It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Best UFO Case Ever! JAL Flight 1628 Over Alaska

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+15 more 
posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 11:45 AM
link   

You be the judge.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/3b1e48a60c7f.jpg[/atsimg]

Japanese Airline 1628 Encounters UFO

It was just a routine flight. Well, not exactly routine... It was a special Japan Air Lines 747 cargo flight to carry a load of French wine from Paris to Tokyo. The flight plan would carry flight 1628 from Paris to Reykjavik, Iceland, across the North Atlantic and Greenland, then across Canada to Anchorage, Alaska, and finally across the Pacific to Tokyo.

The crew consisted of veteran Captain Kenju Terauchi, co-pilot Takanori Tamefuji, and flight engineer Yoshio Tsukuba.

On November 16, 1986, laden with wine, JAL1628 took off from Paris and flew the first leg of the trip, to Reykjavik. The next day, they continued, flying over Greenland and then across northern Canada without event.

Just after they crossed into Alaska, at 5:09 PM local time, Anchorage Air Traffic Control contacted them on the radio to report initial radar contact. The Anchorage flight controller asked them to turn 15 degrees to the left and head for a point known as Talkeetna on a heading of 215 degrees. They were at 35,000 feet and traveling at a ground speed of about 600 mph.

At about 5:11 PM local time, Captain Terauchi noticed the lights of some sort of aircraft about 2000 feet below and 30 degrees to the left front of them. He decided that the aircraft was probably an American jet fighter from nearby Eielson or Elmendorf Air Force Bases patrolling Alaskan airspace, so he ignored them at first. However, after a few minutes, he noticed that the lights were keeping pace with his own aircraft, which would be an unusual thing for patrolling jets to do.

JAL Flight 1628 Over Alaska

In November, 1986, a Japanese crew of a jumbo freighter aircraft witnessed three unidentified objects while flying over Alaska, USA. This sighting gained international attention when the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) announced that it was going to officially investigate this sighting because the Air Route Traffic Control Center in Anchorage, Alaska, had reported that the UFO had been detected on radar. Captain Terauchi was featured on numerous radio and TV programs and in People Magazine. Within a few months of these events he was grounded, apparently for his indiscretion of reporting a UFO, even though he was a senior captain with an excellent flying record. Several years later he was reinstated. The UFOs in this case were tracked on both ground and airborne radar, witnessed by experienced airline pilots, and confirmed by a FAA Division Chief.

I know it has been covered here at ATS before but this case needs to be dealt with!

This case has always peaked my curiosity because it was actually investigated by the FAA I'm going to load a YouTube Video which has actual audio recordings of the incident. One of the things that stands out is the description of the size of the larger of the three crafts as being roughly twice the size of an American Aircraft carrier. It sure dwarfed the 747 Cargo plane!

What really gets my blood going about this case is that they have multiple radar locks and the Pilot is confirming what they register on Radar and he describes what he seeing and people still don't believe this was real.

My argument for this is this. A qualified pilots description and many qualified radar locks from multiple locations! Debunk That! Swamp gas and Venus don't pace Jumbo Jets!

Hey people if they are real and can launch something that big I think maybe we should not be trying to buzz them with our fighters. Just a thought

Skip to 2:10

So then we have the follow up carried by the NY times and notice how their version is all misleading and the description is way off. It hardly sounds like the same story heck if I read this version of the event I would think the pilot was a Kook.

F.A.A. PRESSES INVESTIGATION OF LIGHTS SEEN OVER ALASKA

LEAD: The Federal Aviation Administration has stepped up its investigation of wavering lights that a pilot of a Japan Air Lines cargo jet said followed his plane over Alaska for nearly an hour in November, an official said today.

The Federal Aviation Administration has stepped up its investigation of wavering lights that a pilot of a Japan Air Lines cargo jet said followed his plane over Alaska for nearly an hour in November, an official said today.

''We're looking at it to insure that somebody didn't violate airspace we control,'' said Paul Steucke, a spokesman for the aviation agency. ''We looked at it about six weeks ago but since then we've gotten a lot of public interest, so we went back and reinterviewed the pilot.''

The pilot, Kenji Terauchi, told investigators that two of the lights were small, perhaps no larger than eight feet across. He said the third light, which was larger, appeared to be on an aircraft, Mr. Steucke said.

Mr. Terauchi said the unidentified objects showed up on the plane's weather radar. But images on military radar screens at the time were dismissed as clutter, and an object that showed up on the aviation agency's screens was thought to be a coincidental split image of the aircraft, Mr. Steucke said. Tapes Will Be Analyzed

You be the judge.

[edit on 11-3-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Nope . sorry. Not the best UFO case ever. Not even close. Well put together though, and good presentation.

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by NightVision

OK
I'm open for a debate.
In your opinion which is the best? Please provide some links and a brief description.

Thanks in advance

Slay

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Yes good post - very intriguing case

Heres what senior FAA Official John Callaghan had to say about the
Alaska Flight JAL 1628 Incident:

www.youtube.com...

More comprehensive information:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

As for manipulative disinformation,precision propaganda and editorial censorship of the UFO/OVNI/USO subject in the corporate news media -Journalist Terry Hansen makes some very good points in this presentation:

"A mesmerizing account of his investigation into whether some of America's most influential news organizations, many having maintained close ties to the U.S. intelligence community, have willingly suppressed full and accurate news coverage of extraterrestrial related phenomena for a variety of "national-security" reasons.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Cheers

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 12:23 PM
link   
The summary of the communication between JAL Captain Terauchi and ground controllers was published by the Federal Aviation Administration:

6:19 PM local time: The pilot of JL1628 requested traffic information from the ZAN (FAA Air Route Traffic Control Center, Anchorage) Sector 15 controller.

6:26 PM: ZAN contacted the Military Regional Operations Control Center (ROCC), and asked if they were receiving any radar returns near the position of JL1628. The ROCC advised that they were receiving a primary radar return in JL1628's 10 o'clock (left-front) position at 8 miles [13 km.].

6:27 PM: The ROCC contacted ZAN to advise they were no longer receiving any radar returns in the vicinity of JL1628.

6:31 PM: JL1628 advised that the 'plane' was 'quite big,' at which time the ZAN controller approved any course deviations needed to avoid the traffic.

6:32 PM: JL1628 requested and received a descent from FL350 to FL310 (flight level 350 and 310, meaning altitude of 35,000 and 31,000 feet, or 10,500 m. and 9,500 m.). When asked if the traffic was descending also, the pilot stated it was descending 'in formation.'

6:35 PM: JL1628 requested and received a heading change to two one zero (210 degrees, or southwest). The aircraft was now in the vicinity of Fairbanks and ZAN contacted Fairbanks Approach Control asking if they had any radar returns near JL1628's position. The Fairbanks Controller advised they did not.

6:36 PM: JL1628 was issued a 360 degree turn and asked to inform ZAN if the traffic stayed with them.

6:38 PM: The ROCC called ZAN advising they had confirmed a 'flight of two' in JL1628's position. They advised they had some 'other equipment watching this,' and one was a primary target only.

6:39 PM: JL1628 told ZAN they no longer had the traffic in sight.

6:42 PM: The ROCC advised it looked as though the traffic had dropped back and to the right of JL1628, however, they were no longer tracking it.

6:44 PM: JL1628 advised the traffic was now at 9 o'clock (left).

6:45 PM: ZAN issued a 10 degree turn to a northbound United Airlines flight, after pilot concurrence, in an attempt to confirm the traffic.

6:48 PM: JL1628 told ZAN the traffic was now at 7 o'clock (left rear), 8 miles [13 km.].

6:50 PM: The northbound United flight advised they had the Japan Airlines flight in sight, against a light background, and could not see any other traffic.

6:53 PM: JL1628 advised that they no longer had contact with the traffic." 2

linky

[edit on 11-3-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Slay, in my humble opinion this IS the best case ever, but i'm open to debate too
And karl, thank you, I feel honored you linked my thread

Alaska's 1986 UFO sighting still rouses curiosity
KTUU Channel 2 News (Alaska), November 8, 2002

Disclosure Project: Testimony of John Callahan, Former FAA Division Chief
Disclosure Project Briefing Document - Executive Summary

FAA investigates JAL Flight 1628 UFO Sighting
Associated Press, 1986

Statement of Captain Terauchi, Pilot of JAL Flight 1628

UFO FILES: Black Box UFO Secrets (.PDF)
Wednesday, 11th August, 2006

Video: John Callahan, Former FAA Division Chief, dicusses JAL Flight 1628
UFO Symposium at The George Washington University, 2002

Courtesy: Bruce Maccabee

Courtesy: JeromeProphet

www.ufodata.co.uk...
brumac.8k.com...
jeromeprophet.blogspot.com...
www.ufoevidence.org...
www.ufocasebook.com...
www.ufocasebook.com...

The attempts to debunk this case failed, there's not much else to say: when someone claims that this was Jupiter, or swamp gas

may have two purposes: to get ridiculous or to get ridiculous. This is one of the most puzzling and well documented cases, and while human eyes may get deceived, radars CANNOT. In a scale from zero to ten i would give to this case a nine, just one point less because of the absence of some direct visual evidence, like a picture or a video, but in general this can be called a top class case, something worthy to be studied, debated and used as example of REAL UFO sighting.

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by internos

Awesome reply and thanks I was working on linking about half of the sources you did

Also I was just in the prosses of uploading some pics to the media center and getting ready for posting some of them.
Thanks for saving me the leg work.

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by karl 12

Thanks for the links I was uploading that video so I could embed it into the thread well here it is for those who were too lazy to have clicked on the link provided by karl

FAA Official

(click to open player in new window)

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 01:03 PM
link   
i've never heard of this case before but it sounds like it's about as authentic as it gets. Main craft the size fo two aircraft carriers.. WOW....

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Nice thread
It's one of the few incidents that have supporting evidence to back up the witnesses. No matter the pedigree of the witness, it's all just hearsay and boils down to how much credibility we give to the account. By adding other independent corroboration it gains credibility. It's a very interesting incident and thought-provoking.

Unfortunately for me, I can't add anything more than appreciation for the thread. You, Karl12 and Internos have already posted everything
I've found a photo of the pilot...it's all I can contribute to the thread...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/2aec3163329b.jpg[/atsimg]

and another short video documentary...

Good work

[edit on 11-3-2009 by Kandinsky]

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Kandinsky

Hey thanks every little bit will help.
Also I have that picture of him but not the video. I left the pic out because well he didnt look like his cheese was still on the cracker in that one.

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by karl 12

As for manipulative disinformation,precision propaganda and editorial censorship of the UFO/OVNI/USO subject in the corporate news media -Journalist Terry Hansen makes some very good points in this presentation:

"A mesmerizing account of his investigation into whether some of America's most influential news organizations, many having maintained close ties to the U.S. intelligence community, have willingly suppressed full and accurate news coverage of extraterrestrial related phenomena for a variety of "national-security" reasons.

Cheers

With all the new links provided by everybody I forgot that's one of the things that really gets under my skin with all the high quality evidence you would think they could get the story right and present it properly but no.

This is the NY times now like I'm going to trust them to get other things right like their financial section

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 05:08 PM
link   
I don't think a FAA Head of Accidents and Investigations even exists. Unless I'm blind and I cant see it on the website, or a name change took place.

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
I left the pic out because well he didnt look like his cheese was still on the cracker in that one.

We can only hope it was taken after the flight. Maybe he needed a stiffener after the event?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c62ea3cfc24d.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 05:35 PM
link   
An awsome presentation of a very little known case in this subject.

Well done Slayer for all your hard ground work

And yourself Internos!

If I could give you guys 20 Stars & Flags I would.

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 05:43 PM
link   
I agree this is a Brilliant case, in fact I saw a history channel show not long ago, called Black Box? about this case and many many more just like it, which had things happen to the files on them from the FAA.

This case was followed up about two weeks later if I remember right, a USAF Tanker, had the very same thing happen to them, same description of the Craft, and also recorded by ATC, they even mention the JAL incident directly in the ATC recording.

I am not sure if the show is available to download or watch online, if I come across the link I shall post it, or if anyone else knows where it can be watched, that would be great.

I am sure it was the History channel, or National Geographic, Discovery, one of those, it was on no more than 10 days ago, and was called Black Box, or something very close, it covered maybe 7 or 8 cases just like this one, and all backed up with evidence, and witnesses.

Found it, apparently it is from 2007, still very good however and well worth watching.

Google Video Link

I apologise, I didn't see this already posted above, still well worth the watch,

[edit on 11/3/2009 by azzllin]

[edit on 11/3/2009 by azzllin]

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Nice 1 slayer i hadnt heard about that. Did you hear about the channel island incident a couple of years ago?
Another pilot sighting, well two actuallyof the same objects but from different flights in the same area. heres the interview...

Notice how at the end he mentions of the amount of pilots that have sightings but are reluctant to publically disclose them.

[edit on 11/3/09 by cropmuncher]

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Good job on bringing this case to the spotlight again.

Its always intriguing when proffesionals such as pilots and police officers and even military personnel report seeing UFO's or UFO related events

Double thumbs up

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by NightVision
Nope . sorry. Not the best UFO case ever. Not even close. Well put together though, and good presentation.

Please, then give us something better instead of leaving it at that.

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Well I am off to Alaska soon...so i'll certainly be watching those skies!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join