It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China says U.S. naval ship was breaking law: report

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 01:24 AM
link   

China says U.S. naval ship was breaking law: report

www.reuters.com

BEIJING (Reuters) - China accused a U.S. naval ship of carrying out an illegal survey off southern Hainan island, a Hong Kong TV website reported on Tuesday, after the Pentagon said Chinese vessels had harassed the ship in international waters.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 01:24 AM
link   
Kind of curious what, if anything, the pentagon or whoever is going to come back with next. Also kind of curious as to exactly where the ship was, international waters like U.S says, or "China's exclusive economic zone" as "they" (unnamed spokesman) say.

I found it pretty interesting that they mentioned the price of oil more than once in the article. It seemed a little odd, and even in the report it said that this event shouldn't affect the price of oil.

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 01:30 AM
link   
He said, She said, Who struck Paul?
This is all a farce.

Well with all those Chinese sailors running around in their underwear was an awesome display of Chinese Shock and Awe! They almost killed the American sailor with laughter!

Those sneaky Chinese It was all part of their evil plot in seducing the Americans to their wicked ways

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 05:59 AM
link   
WOW CHINESE NAVAL VESSELS HARASS U.S.N. WAR SHIP

Lol..oh common how much crap is the human mind able to handle.

Hey, ive seen some seriously educated people on this site, do these vessels pose any threat to the U.S. ship. But then again i guess they could throw tuna fish at the U.S. soldier and perhaps one tuna might cause life threatening injuries.

[edit on 10-3-2009 by tristar]

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Pimpish

Kind of curious what, if anything, the pentagon or whoever is going to come back with next. Also kind of curious as to exactly where the ship was, international waters like US says, or "China's exclusive economic zone" as "they" (unnamed spokesman) say.

I found it pretty interesting that they mentioned the price of oil more than once in the article. It seemed a little odd, and even in the report it said that this event shouldn't affect the price of oil.

Both the US and the PRC claim 12 nautical miles as their own territorial sea; 24 nautical miles as a contiguous zone whatever that means; and 200 nautical miles as their exclusive economic zone. (Back in the good old days of Prohibition [1920-1933] the claim was just 3 miles). Aside: a statute mile is 5,280 feet, while a nautical mile is 6,080 feet. 1.1515 X statute miles equals nautical miles. About 230 miles off shore in this instance.

The USNS Impeccable is one of five ocean surveillance ships that serve with the U.S. 7th Fleet, based in Yokosuka, Japan. The ships use low-frequency sound to search for undersea threats including submarines, a U.S. military official said. [See my Note 1, below]

A U.S. Defense Department spokesman said the Chinese vessels had surrounded the Impeccable, waving Chinese flags and telling the U.S. ship to leave. The Pentagon also described accounts of half a dozen other incidents dating back to March 4. Analyst Shi said the seas off Hainan were important to China's projection of its influence with a modern naval fleet.

"The change is in China's attitude. This reflects the hardening line in Chinese foreign policy and the importance we [the US] attach to the strategic value of the South China Sea."
www.reuters.com...

The South China Sea Islands consist of over 250 around 1-km² islands, atolls, cays, shoals, reefs, and sandbars in the South China Sea, many of which are naturally under water at high tide and some of which are permanently submerged.

The Spratly Islands, disputed between the People's Republic of China, the Republic of China, and Vietnam, with Malaysia and the Philippines claiming part of the archipelago also, is the best known. The islands are most likely volcanic in origin. The islands themselves have no indigenous inhabitants, although twenty of the islands, including Itu Aba, the largest, are considered to be able to sustain human life.

Natural resources include fish, guano, undetermined oil and natural gas potential. Economic activity includes commercial fishing, shipping, and tourism. The proximity to nearby oil- and gas-producing sedimentary basins suggests the potential for oil and gas deposits, but the region is largely unexplored, and there are no reliable estimates of potential reserves. Commercial exploitation of hydrocarbons has yet to be developed.
en.wikipedia.org...

I expect the US is running oil and natural gas exploration on the USNS Impeccable which looks to be a catamaran ship. There are rules about that which the US looks to be intentionally ignoring. Noting new about that! But it is a bad attitude when you are having to go abroad with your hat in your hand. To borrow for our PAINLESS recovery.

I don’t like that. To purposely aggravate your competitors. And that for one good reason. It is a good excuse for Chinese hard-liners to build a super carrier which for GOD’s own sake, the world does not need. It’s the goal of the Neo Con warmongers in the Military Industrial Complex that are trying to start a NEW Cold War with somebody, the RF and PRC being the two most like candidates.

I do hope Obama STOPS this unnecessary provocation. ASAP.

Note 1. USNS Impeccable (T-AGOS-23). United States Naval Ship or USNS is the prefix designation given to non-commissioned ships of the United States Navy. These are usually auxiliary support vessels that are in service, but are crewed by civilians (either as direct employees of the Department of the Navy, or as employees of a firm which contracts to the USN). en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 3/10/2009 by donwhite]

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 09:53 AM
link   
So its ok for them to own our borders, and have free rein to our ports, to transport goods (if you can call them that) and services to our country, but they dont want us going near their waters? BS! I am sick of the double standard. If we stopped sending them our stuff to send back to us like the best wood and steel and everything else they sell back to us marked up 1000%, then I could see them having a problem with us nearing their waters, but we support them!!!

With the horrible way they are treating the world I am getting sick of china. Not the people or the culture or country, just the military industrial complex.

If its true Rockefeller owns their banks, let him pull out...

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by tristar
Hey, ive seen some seriously educated people on this site, do these vessels pose any threat to the U.S. ship. But then again i guess they could throw tuna fish at the U.S. soldier and perhaps one tuna might cause life threatening injuries.

It's not the physical damage that could of occurred... Of course that US ship could of pushed those little fishing boats around all day until they sank - and probably happily sail back to port to pull the dents out so to speak.

It's the very serious political light of the whole thing - Imagine what china would be saying right now - 'evil US rams peaceful fishing boats in act of war' or something like that.

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Here we are once again talking about pride, "What's China is going to do to the US Ships, throw tuna at them?" or "If its true Rockefeller owns their banks, let him pull out..."....Do you guys know what would happen if the US actually does that? United States of Amercia (The Dream Land) will no longer be a dream land, China has the US in their hands, google how much the US will suffer if China stops exporting "stuff" into the US.

Don't be so ignorant and search for the truth, don't be blinded by your patriotism!

[edit on 10-3-2009 by TheEnlightenedOne]

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheEnlightenedOne
China has the US in their hands, google how much the US will suffer if China stops exporting "stuff" into the US.

Don't be so ignorant and search for the truth, don't be blinded by your patriotism!

My point exactly let them eat all those low quality tools and cheap toys that will teach us

China needs the US or their factories will stay closed and nobody gets anything over there.

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by antar

So its ok for them to own our borders, and have free rein to our ports, to transport goods (if you can call them that) and services to our country, but they don’t want us going near their waters? BS!

If we ignore Tibet which the Chinese do not because they believe it is part of China, the Chinese have NEVER engaged in offensive war outside their present boundary. Just the opposite. From the 1700s onward, the West has repeatedly aggressed against the Chinese. Recall the good movie with Charlton Heston, “50 Days In Peking?”

Opium. Neither China nor Britain invented opium or heroin, but it was the British who fought several wars against the recalcitrant Chinese government for the “right” to sell opium to Chinese people in return for silks, porcelains and etc. It was not Chinese fighting to sell gin to down and out Londoners.

I am sick of the double standard. If we stopped sending them our stuff to send back to us like the best wood and steel and everything else they sell back to us marked up 1000%, then I could see them having a problem with us nearing their waters, but we support them!

It is now being called “Chi-merica.” The union of China as maker and America as consumer. It was a choice the Rich and Famous of our country made. I thought we sold our good wood to Japan and I did not know we make steel here, anymore.

Unfortunately, we do not support China. Some of us may think that is so but it is definitely not. We have allowed ourselves to be made drunk on cheap money. Because we as a nation were really rich, it is very hard to see our wealth slipping away. Balance of trade. That’s us spending our accumulated wealth. Now we are at the point where we must either sober up or fall flat on our face. It is our choice, not China’s.

With the horrible way they are treating the world I am getting sick of China. Not the people or the culture or country, just the military industrial complex. If its true Rockefeller owns their banks, let him pull out...

Well, how many people in Iraq has China killed since March 18, 2003? We have killed about 80,000 to 130,000 depending on who is counting. How many people have the Chinese killed in Afghan? We have killed about 20.000 to 50,000 according to who is counting. Does China have war ships off Long Island! Does China have war ships in the Gulf of Mexico. So what exactly is China doing around the world that is so bad?

Point? Know thy enemy!

Oh, no, the Rockefeller’s no longer “own” the banks. You will have to go to the Persian Gulf to find the banks’ owners today.

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by donwhite

And just exactly how many CHINESE have the Chinese killed in their Communist history?
Hmmm I cant really seem to get those figures from their website. I wonder why?

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

And just exactly how many CHINESE have the Chinese killed in their Communist history?

I try to avoid personal remarks, but I am overwhelmed to ask why you are concerned about that.

Do you think for instance that the Chinese killed more of their own than say, we killed of Native Americans? Why not go to one of these websites to get a handle on American abuses abroad?
www.zompist.com...
or try this one www.historycommons.org...

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by TheEnlightenedOne

Here we are once again talking about pride . . United States of America (The Dream Land) will no longer be a dream land, China has the US in their hands . . Don't be so ignorant and search for the truth, don't be blinded by your patriotism!

Super patriotism seems most prevalent in the generally POOR (and dumb) South and with the really au/h2o hard core Red state types.

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by donwhite

I try to avoid personal remarks, but I am overwhelmed to ask why you are concerned about that.

Well before you go spewing your version morality on everybody remember that most of the Chinese history you're quoting is before Communism lets get that straight. China has a very long and beautiful history with awesome accomplishments and most of all that greatness has nothing to do with the present Government.

Giving the Chinese Communist Government credit for anything great in China is like Giving the UK Credit for Stonehenge or the Present day Egyptian Government credit for building the Pyramids.

China sent plenty of troops " Outside " Their borders to the tune of something like 300.000 to 400.000 into Korea in the early 50s or have you forgotten that they got suckered into that war by Stalin another Communist thug.

I love China and Love it's long and beautiful history and all the major scientific accomplishments they have given to mankind but don't confuse that with the present government. They are relative new comers to tthe worlds stage they have been around what something like a little over 60+ Years?

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 12:48 PM
link   

China sent plenty of troops " Outside " Their borders to the tune of something like 300.000 to 400.000 into Korea in the early 50s or have you forgotten that they got suckered into that war by Stalin another Communist thug.

China warned the US/UN 2 or 3 times including America’s Knight Errant and Acting Emperor of Japan MacArthur, not to come closer than 50 km (20 miles?) to the Yalu River. MacArthur had presidential ambitions. He foresaw the US atom bombing China in late 1950 - Mao Zedong had just expelled Chiang Kai Shek from the mainland in December, 1949. MacArthur was virulently anti communist.

But you will also note that the Chinese Red Army unlike the American Army, STOPPED at the 38th parallel. And finally, you will note it is the US which still has 2 divisions or more in Korea while the Chinese have NONE.

China has never kowtowed to Stalin. Or to anyone.

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 12:52 PM
link   

China warned the US/UN 2 or 3 times including America’s Knight Errant and Acting Emperor of Japan MacArthur, not to come closer than 50 km (20 miles?) to the Yalu River.

That's 20 miles outside their country they had no authority.
Man that just shot holes in everything you just said.

They had no right to tell the UN where they can go in another country. Remember who started what my friend

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by donwhite

Uncertain Partners: Stalin, Mao, and the Korean War

The primary concern of Sergei Goncharov, John H. Lewis, and Xue Litai in Uncertain Partners lies in Sino-Soviet security relations and their influence on the beginnings of the Korean War.

The three co-authors, Russian, American, and Chinese, show that the critical decision to initiate the war was made by Stalin in April 1950 when he decided to support Kim Il Sung's attempt to forcibly reunify Korea.

The telling of this complicated story has benefited much from new written and oral sources on the subject made available in Moscow and Peking as a result of the end of the Cold War. The authors have also interviewed former high-ranking North Korean officers who were closely concerned with the launching of the war on that fateful Sunday morning of June 25,

Lashmar, Paul, "Stalin's 'Hot' War," New Statesman & Society, vol. 9, no. 388, Feburary 2, 1996

At the time of the Korean war, China's communist rulers had been in power for only two years. They feared for China's security. Cables show that Mao was reluctant to enter the war. He telexed Stalin expressing concern. On 5 October, Stalin told Mao that the US "is not ready for a big war", and that if the Chinese leader sent at least five or six divisions" to counter the UN forces, Washington Will be compelled to yield in the Korean question to China, behind which stands its ally, the USSR".

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 01:12 PM
link   

But you will also note that the Chinese Red Army unlike the American Army, STOPPED at the 38th parallel.

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 01:32 PM
link   

If we ignore Tibet which the Chinese do not because they believe it is part of China, the Chinese have NEVER engaged in offensive war outside their present boundary. Just the opposite. From the 1700s onward, the West has repeatedly aggressed against the Chinese. Recall the good movie with Charlton Heston, “50 Days In Peking?”

Wrong.

The chinese military was engaged in an offensive war in Korea in the early 1950's when their troops poured over the border, first into North Korea to help them and then on into South Korea, capturing the South Korean capital of Seoul for the 2nd time in the war.

article

On March 7, 1951, the Eighth Army pushed forward again, in Operation Ripper, and on March 14 they expelled the North Korean and Chinese troops from Seoul, the fourth time in a year the city had changed hands. Seoul was in utter ruins; its prewar population of 1.5 million had dropped to 200,000, with severe food shortages.

So, now you're also an apologist for the chinese?

[edit on 3/10/2009 by centurion1211]

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 01:47 PM
link   

But you will also note that the Chinese Red Army unlike the American Army, STOPPED at the 38th parallel. And finally, you will note it is the US which still has 2 divisions or more in Korea while the Chinese have NONE.

See my above post proving this statement to be totally incorrect. The chinese were very much involved in invading South Korea, so cannot be the total peace loving country you try to make them out to be.

[edit on 3/10/2009 by centurion1211]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join