It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to tell a True Prophet from a False Prophet

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 04:26 PM
link   
The signs of a True Prophet are (choose an answer)

a) All his prophecies come true

b) He performs miracles

c) He is a very powerful and inspired speaker

d) He has a large following or audience

e) all of the above

I will provide the answer to this question later tonight...

(feel free to post which one you think is the correct answer)

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 04:42 PM
link   
I do believe in prophets, although in this lifetime I haven't seen, heard or met one, but history shows many intelligent people that could forecast certain events.

And to your question, I'll choose A, but its already fair enough if even one of the prophecies come true.

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 04:46 PM
link   
nothing from the numbers..

f) a prophet is. only be

and if false or true is his / her choise.

Nia

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 05:14 PM
link   
they wouldn't be interested in material things.
Because they know that there is something higher than themselves.

They would not be interested in forming your opinion.
Because they know that self awareness is all that matters,
And free will is whatever conclusion you come to.

And I doubt they would have any kind of ego.
Because how could you after being in touch with something as...
Well I don't know.

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 05:14 PM
link   
they wouldn't be interested in material things.
Because they know that there is something higher than themselves.

They would not be interested in forming your opinion.
Because they know that self awareness is all that matters,
And free will is whatever conclusion you come to.

And I doubt they would have any kind of ego.
Because how could you after being in touch with something as...
Well I don't know.

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by SirPaulMuaddib

b) He performs miracles
e) all of the above

I will provide the answer to this question later tonight...
(feel free to post which one you think is the correct answer)

None of the above. The Christian bible does state that "you can tell a true prophet by whether the prophecies came true or not".

Unfortunately for Christianity, this is not the case entirely. If they actually managed to read the Torah they would know several major prophets that spoke of things that did not come true (which was also explained in depth).

In any case, the Christian explanation is pretty useless in a real world scenario too. If we were to recognize a true prophet by whether his prophecies came true or not, means that we would always find that out too late and long after his warnings where given initially. Another pitfall is that many religions often claim that certain prophecies that haven't come true yet, are for the future. So, the Christian guidelines are totally useless unless I'm missing the point somewhere.

I would use my gut feeling and try to feel the prophet spiritually if i was able, plus he would probably speak harshly to us and of things we hate to hear. I would be wary of those who speak gentle words and that sound very pleasant to my ears that we are doing a great job so far. My reasoning is that I don't think we would need prophets if there was nothing to warn about or rebuke.

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 05:44 PM
link   
I think that from my experience, ANYONE can be a prophet at times, depending on the PROPHECY......sometimes I am dead ON.....other times, I don't have a clue and just keep quiet and wait and see......sometimes the drunk guy in the corner at the bar can be dead ON too....we ALL have moments of insight forsight.....we just have to be discerning of what actions or inactions that follow that insight if we want to benefit or wait for the next lesson.

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by SirPaulMuaddib

b) He performs miracles

e) all of the above

Not necessarily any of the above!

It can be a person who has "insight" or "senses" that most don't have, or in a particular area. A person with high spiritual abstract reasoning who can put pieces together and receives help from God/Source/Creator/Infinite being.

Often it may not be about an incidence as much as it is overall understanding of things. This may be shared sparingly or with a group.

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 06:19 PM
link   

The answer is: a) All his/her prophecies come true

True prophets are often killed which is why there are so very few. They also have no control over what they prophesy. It is not conjured or sought after.

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by SirPaulMuaddib

b) He performs miracles
e) all of the above

The answer is: d) None of the above

Prophecies coming true do not point to any prophetic abilities because it cannot be proven the person never had advanced knowledge or luck.

Miracles can be performed by any illusionist and aided by any given assistance. Not to mention heresay.

A powerful and inspired speaker means nothing, the person could be a gifted manipulator

A large following or audience, see the above line.

Where's the pop quiz for the false prophet?
Here you go:

The signs of a False Prophet are (choose an answer)

A) his name begins with a self-appointed title
B) he says "the answers will come later"
C) he attempts to appear mysterious

[edit on 28-2-2009 by violet]

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 09:40 AM
link   
For the test of a true prophet the answer is this : none of the above.

Most of those attributes (prophecies come true, miraculous powers, large "audience" or following) will be attributes of the False Prophet.

The False Prophet, will perform miracles in the sight of men, one of them will be calling down fire from heaven. The False Prophet may or may not "prophesy" in the traditional sense, of foretelling, but it would be no surprise if he did. He will certainly have a large worldwide audience, he will also speak "as a lamb".

That is NOT to say....a true prophet will not prophesy or have all his prophecies come true, or perform miracles. The critical point is that prophesying and prophecies that come true are NOT the test of a true prophet. A true prophet will prophesy, and for a true prophet all his prophecies do come true, but again, this is not the test of the true prophet.

People all over the world do not understand how to test for a true prophet. It's a two step process.

They look at the "first part" (he prophesies...his prophecy comes true), but do not test for the "second part" (I'll explain).

Here is the biblical test

1) Prophet prophesies....prophecy comes true (it goes without saying a true prophet NEVER has failed prophecy)

2) The second test....which almost ALL do not apply. This test, checks to see if he leads you away from the True God. Do you see this? Most...when the False Prophet comes on the scene...will ONLY apply the first test, they will not do the second test. And they will be deceived.

Here are the bible verses that demonstrate this....

Chapter 13

1 If ever you have among you a prophet or a dreamer of dreams and he gives you a sign or a wonder,

2 And the sign or the wonder takes place, and he says to you, Let us go after other gods, which are strange to you, and give them worship;

3 Then give no attention to the words of that prophet or that dreamer of dreams: for the Lord your God is testing you, to see if all the love of your heart and soul is given to him.

4 But keep on in the ways of the Lord your God, fearing him and keeping his orders and hearing his voice, worshipping him and being true to him.

5 And that prophet or that dreamer of dreams is to be put to death; for his words were said with the purpose of turning you away from the Lord your God, who took you out of the land of Egypt and made you free from the prison-house; and of forcing you out of the way in which the Lord your God has given you orders to go. So you are to put away the evil from among you.
Deut 13:1-5 (BBE)

Notice Deut 13:2 : If the sign or wonder COMES TRUE. Is not the sign of a true prophet, the sign is two fold, If the sign comes true and he does NOT lead you away to false gods, then he is confirmed as a true prophet. But if the sign comes true and he leads you to ANOTHER GOD, a false God, then he is a false prophet.

Deut 13:3 - God will often send false prophets....do you see this? Do you see what this verse is saying? The text is quite plain. God sometimes (not always) sends false prophets AS A TEST! He want to see....will you blindly follow the false prophet? Or will you put him to the test? That is, to see if he is true/false? That is, if he passes the two fold test?

How do we apply the second test? How do figure out what "go after other gods" means? How do we know when he is leading us to go after other gods? Do you think Satan has them put up some golden calf for us to worship? Something so obvious? No.

"Other gods" have OTHER commandments...other commandments that replace and supplant God's commandments (for example Sunday worship).

Verse 4 explains this.....(MKJV is better translation)

Deu 13:4 You shall walk after Jehovah your God and fear Him, and keep His commandments, and obey His voice, and you shall serve Him and hold fast to Him.

It should (hopefully) be obvious that the True God expects you to follow HIS commandment, not another god's commandments, not replacement commandments, and to follow HIS voice and not another god's voice. The bible also tells you what the "voice" is. The "voice" is the word of truth. That is, to hear his voice is the listen/believe/obey his voice. (John 17:17, John 18:37) . That "voice", is simply the bible.

So here is the test for a True prophet

1) Do ALL his prophecies come true?

2) Does he lead you to the true God or to a false God? (A false God will have other commandments than the 10 commandments, and other traditions than the bible traditions, a false God will have "man's" traditions and commandments replacing God's traditions and commandments, such as Sunday worship, such as pagan holidays replacing God's holidays etc...)

Most, when the False Prophet comes, will simply not apply the second test. He will impose Sunday worship on the world (that is, under penalty of death).

They will see the miracles. They will believe, because they will skip the most important test...the second test.

[edit on 1-3-2009 by SirPaulMuaddib]

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 10:02 AM
link   
aren't the historical Prophets usually poor & wearing tattered clothes?

As opposed to the modern Profits on TV, wearing Rolex watches & being chauffered by limosine?

additionally, a Prophet does not always predict a future event,
they sometimes just offer warnings, admonitions for the community to change their status-quo

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by St Udio

Yes, I would agree...the Two Witnesses will wear sackcloth.

This "sackcloth" is NOT some burlap bag they cut a hole in and stuck their head through. It is a type of robe made of rough cloth.

Sackcloth was most often made of coarse, black goat's hair. As its name indicates, it was used for sacks, but was also customarily worn by mourners (in some countries, the ancient custom is still faintly seen today when mourners wear black arm bands at funerals), or as a sign of deep repentance and humility. Ashes were often included as a further symbol of personal abhorrence and chagrin. Also, sackcloth was, and will be (in some contemporary form), in the case of the two witnesses, worn by some Prophets.

www.keyway.ca...

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by St Udio

additionally, a Prophet does not always predict a future event,
they sometimes just offer warnings, admonitions for the community to change their status-quo

Yes, this is true, but in a sense this is often (but not always) couched in a prophecy. IE...if your nation does not repent "x" will happen to it.

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 10:16 AM
link   
I should add that speculating and prophesying are TWO DIFFERENT things.

People confuse when a minister is speculating rather than prophesying. Ministers can speculate on dates and such...that is fine. The apostle Paul thought (incorrectly) that Christ would return in his lifetime, he later grew out of that. This is different that a prophet speaking in his official capacity as a prophet.

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 01:53 PM
link   

The apostle Paul thought (incorrectly) that Christ would return in his lifetime, he later grew out of that.

Do you happen to have a Scripture reference for the first part of the above quote?

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 02:13 PM
link   
""For the test of a true prophet the answer is this : none of the above.""

didnt i say that?

A second test?

I guess there will happen what happens at the first test..

NW

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by NW111
""For the test of a true prophet the answer is this : none of the above.""

didnt i say that?

A second test?

I guess there will happen what happens at the first test..

NW

Yes, you mentioned it...

The point I was going to make later (after some replies), was that this in and of itself is not a proper test of whether someone is a true or false prophet.

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by PreTribGuy

The apostle Paul thought (incorrectly) that Christ would return in his lifetime, he later grew out of that.

Do you happen to have a Scripture reference for the first part of the above quote?

Here an explanation (that I agree with) that shows this..

The New Testament writers often wrote of Christ’s “appearing,” and they never failed to convey the sense that this could happen imminently. “And now, little children, abide in Him, that when He appears, we may have confidence and not be ashamed before Him at His coming” (1 John 2:28; cf. 3:2; Col 3:4; 2 Tim 4:8; 1 Pet5:4).All those texts suggest that in the early church expectation of Christ’s imminent return ran high. A solid conviction that Christ could return at any time permeates the whole NT. When the apostle Paul described the Lord’s coming for the church, he used personal pronouns that show he clearly was convinced he himself might be among those who would be caught up alive to meet the Lord:
“We who arealive and remain until the coming of the Lord . . . .
we who are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air” (1 Thess4:15, 17, emphasis added). He obviously looked for Christ to return in his lifetime.

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 04:47 PM
link   
The answer is A

But......all the prophecies must come true down to the finest detail, not some broad statement or interpretation that can be twisted so it appears the "prophet" is correct.

Still havent seen a true prophet yet

<<   2 >>

join