It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"They're only in it for the money" - CHALLENGE TO THE SKEPTICS

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 12:42 PM
link   
One of the most frequent ad hominem attacks one comes across is the accusation that "they're only in it for the money".

So my challenge is simple: I'd like to offer ONE MILLION POUNDS* to any skeptic who can prove that ANY contactee has EVER got rich from being a contactee.

I will, of course, require proof... and you can bet I'll be looking at the submissions just as skeptically as any debunker looks at the latest YouTube OMGOMGAliens!!!! video.

Any takers?

*Monopoly money only; available only in certain areas and not to employees, relatives, proxies, lawyers and posters at AboveTopSecret.com: terms and restrictions apply within 4 lightyears of Earth

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Do you have to be a Skeptic to Win ?

i am a believer and i will cast my vote towards Billy Meier being a contactee that has gotten Rich from his Adventure story

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by rich23

i wouldnt say money is the prime motivation for all contactee claims. I think most are looking for attention.

theres dr greer who claims to have met 12 inch tall ETs. He sells books and stuff and charges $800 a time for his services.

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 01:23 PM
link   
In Fire in the Sky Travis Walton relates in his own words the best documented account of alien abduction yet recorded, the story of his harrowing ordeal at the hands of silent captors and his return to a disbelieving world of hostile interrogators, exploitative press and self-styled "debunkers." Travis recounts the struggle to get a fair hearing, and confronts his detractors with a stinging rebuttal.

Book...Fire In the Sky

later this was made into a motion picture:

Fire in the Sky Movie

Travis stood to make a few bucks from this story...see wikipedia:

Wikipedia On Travis

Gross revenue $20,100,000

I take cash or cheque

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Ellirium113

Ah, but what did Travis himself make?
...Is the question I must ask so that there is a second line.

[edit on 28-3-2009 by Malcram]

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Im not a skeptic, but I would love to throw in the name Whitley Strieber who capitilized on his contact by writing numerous books about his experiences.

He is a contactee who has gotten rich because of his contact......

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Well that would be tough to answer due to the fact people still buy his books and movie to this day and it is not an amount that is disclosed to the public. You did not specify how much money was required to be made only that they did it for money which is pretty much proven.

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 01:42 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ellirium113
Well that would be tough to answer due to the fact people still buy his books and movie to this day and it is not an amount that is disclosed to the public. You did not specify how much money was required to be made only that they did it for money which is pretty much proven.

LOL We need proof he got rich, not speculation. They question was regarding who got "rich", not who maybe made some money. Sorry, no cigar (damn I've waited a long time to get to say that, you know, see how the other half live? LOL) Don't give him the money Rich!

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by ptaah
no1 likes skeptics
if i ever become president ill kill all the skeptics

You know, somehow, I don't see you becoming president.

So I think skeptics can sleep easy.

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Although not a true skeptic or believer, I'd suggest Whitley Strieber. He was a 'contactee' in 1985 during the Hudson Valley UFO flap.(thread)

We could get all pedantic and notice that he'd sold books before the incident, however his name is very much attached to the book Communion.

All told, there are very few people making money from claiming to be abducted. Some might like attention and others seek some form of fame or longevity. Maybe some are being honest. Who knows?

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 01:55 PM
link   

LOL We need proof he got rich, not speculation. They question was regarding who got "rich", not who maybe made some money. Sorry, no cigar (damn I've waited a long time to get to say that, you know, see how the other half live? LOL) Don't give him the money Rich!

You must define "RICH". This game is can't be played if the rules are not known...otherwise the rules can change dynamically and become unfair to contestants.

I concede on the basis I do not know if he actually is now financially independant or not. May someone else have better luck winning the monopoly money jackpot.

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 01:59 PM
link   
You know I don't think (genuine) contactees or abductees would make much money from their experiences.

It's the charlatans who either take advantage of these people or fake their own experience themselves that make the dollars.

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 02:05 PM
link   

You must define "RICH". This game is can't be played if the rules are not known...otherwise the rules can change dynamically and become unfair to contestants.

Ah, this dilemma reminds me of how the "extraordinary evidence" (of "extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence" fame) remains undefined. Although I have worked out a definition based on experience:

"Extraordinary evidence". The evidence required to prove the ETH. An undefined, arbitrary and ever shifting level of evidence. Generally deemed to be whatever evidence those requiring it think you cannot provide. If you do provide it, "extraordinary evidence" will then immediately be redefined to exclude this new evidence."

I feel your pain Ellirium.

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 03:18 PM
link   
No, you don't have to be a skeptic to win.

You just have to provide PROOF.

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Ellirium113

Gross revenue $20m? Minus production costs? Minus studio cut? Doesn't sound like much of a moneyspinner to me.

So... where's the PROOF? Remember, I'm going to be just as much of a hard*** as any skeptic on a UFO thread.

Not good enough.

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by gimme_some_truth

Whitley Streiber was a successful author BEFORE he came out as a contactee.

WHEW! That was close!

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Sorry, got to call you on the logic here. Did WHAT, exactly, for the money? Tell his story? Or fake his experiences? And I don't think it's proven at all. Where's he living now? Is he in a fine house in Beverly Hills?

Come on... I want to see some real proof here. Don't get whiny if I ask for the same standard of proof skeptics always insist on in contact cases. Hearsay, circumstantial evidence... not good enough.

I have to sneakingly admit this is fun... hope no-one's taking this TOO seriously...

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Malcram

Ah, this dilemma reminds me of how the "extraordinary evidence" ... etc.

I feel your pain Ellirium.

You got a star from me for that answer!

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 04:19 PM
link   

It is not speculation that Whitley strieber has made money off of his books telling about his contact experience.

It is naive to think that a person who has been on the ny times best seller list numerous times and has written LOTS of books and sold millions world wide does not have money...

No I do not know the exact dollar amount that he is worth, but using common sense I am sure you will see that he is not suffering.... he is not living from paycheck to paycheck.

The man owns an apartment in NY and cabin ou tin the country.

The man is rich and that is not speculation. I garuntee he has made a nice some of money for writing all those books, selling millions, giving speeches, making appearances on televison and radio, etc.... DO you think he had to pay out of his own wallet for that or do you think he was payed by others for it?

Besides, how do you expect me to tell you the exact amount an private citizen is worth? Just use your common sense and understand that he is rich... Please.

[edit on 28-3-2009 by gimme_some_truth]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join