It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Borat' star fools Ala. National Guard into training stint

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 07:19 PM
link   

'Borat' star fools Ala. National Guard into training stint

www.usatoday.com

ANNISTON, Ala. (AP) — Alabama National Guard officials say the actor best known as Borat posed as a German journalist and tricked them into giving him a uniform and briefly allowing him to go through training.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Wow!! How secure does this make you feel ?

How could this even happen ?
What if he and crew were part of a terrorist org.?

Is this the Power of Journalism ??
They claim to be... so they must be.

Would this happen in other countries ? I think the odds are slim to none on that.

Are we being protected at all?

Maybe our troops are over worked and just too tired to follow
through with thorough Military Protocol.

www.usatoday.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Well i have to give a plus for Sascha B Cohen. He has done so many stunts like this as Ali G character. He fooled many people in high positions many times, it's what he is all about... FB--I!

On how safe some must feel, i don't know. I guess not any of us are safe from anything these days. But playing an Arab and getting this right

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 07:45 PM
link   
This is freakin insane. Now this will not happen anymore, but previously I could have shown up at a base with a camera and an accent and start drills???

I'm sure they had to do paperwork and get permission, but since he is neither a reporter, nor from Germany, apparantly they did not check very well!!!

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by azureskys

What are you ranting on about?

They thought he was a journalist, so what? Military bases don't allow just anyone on it. He would have set up an appointment with the base to do his "journalist piece". And as such, Sacha and his crew would be checked in through a checkpoint before he got anywhere. The military wouldn't give up secrets to visitors, especially to one whom they thought, a random foreign journalist.

So he showed up as a German Journalist, and convinced them to run a bit of training with him. You don't have to be born in the USA to join the military and get the full, real training.

Not to mention they allowed him to keep his film after they found out.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 07:59 PM
link   
I don't know how this is a bad case scenario for ALA, it was planned. Here are interviews he has done. On 90% of these he made fools of these people. On many occasions while watching his show i truly felt "embarrassed" in the manner he raises or answers questions, or what he does to get interviews! This is what he is good at by showing the world that even famous/great names will make their name poo..

* astronaut Buzz Aldrin
* politician Ralph Nader
* writer Gore Vidal
* real estate mogul Donald Trump, who walked out after about 60 seconds
* former U.S. Surgeon General C. Everett Koop
* basketball player Shaquille O'Neal
* former U.S. Secretary of State James Baker III
* businessman and billionaire Mohamed Al-Fayed
* former U.S. Speaker of the House Newt Gingrich
* political commentator Pat Buchanan
* Professor Noam Chomsky
* footballer David Beckham and his wife, ex-Spice Girl Victoria Beckham for the UK's Comic Relief.
* former UN Secretary-General Boutros Boutros-Ghali (whom Baron Cohen, in his Ali G character, referred to as 'Boutros Boutros Boutros-Ghali')
* former Conservative Party MP Neil Hamilton
* journalist Andy Rooney
* Labour politician Tony Benn

Source

[edit on 3/16/2009 by qonone]

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Hah!

He wasn't posing as a German, he was in character as the gay Austrian Journalist, Bruno. Probably shooting bits for his upcoming movie of the same name. Leave it to us Americans to mistake an Englishman posing as an Austrian for a German!

This is not the first time he's caused an outroar as this character either, if anyone recalls the cage-fighting incident a few months back.

Sasha Baron Cohen is a genius. Looking forward to the movie even more now.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Neaux

post by Neaux
"They thought he was a journalist, so what? Military bases don't allow just anyone on it."

Aparently they Do allow just anyone in !
He wasn't who he said he was and was cleared by sombody ! Or was he ?

No one should be allowed on/into any Military instalation without proper identification and clearance.
How is it that you see this as an OK situation ??
Do you not understand the ramifications of not using Proper Protocol on a Military Base ??

They were Tricked
They were sloppy and this sloppiness poses a danger to all.

I did not make any reference to giving up secrets or to being born in the U.S. to join the Military. Why do you "assume" I think this ?

I am concerned about Terrorism.
Now someone else may try this who are terrorists and well.. do what they do so well.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 11:14 PM
link   
The guy is an amazing actor. No one else could get away with half the stunts he does. I've seem him get into so many back stage type areas that this doesn't even surprise me

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by azureskys

This wasn't on a base, it was at a NG training center.

The majority of these place you can walk right in and have a look around.

Go ahead, look up your nearest NG drill hall and take a trip. You will be able to walk right in.

I'm interested in what type of drills he participated in. They were probably practicing D&C.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 11:24 PM
link   
I am sure the Guard is in on the stunt. I work on a military base and it is very hard to get on one. They had to have known.

join