It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

another possible necessity

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 06:29 PM
link   
I realized some other necessity that is needed for survival. Not immediate survival but in the longer run. It is yeast. You basically need yeast to make any sort of bread. You can use unleaven bread but if you want something tastier, having yeast on hand is a must. Though I have come across websites where you can grow your own easily enough.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Wow no takers on this one? I would think considering the importance of yeast that survivalist would be all over it.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by quantum wind
Wow no takers on this one? I would think considering the importance of yeast that survivalist would be all over it.

Yeast is easily acquired from nature in almost all areas of the world. It is also not essential to life.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Get yourself a good sourdough starter and keep it alive. Those things never seem to die off if you keep them warm.

Also, yes, yeast can be found world wide and is not essential for survival. However, do you know where to look and how to use naturally occuring yeast? And not all things are essential, but are nice to have. No one said survival must be difficult and painful.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Unleavened bread may not be as tasty but it will keep a lot longer. In fact you might want to keep the tasty foods for special rewards and bartering. You don't want your food to be too palatable, just nutritious. If you are in for the long haul the goal is to do with as little as you can to make it from one day to another. A slice a bread saved today may be the only thing that gives you another day of survival.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Another use for yeast that I haven't seen on this thread is for wine/beer making.

Alcoholic beverages would be very good barterable items, and if you get good at making your own wine and beer, a very barterable trade.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by DropInABucket

OMG, your right. And that is a necessity I hadn't thought of.

That is why I said yeast is not necessary for immediate survival, but would certainly be nice to have.

And for those of us less informed, I had not realized that you can grow it yourself, which I thought was handy info.

You will need it if you want any semblance of society to start again.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox

OMG, your right. And that is a necessity I hadn't thought of.

That is why I said yeast is not necessary for immediate survival, but would certainly be nice to have.

And for those of us less informed, I had not realized that you can grow it yourself, which I thought was handy info.

You will need it if you want any semblance of society to start again.

tradable/bartering especially with alcohol will be big after shtf or teotwawki. Moonshine needs sugars and yeast.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Jmurman

When I was a cocktail waitress, a nutritionist used to come in for happy hour. He told me that beer has more nutrtion in it then people think. In fact, a person could survive several weeks on just beer alone. But he said that is a secret, because they dont' need to give people any more excuses to drink beer, especially if nutrition is one of them.

I know that they also told me women should drink Guiness because it has an extra amount of iron in it

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

As I recall (from those older I may add) Guinness of now is slightly different to Guinness of then.

Woman in U.K. back then were prescribed Guinness during pregnancy.

No, this prescription was not for 4 pints every night and, is no longer available!

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
reply to post by Jmurman

When I was a cocktail waitress, a nutritionist used to come in for happy hour. He told me that beer has more nutrtion in it then people think. In fact, a person could survive several weeks on just beer alone.

Beer is liquid bread.

Especially my home made stout. Its the beer that drinks like a meal!

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 12:58 PM
link   
i]Originally posted by DropInABucket

Beer is liquid bread.

Especially my home made stout. Its the beer that drinks like a meal!

Oh thats rich, you are funny

But really OP where is the link to the natural sources? And also how to keep your yeast fresh when there is no electricity?

You can have pounds of it, but if it does not keep how long does it last?

Also the yeast in the jars has become extremely expensive, is there a cheaper source for buying bulk?

Sourdough starter is GOOD!

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

I apologize! I meant to post some links and forgot. A little sleep deprived these days. Let me look some decent ones up and I will get back to you.

And sourdough. mmmmmm
Warm sourdough with some butter, best stuff on earth.

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 12:51 PM
link   

I shared an apt once with a bunch of bachelors. One of their friends brought us homemade beer. It was the BEST beer I had ever tasted. I wholly regret not getting the guys name, LOL.

I want to make my own beer one day, when I build up the nerve.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Here is just info on yeast.

I didn't know the part about that salt, that is handy to know.
www.thecookinginn.com...

Here is an easy way to make yeast with raisins.

originalyeast.blogspot.com...

Here is a yeast substitute in case you don't have any yeast.
Dunno how it will taste though.

frugalliving.about.com...

If anyone tries it, let me know.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 12:00 PM
link   
nixie_nox, just go for it. Try to make your own beer. It is surprisingly easy. Visit your local homebrew store and they will set you up.

As for the benefits of beer, you can go to the following URL and enter beer in the search engine. It will tell you what nutrients the USDA says are in beer. I was surprised how much is in there.

USDA Nutrition Search

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by fritzM

Its expensive though isn't it? To get the equipment for homemade brew? Though I could check around some sites and see if anyone is giving it away.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nirgal

As I recall (from those older I may add) Guinness of now is slightly different to Guinness of then.

No, this prescription was not for 4 pints every night and, is no longer available!

i thought it was Mackesan they were prescribed, Mackesan stout ?

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nirgal

i thought it was Mackesan they were prescribed, Mackesan stout ?

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 03:03 PM
link   
make sure not to handle it if you have any open wounds exposed! Even if its not coming into contact with it like if the cuts on your shin. Particles can get in there and cause a nasty infection.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join