It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Patriots trade Matt Cassel to KC

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 06:09 AM
link   
I hope they didn't do this prematurely. Brady's knee hasn't been tested yet.

The New England Patriots just released a statement regarding a trade involving quarterback Matt Cassel, which sent him to the Kansas City Chiefs along with linebacker Mike Vrabel in exchange for the Chiefs second-round pick (34th overall) in the 2009 NFL Draft. "When Mike arrived in 2001, we knew we were adding a solid outside linebacker,” said Bill Belichick in the statement. “But where Mike took it from there exceeded our highest hopes." As for Matt Cassel, Belichick added, "It is very easy to root for guys like Matt Cassel, who do everything the right way and flourish as a result. As much as we would have loved to continue working with Matt, we wish him nothing but the best as he takes this next step forward in his career."
www.patsfans.com...

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by jsobecky

He almost came to Denver to be reunited with Josh McDaniels. Even the idea that Cutler was on the block has thrown the town into a tizzy. Hope new guy on the block pans out - and I think Brady will still be Brady - but you never know...the Chiefs got better anyway.

ColoradoJens

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by ColoradoJens
[m]

I can't believe that they would even entertain the possibility of trading Cutler!!!

Cassell is overated and this year would show.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bunch
reply to post by ColoradoJens
[m]

I can't believe that they would even entertain the possibility of trading Cutler!!!

Cassell is overated and this year would show.

I too am at a loss for words. Pro Bowl in second full year. Huge arm, can run and throw( maybe the best in NFL) and is only getting better. Cassell may or may not pan out, but he did well in one season. McDaniels of Denver may be too big for his britches right now..

CJ

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Just about money with Cassel, I'm sure they would have loved to keep him. Not sure if he wanted to be bridesmaid after last season though. -He's good.

Vegas has the Pats winning it all this year but, I don't know. They're one of the top teams to be sure but I don't think they'll hold up in the playoffs. I think Brady will lose a little of his sparkle too.

As far as Cutler goes, I tend to agree with what's in the link below.

sports.espn.go.com...

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by beezwaxes

Given that they only got a draft pick for Cassel & Vrabel, I agree. It freed up money under the cap.

I hope they use that money to beef up their defensive secondary.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Yeah, the AFC is going to be tough again next year. To do well in the playoffs will take a team that has it all and has all of it pretty healthy. Steelers, Indy, Ravens, Titans, Pats ect, ect.

NFC is tougher to figure. I get the feeling another 'surprise' team will end up in the big one. Seahawks or Falcons?

I wish it started this week

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Reports today from NFL.com have the Patriots taking the pick that they got from the Chefs and trading it to the Panthers for Julius Peppers. And then moving Peppers to outside linebacker. They needed to move Varbel to free up cap space and the outside linebacker position. The trade could happen during next weeks owners meeting.

As a Pats fan last year's rebuilding year was long and tough. 19-0 or bust this season.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   
It looks like we were all wrong about almost everything discussed in this thread. Cutler was terrible last year (running out of time to prove himself) and Cassel, well, possibly one of the worst showings in the NFL. Peppers to Patriots? Man, talking football is great.

ColoradoJens

[edit on 6-4-2010 by ColoradoJens]

top topics

join