It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Leatherman EDC

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 12:30 AM
link   
Hi ATS survivalist I am new to ATS and was wondering how many would use a full Leatherman EDC if not what other company would u use for your basic EDC tools.

[edit on 14-3-2009 by SimpleKnowledge]

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 12:47 AM
link   
reply to post by SimpleKnowledge

First of all, welcome aboard. It doesn't matter what brand as long as it is good quality. Yes i have a leatherman and it's very handy.

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 12:59 AM
link   
Ya i guess i don't a full Leatherman EDC but it sure would be awesome

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 01:06 AM
link   
I have had two of the original Leatherman's and one Leatherman Micro. Quality made tools, but I do not care for the fact that the tools do not lock into position. Nor do I care for the open grip while using the needlenose pliers digging in my hand. Those design flaws may have been fixed in newer designs.

What I do have is the Craftsman's Multi-tool. I really like that one. It has a variety of more tools and they do lock into position. I am not for sure if it is still for sale, which pretty much kills the Craftsman lifetime warranty. Might have to make a trip into Sears or one of their hardware stores to find out.

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 01:36 AM
link   
Never heard of the Craftsman's Multi-tool just goggled it. Seems just as good as the Victorinox if not better for the price with pliers maybe more piratical thanks.

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 02:25 AM
link   
reply to post by SimpleKnowledge

Yeah, they are normal slip-joint pliers. That was the initial attraction. The rough cut wood saw works well if you keep the size of what you cut in mind. Good for support poles. The wood chisel makes notching branches at a tie point for stability a breeze. My only real complaint is the knife blade as I am not a fan of hat serrated blades, space is a premium, I suppose. The awl has bladed edge which is nice. Or as I like to call it, the squirrel zipper.

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 02:27 AM
link   
I like my Gerber multitool a lot - it's lasted a long time, and I've abused the hell out of it.

I may have to get a new one at some point, but the one I've got just doesn't want to give up the ghost...

I like Gerber tools, knives, axes - they've never let me down yet.

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 02:58 AM
link   
I heard Gerber tools are good too though I feel if i bought the the hatchet or ax and used them on a 6+ inch tree they might crack or the blade would fallout.I am thinking of getting the clutch for my psk and maybe a folding saw for my bob

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 04:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by SimpleKnowledge
Hi ATS survivalist I am new to ATS and was wondering how many would use a full Leatherman EDC if not what other company would u use for your basic EDC tools.

[edit on 14-3-2009 by SimpleKnowledge]

Hi and welcome, My EDC revolves around a multi tool, in my case its normally a Gerber Multi Plier , thats the slide out plier head rather than the folding out head. I have a Leatherman Wave and a Gerber Legend but only use them for pottering about with not EDC or Bug Out Kits, primarily because both the wave and legends have bad design faults. such as the tools being held in place simply by a spring piece of the handle (a bit of bent steel) is all that secures them, and on both a wave and legend I have seen them snap off rendering the tool useless. The Wave is even worse because its put together with torx splus security screws which makes it almost impossible to strip and clean properly. Where as the Multi plier is simply held by easy to remove/ replace allan head bolts.

My other primary tools are a Cold steel, or Blade Tech folding knife, Inova X 5 or similar LED flashlight,lighter, shades, paracord, sharpie, bandana, wallet, compass etc.
Respects
NR

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 04:24 AM
link   
N R what about the Leatherman TTI for a bob, is it overkill for EDC?
I suppose the TTI could just be plain overkill.

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 04:30 AM
link   

N R what about the Leatherman TTI for a bob, is it overkill for EDC?
I suppose the TTI could just be plain overkill.

No Sir, Its simply down to personal preference and affordability, If that tool suits your needs, fits comfortably both in your hand and on your belt, has the type of tools in it you want, and you can afford it, then buy it.

A lot of us who wear multi tools, knives , flashlights etc all day get fed up with constantly having to hitch up our pants, so if you can get something in Titanium which is lighter and stronger than steel, then you win.

Just be sensible, if you buy a tool with wierd and wonderful screw fastening, or even riveted, then modify it so you can field strip and clean it.

I had a Victorinox multi tool for a while, A beautiful piece of expensive polished stainless steel, but the thing weighed a ton and never sat comfortable on my hip so I stopped carrying it, which defeats the object of having it.

What I really want now BIG STYLE is that absolutely neat little beast of a tool the Gerber Artifact, but they are almost impossible to find at sensible prices in the UK at the moment. An absolutely brilliant but simple design that renders a certain other micro tool manufacturer obsolete overnight.

Respects NR

[edit on 14-3-2009 by Northern Raider]

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 04:57 AM
link   
Yeah I guess the reason i would think of getting TTI is I see a videos on YT
were guys always take extra folders and like 2 mini multi tools hiking instead
of one that is really good or the best i guess it depends on preference .

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 05:15 AM
link   
Thanks for the link what is the name of that knife.I might just
end up going with light weight tool I know there are a lot of
wallet tools I guess that's why i don't know if smaller tools will give me much more capabilities.

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 06:07 AM
link   

Thanks for the link what is the name of that knife.I might just
end up going with light weight tool I know there are a lot of
wallet tools I guess that's why i don't know if smaller tools will give me much more capabilities.

What Knife ? Do you mean my EDC knives ?
If so its my Cold Steel Large Voyager Tanto,or
My Cold steel Extra Large Voyager Tanto, Or my Cold Steel large voyager clip point, or my Blade Tech Hunter Lite.

For heavy duty tasks I have a Cold Steel Ultimate Hunter Folder which is a beast of a tool.

I also tend to have something like a Spyderco Meerkat or a Blade Tech Mouse Lite to hand as well.
Plus credit card tool in my wallet.

Lots of folk like Benchmade Griptilians, but I dont like the lock mechanism as it clogs all to easy with fish scales, rabbit fur etc when you are guting and cleaning game. They are good duty knives for city use.

Link to flickr showing some images of my EDC

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 06:47 AM
link   
Gerber Slide-Lock Multi-Tool. Mine is about 12 years old. I'd love to replace it but it works too well and I can't justify a new one. It looks like the case for it is going to wear out long before it does.

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 08:50 AM
link   
I carry a Leatherman CORE now. We have issued the Leatherman's to staff at the power plant for about 10 years and they have held up very well being used every day. This is not for heavy maintenance mind you but light duty work. I have used it to dress out a deer however it is a pain to get clean after the fact. That said I had no trouble splitting open the rib cage with it. I also carry a Leatherman Micro for small tasks.

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Once I bought my leatherman I've never worn pants without it. What makes it special isn't necessary that it's quality which it is, but the fact that you have it with you when you unexpedly need it.

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne
I like my Gerber multitool a lot - it's lasted a long time, and I've abused the hell out of it.

I may have to get a new one at some point, but the one I've got just doesn't want to give up the ghost...

Gerber does make awesome tools, but most of the time you can get good quality for a lot cheaper. Although i still want a Gerber mark II combat knife. Those things are the s%*t but hard to find anymore.

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anuubis

Originally posted by WyrdeOne

Gerber does make awesome tools, but most of the time you can get good quality for a lot cheaper. Although i still want a Gerber mark II combat knife. Those things are the s%*t but hard to find anymore.

If the Mk 2 is the shorter version and you cant find one,you may wish to consider the CRKT version of the A G RUSSELL Sting 1 A, its a beautiful one piece forged blade with black nitrided coating

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Hey I just did a google to familiarise myself with this blade and according to it the mk 2 has been made again since Oct 08 according to Tactical Knife Magazine , maybe you can still get one ?

In fact Amazon US has one for sale

www.amazon.com...

Actually they have 22 according to the web page

top topics

<<   2 >>

join