It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Congress passes stopgap bill to avoid shutdown

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Congress passes stopgap bill to avoid shutdown

news.yahoo.com

WASHINGTON – Congress has approved a stopgap spending bill to keep the government running into next week.
The legislation is needed because a previous bill expires at midnight and the Senate is still debating a huge spending bill funding domestic agencies for the already-started budget year.
The 2009 budget began last October, but election-year fights delayed $410 billion worth of budget work. After a hitch on Thursday night that forced Congress to step in with short-term funds, the Senate appears on track to send the rest of the budget to President Barack Obama next week.
Republicans unsuccessfully tried to freeze the budget at current levels for the rest of the fiscal year. They said the budget spends too much amid huge deficits and belt-tightening across the country.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Here we go people. Congress has to raise that debt ceiling again or it will shut down. A stop-gap measure indicates more than meets the eye. They KNOW they are running a huge risk of being bankrupt. I expect a US government default this year, and a bankruptcy filing in 2010. Sovereign debt buyers won't continue this fiasco with news like this hitting the wire. How much do you think China will loan the Feds when they have to keep raising the debt ceiling and resorting to stop-gap measures to keep the deficit budget from forcing a collapse?

This will not end well.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Don't worry this bill will be funded and things will keep working as usual after all that is what government is good at, producing plenty of funds to fund everything in the nation.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 02:53 PM
link   
the republicans wanted to expand the stop gap measure to cover the year so that 8% increase in spending would be curbed of course that was shot down

cause democrats dont care they just want to spend spend spend us into bankruptcy.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 03:00 PM
link   
This isn't about democrats and republicans man. Get your head out of the sand already. Neither of them give a flying # about you. Again they don't give a flying # about you. If McCain had won the same steps would have been taken. It started with Bush, don't forget that.

Google Video Link

In this video he says that the crisis has "caused him to abandon certain free-market principles." And we all know that Obama doesn't give a flying # about the free market either. So where do you think you stand with your party?

Don't you think it's time to put down the partisan religious rivalry and join yourself as a party?

[edit on 6-3-2009 by projectvxn]

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 03:11 PM
link   
i will put down my partisanship when obama,pelosi,reid,dean,gore,lahey,carvell to name a few quit their jobs.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   
I think you missed my point entirely. You partisanship isn't the only kind hurting America. It's the democrats too. It's called divide and conquer. You're American first my friend. Don't let these rats in Washington fool into thinking they have the best plan. They don't.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 03:18 PM
link   
i didnt miss your point you blame bush for everything facit is hes not whats happening now is on obama. that is a fact

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Again you're mistaking my point. I'm not blaming everything on Bush. I'm not a partisan. This is 40 years of economic stupidity on the part of the federal government independent of party affiliation. Meaning that the only bi-partisanship in Washington lies in the many ways they've collectively destroyed our country.

[edit on 6-3-2009 by projectvxn]

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 03:23 PM
link   
my bad then my appologies

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 03:25 PM
link   
None needed. I know politics can be a heated thing for people. But the blame goes where it goes, And that it both parties. Because they're collective abandonment of the Constitution and American free-market capitalism has been going on for a long time. And it is time we returned to the Constitution, and gave freedom and free-market meaning again.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

I agree with you. IMO, both parties are responsible for what's going on now. Me, I used to vote repulican every election because I felt that they represented how I thought things should be done best, and I have realized over time that they don't. The people we send to Washington only think of us come election time. In saying that, I mean think of us and ways to continue pulling the wool over our eyes IMO, most politicians suck a@# doesn't matter what party affliation.

Good post by the way.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 03:38 PM
link   
They should have shutdown, at least our money would have stopped paying the banks and the congress screwing us with taxes and restrictions on our rights.

[edit on 6-3-2009 by Vitchilo]

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn
This isn't about democrats and republicans man. Get your head out of the sand already. Neither of them give a flying about you. Again they don't give a flying about you. If McCain had won the same steps would have been taken. It started with Bush, don't forget that.

Mr. Obama is making President Bush look like a miser.

Bush was taken advantage of by the Democrats. They knew Bush had National Security Priorities, and in order to get money to keep the successful adventure in Iraq alive, Bush had no choice but to OK Democrat spending that they love to add to spending bills.

Anybody else notice that everything started going down in 2006? After Democrats took over Congress?

Anyway what would be so bad to keep government running at last years levels? I would rather that than to fund over 8,500 earmarks

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 01:20 PM
link   
i agree man things got worse in 2006 after liberals got into control.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 01:43 PM
link   
RR it started going down in 2006 because the bubble came due. And America had spent 40 years of borrowed money. This was on Republican and Democratic watches. They both abandoned the free-market long ago.

And they STILL have people squabbling over political ideology that has failed on both ends to convince the thoughtful that it would lead anywhere but destruction. And now here we are.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 02:13 PM
link   
all i know is if bush tried to pull what obama has done and wants to do the liberals wouldnt stand for it. why should we.

people say republicans spent so much so democrats can too.

thing is thats all the more reason not be spending like theres no tomorrow.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 02:15 PM
link   
He did. He spent trillions on bailouts before Obama took office. Obama is just doing what he did.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 02:22 PM
link   
yet another reason not to do it.

throwing more money more money more money at the problem-is moronic

heres a little know fact:

most republicans got fired for the so called spending.

the democrats who are still in control of congress still have their jobs WHO SPENT THAT MONEY and blame republicans

that is a fact and it is not even acknowldged by anyone.

[edit on 7-3-2009 by neo67]

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Bush was forced into high spending because he had Iraq and other National Security issues to deal with. In order to get funding for these things Democrats loaded up Spending bills with pork knowing Bush would not veto it. All Spending starts in Congress. Not the President.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join