It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Am I Alone In Hating Facebook?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 04:29 AM
link   
The title says it all really.

Am I?

Most of my friends and now even my parents are part of this evil website. This afternoon my girlfriend comes home and says " Is your ex-girlfriend's last name xxxxxx? Your friend and her were talking about you today". So now my current girlfriend is reading things said about me by my ex on a website I'm not a part of and can't stand!

Great.

Should I just break down and join ala Pooky (Chris Rock) on New Jack City?

Please A.T.S. I need some support.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 04:38 AM
link   
Your really not alone at all my friend.
I can't stand facebook or myspace.

It seems as if everyone has hopped on the bandwagon though. Personally I think these two sites might be major fronts for a NWO Agenda, on an extreme paranoia view of things.

But seriously, if I haven't had a myspace for so long, and had so many friends and other people on there whom I couldn't normally talk to, mine would be deleted asap.

I don't trust the either of em.

If you upload pictures to myspace, they become property of myspace, and can be used for anything. Not to mention the fact that I was interviewed by some detectives a good year or two ago, and I kid you not, they had at least 100 pages of messages, pictures, and comments from my myspace, trying to threaten me with the content. It was ridiculous.

Ticked me off just remembering that whole situation.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 04:41 AM
link   
No, your not alone.

FaceBook gives people a false sense of security. people post almost every piece of personal information possible. they post their full names, hobby's, work and on one site i saw they even posted their address!
The false sense of security makes people think there will be no repercussions from this.

There is also another website called twitter where people post just as much information about themselves and they also post what they've done during the day, what they're currently doing and what they're plans are for the rest of the day.

So no, you're not alone with hating facebook.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 04:44 AM
link   
Hate it. I have an account and honestly can't figure out how to use the damned thing. Besides, if I want someone to know what I'm doing, then they know, otherwise, the world doesn't need to know.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 04:50 AM
link   
You two are right on the money.

Perhaps I value my privacy.

Perhaps I refuse to follow this mind numbing piece of popular culture.

Perhaps it's just the conspiracy theorist in me.

In any case, I actually feel better to see other members quickly respond in my favour.

Thanks!

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 04:58 AM
link   
Hi there, I signed in with a fake name, and found my sister and a couple of friends I was looking for, so for me it has been a good thing so far, I only have 8 friends that I keep in touch with on a dayly basis, but I do hate it and see how it can be used negatively, I much prefer my addiction to ATS, I am an ATS snob.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 05:04 AM
link   
I made a thread about this a while ago if you are interested in having a look at my point of view about Facebook

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Like the above poster, I have a fake name to keep track of what my friends are up to.

[edit on 17-3-2009 by dodgygeeza]

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 05:05 AM
link   
People moan and groan about privacy issues every single day. "Oh we are being filmed, there is a camera up my 888. Im being watched all the time!!"

Well why would anyone want to dump all their dirty laundry onto a website seen by all when in the background they want privacy???

It does not make any sense, never has and never will.

You might as well hold up a big neon sign every day flashing all your personal information and faults. It is no different from these types of websites.

As far as any advice about the problem...not much advice can be given. Once you get tied in any shape or form to those sites, either through your own actions or someone elses, it is pretty much a done deal.

I suggest finding a new GF, if the current one wants to focus on gossip and not who you are as a person, perhaps its best to let that one live in that virtual world while you go live in the real world.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 05:12 AM
link   
Nope , your not alone, I hate and detest it too.
We have people here in our office that use it ( a lot ) and they update it every five minutes with things they are supposed to be doing .

They giggle and s'n-word' about someone else on facebook like some sort of immature child whos told a lie to get a cookie.
Its infuriating.
Oh and who needs a global database on people when they're eager to join facebook and put all the details on that?.

Muppets the lot of them.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 05:17 AM
link   
reply to post by OZtracized

I with you on this one. No privacy. I hate those sites.

Then you go out with people who insist on documenting the entire night...ever part, and where does it end up? For the entire world to see. Sometime I just want memories, not millions of pictures and videos of it online as well.

Just my opinion.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 05:20 AM
link   
Hey Geeza, I just read your post. Of course whether this is actually happening or not is debatable but it sure makes a very convenient and already set up database should certain parties ever need it.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 05:25 AM
link   
Why would you put pictures of your self and information on the internet for anybody to see. Dont forget that employers check up on their employees on those sites.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 05:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by OZtracized
Hey Geeza, I just read your post. Of course whether this is actually happening or not is debatable but it sure makes a very convenient and already set up database should certain parties ever need it.

I suppose all so-called enemies of the state will be identified through sources such as facebook. Various groups such as "I hate Gordon Brown" for example will list the names of potential unlawful combatants to be rounded up and placed in detention centres (hypothetical)

If we lived in a world where everyone was kind and all politicians were incorruptible and trustworthy it wouldn't be an issue. The Nazi dictatorship grew around people like you and me in a "civilized society".

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 06:35 AM
link   
On the plus side our company has a presence and it seems to help loads. Lots of referrals. Were actually hiring 10-20 people a week. Were the worlds largest in our field and the recession seems to be falling behind.

mikell

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 06:39 AM
link   
ill join the haters.

facebook is a site i absolutely despise! in every shape and form. The site is just one massive spy camera into the life of everyone. I have myspace from when it first came out but i dont do much their, its just for my music. Facebook is a complete no no .. like everyone else, i like my privicy.

twitter, now, that aint so bad, no real personal info is need , its just wee messages
.. ive been getting into twitter lately.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 10:39 AM
link   
I hate facebook, I went on it once and just saw wanabee bad boys and girls who think its cool to be gangster rappers. Its a website asking to breed fanatics and extremists and really can not be bothered with that crowd. I know youtube springs the fanatics and suicides but its not as personal as facebook where its all linked like a big social gathering.

The website is prone to computer virus attacks and hacks and you wonder why. I prefer to avoid it.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Facebook is not that bad, and I don't think it's wise to judge all people who go on there and call them muppets. That's just silly.

One positive thing about facebook, is being able to find long lost friends or even family simply by typing in their name.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Facebook, myspace and that ilk is an evil conspiracy to list us all and give out all of our information to the sick and twisted elite.

I lothe facebook and... Oh someone just wrote on my wall...

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 11:25 AM
link   
I have had a life long attraction to the underground... And those sites are on in the mainstream. IMO when myspce popped up on the internet and then facebook, it was a sign of great negative change. I've wandering these pseudo planes for some time now.

It wasn't cool when I started, and people actually respected one another for the most part. Now that it's all become common place, the fun is dwindling. I mean dang, there are whole communities of trolls now. At one time, to be labled a troll was like getting the black dot.

Nothing lasts forever though... and there are places where the old school flavor is still at the tip of the tongue. So to sum it up... I don't like it, I don't like it at all.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 05:54 PM
link   
WOW...is there anyone who doesn't hate them?

I'm gonna have to side with the people who do like these sites...or at least Facebook. I don't have a Myspace account anymore.

For all of you that say I'm broadcasting my personal info to people I don't even know, think again. It makes me wonder if you even know whats going on in sites such as these. People can't just type in your name and find out every little thing about you. Well I guess they could, but you have to ADD THEM AS A FRIEND FIRST! And I, for one, do not add people as friends unless I actually know them in real life. Then once they are "friended" they can see select information which you wish to post on said site.

Seriously...calm down people. You sound like my parents.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join