation of the sheriff and his duties was greatly expanded. What began as a horseback sheriff housing prisoners in his home evolved into a full-service sheriff's office, which provides law enforcement, patrol duties, security to the courts, service of civil process, and operation of the county jail.

The office of sheriff is potentially the most powerful in the entire criminal justice system. And its influence extends far beyond that system. There are at least five reasons for this:

First, the sheriff is the chief law enforcement officer in his county. This status derives from the Common Law and applies whether the office in question is established by constitution or statute. It is also typical for sheriffs to be constitutionally or legislatively authorized to assume the functions of municipal law enforcement within their counties under circumstances of a breakdown of public order, wide-scale corruption, or collapse of the local enforcement mechanism.

Second, the sheriff is elected at-large on a county-wide basis. This, of course, means that the sheriff is directly accountable to the entire electorate for his performance. The sheriff typically garners a significant portion of the votes cast; this is a great source of power and an awesome responsibility.

Follow link for the remaining three reasons why "The office of sheriff is potentially the most powerful in the entire criminal justice system."

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 02:08 AM
link   
S & F!!!
Excellent thread and coud not be more timely.
Shoud be required reading for every person on this website aa well as every deputy in the country.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 02:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Elostone
S & F!!!
Excellent thread and coud not be more timely.
Shoud be required reading for every person on this website aa well as every deputy in the country.

Thank you for your time in reading and replying. I, too believe that this is a timely topic. One oft overlooked.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 02:24 AM
link   
reply to post by sizzle

Star and Flag, good post, lots of good info.

It gives us a clear path via local law to band together if needed.

I hope it works out for those who stick around to find out.

Good Luck to all the good ppl !

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 03:18 AM
link   

Fifth, the sheriff is part of an institution that transcends the local community. He has peers in 46 states in the Union. He is part of a state coalition of his peers that wields significant influence in the development of policy and law. He and his state colleagues are part of a national coalition that performs the same role in Washington, D.C. As elected officials themselves, the sheriffs represent a powerful -- and short -- link between state and federal lawmakers and their constituents "back home." When sheriffs speak, legislators listen.

Just thought this 5th reason for the SD, was worth a special mention. Maybe we should begin voicing our governmental concerns to the SD, rather than Congress, etc.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 03:23 AM
link   

THE SHERIFF
MORE POWER THAN THE PRESIDENT

By: Alan Stang

For many years, the people’s attention in the Battle for America has been directed toward the federal government and its offices. Candidates stand for the House and the Senate. Patriotic groups publish voting records of incumbents. Considerable time, effort and money are expended in support of candidates for President. After decades of such commendable activity, the record shows it is an utter failure. The danger to the nation is worse than it ever was.

For many of those years, Republicrud bosses whined that if the people would only give them control of the federal government, they would undo Democrud damage and restore Free Enterprise. Finally, the people gave it to them. Remember? The Republicruds controlled the House, the Senate and the Oval Office long enough to turn the country around. What happened? The Republicruds made our problems much worse. Their spending made the profligate drunken sailor look like Scrooge. They deserved it when the people kicked them out. They lost all credibility.

Yes, there is Dr. Ron Paul. But Dr. No is a political aberration. Time and again, he stands alone. He has neither men’s room problems nor woman problems. He doesn’t take congressional retirement. He actually returns "money" (computer entries) to the federal treasury. He proposes abolishing the Fed and the income tax and replacing them with nothing. In foreign affairs he suggests that we mind our own business. Imagine! But, again, he is an aberration.

www.etherzone.com...

Once again, 'Hats off to Ron Paul!'

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 03:31 AM
link   

But now here comes Sheriff Richard Mack, elected and re-elected in Graham County, Arizona, where he served for eight years. During his tenure, three federal agents came to a meeting of Arizona sheriffs and told them in certain terms how they would be dragooned as unpaid federal bureaucrats and administer the new, federal Brady gun registration law.

The law was named of course for Ronald Reagan’s press secretary, who was severely wounded in the immensely suspicious attempt to assassinate the President. Since then, Mrs. Brady has become a leader of the campaign for Nazi gun confiscation. I don’t know whether she was as crazy before the shootings as she is now. Just one more increment of lunacy and they would have to lock her up.

Richard Mack and the other Arizona sheriffs at the meeting rebelled. Sheriff Richard says the language he heard – in which he did not participate – could not be repeated in the presence of genteel Christian ladies, so we can’t tell you here what the sheriffs said. But Sheriff Mack did take the government to court. He sued the United States, and Sheriff Jay Printz of Montana joined him as plaintiff.

On June 27th, 1997, the sheriffs won; in Printz v. U.S. (521 U.S. 898) the U.S. Supreme Court struck Brady down. Associate Justice Antonin Scalia wrote the ruling for the Court, in which he explained our system of government at length. The justly revered system of checks and balances is the key:

www.etherzone.com...

I love a good success story!

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 03:37 AM
link   

What does all this mean today in the Battle for America? Sheriff Mack says it proves that the sheriff is the highest governmental authority in his county. Within that jurisdiction – inside his county – the sheriff has more power than the governor of his state. Indeed, the sheriff has more power in his county than the President of the United States. In his county, he can overrule the President and kick his people out. Remember, the President has few and limited powers.

www.etherzone.com...

I know that I will sleep better, knowing that we have an ace-in-the-hole. Maybe there is still hope. Let's wake up our Sheriffs and make sure they know their capabilities, and what 'we the people' (and the voters) want and expect for our tax dollars, etc.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 03:41 AM
link   
I should print all of this out and throw it in the sheriff's face that I dealt with tonight.

I wonder how this will fly in court.

Just saying, I really do believe some officers of the law will turn their gun on us.
But maybe, just maybe if these keepers of the peace start doing their job, my respect for them will be earned, and not demanded of me.

By the way....
Apparently it's illegal to cuss in the presence of police, and can warrant a nice little charge a tazer, Hence my situation tonight. I didn't even go to jail, or get a charge, those things aren't fun man.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 03:52 AM
link   
reply to post by ThirdJohnAdams

You have my greatest sympathies!

Yes, unfortunately some do abuse their power.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 04:00 AM
link   
reply to post by sizzle

All this info would be helpful provided your local sheriff is on the up and up, not into corruption, but from what I have seen and read, it is possible that more corruption exists in your small town sheriff's dept than will ever be exposed, and may limit what they would actualy do for their citizens. However, I had an experience in Tenn, shelby county, the sheriff's dept used $$ from the benevolence fund to pay the balance of a car repair bill, ( unexpected repair, didn't have the funds to complete payment) they also very nicely bought me lunch, dinner, and a tank of gas, plus gave me extra $$ for gas to make it all the way home. Gotta give them thanks for that. But in GA and ALA it is well known that corruption runs rampant.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join