It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US 'to shoot down N Korean missile'

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 04:31 AM
link   

www.presstv.ir

"We will be fully prepared to respond as the president [Obama] directs," Adm. Timothy Keating said in an interview with ABC News on Thursday.

His remark came after the North announced on Tuesday that it would launch satellite Kwangmyongsong-2 into orbit as part of its space program despite claims that the country intends to test its 'long-range missiles'.

"If a missile leaves the launch pad we'll be prepared to respond upon direction of the president," said Keating.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 22/06/2008 by Truther]

[edit: title to same as source]
Headline: Please use the original story headline from your source.

[edit on 27-2-2009 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 04:31 AM
link   
This is gonna be interesting, a recipe for disaster if you ask me.. What do you think North korea will do if they do strike whatever there launching.. Probably attack the south i would think..

This could very well start full blown war with the south, seen as there are a fair few US forces in the south, im definatly keeping my eye out to see what the response is from the north about this threat..

www.presstv.ir
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 04:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Truther

Very interesting article, more dangerous and deadly activity to worry about
. I wonder though why an article of news on this has not been presented by a USA source?

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 04:42 AM
link   

Please change misleading title.
It doesn't say the US is to shoot down N Korean missile.
It simply says we are ready to respond as the president says.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 04:42 AM
link   
The admiral is only saying if the Administration wants the missile to be taken out we have the ability to do so.

I have a hard time thinking the Administration will want to do anything other than asking China to keep North Korea under control.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 04:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by BorgHoffen

Please change misleading title.
It doesn't say the US is to shoot down N Korean missile.
It simply says we are ready to respond as the president says.

I didnt write the story [snip], im just presenting it to you.. Make of it what you will.

Mod Note: General ATS Discussion Etiquette – Please Review This Link.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 04:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by space cadet
reply to post by Truther

Very interesting article, more dangerous and deadly activity to worry about
. I wonder though why an article of news on this has not been presented by a USA source?

Heres your USA source.
Line 2
abcnews.go.com...

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 04:49 AM
link   
[edit on 27/2/09 by Harlequin]

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 04:49 AM
link   
The title doesn't need to be changed, because when posting news articles, we are to use the correct title from the article we are quoting and linking.. check the regulations.

Also, it is being reported by an American news source as well. Fox news is carrying the same story, same headline.

www.foxnews.com...

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 04:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by brohes
The title doesn't need to be changed, because when posting news articles, we are to use the correct title from the article we are quoting and linking.. check the regulations.

Also, it is being reported by an American news source as well. Fox news is carrying the same story, same headline.

www.foxnews.com...

Thank you brohes, for clearing that up.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 04:53 AM
link   
no worries, but check above.. you had a few that came to the rescue

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 05:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Truther
This could very well start full blown war with the south, seen as there are a fair few US forces in the south, im definatly keeping my eye out to see what the response is from the north about this threat..

Well I don’t think it will ‘Start’ a war because technically we are still at war with North Korea. We never signed a peace treaty, the war simply stalled near the 38th parallel, which was turned into a DMZ, and we have been at a cease-fire since then.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 05:09 AM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

At least we won't have to fight China this time if the cease fire is broken. Poor North Korea won't have any Soviets to aid them either.

Now all we have to do is consult the Tom Clancy Oracle to see what happens.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 05:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Truther
What do you think North korea will do if they do strike whatever there launching.. Probably attack the south i would think..

Why would they have to assemble their 'longest range missile ever' to hit the south? That missile should be capable of crossing the north Pacific and hitting the west coast of the US - where as they could literally use mortars to hit south Korea... If they wanted to land missiles in S Korea they will already have plenty of tried and tested types.

This could be interesting - I wonder what would happen if the launch did take place, the US attempted to take it down and failed... That would be some serious egg on the face.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 05:21 AM
link   

Your not hearing me right, i said what will the north do if there missle gets shot down? WILL THEY ATTACK THE SOUTH? Are them letters big enough for ya.

[edit: removed unnecessary quote of entire previous post]
Quoting - Please review this link

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 05:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Truther

I assume that is directed at me by its context, though I cannot tell for sure as the mod removed the whole post you were referring too. What you state, however, changes nothing as a State of War still officially exists between the North and South Korea as well as the US and North Korea.

So your question should be, will it cause a breaking of the Cease-Fire between North and South Korea. See…

With that information in mind, if we shoot the thing down, then have we have broken the Cease-Fire or have they broken the Cease-Fire by launching it to begin with?

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 07:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by brohes

www.foxnews.com...

Fox news isn´t a news source but a biast political tool.

Nothings going to happen here, even if the US were able to shoot this down, which would involve flying into N. Korean airspace to get it before it reached around 17000 miles per hour (Mach 25-ish which it needs to escape the earths gravity) and uncatchable by any military missile or aircraft. (not taking into account "secret" weapons
)

N. Korea wouldn´t start war over it because if they did they would cease to exist within a day or two. Not a good situation for a power hungry, dictator politician.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 09:48 AM
link   
shoost it quick!@!

why are we pretending to care if NK is mad about ANYTHING?

who cares! they are so pathetically small and UNTHREATENING that its laughable.

its like seperating to children fighting. JUST HOLD THEM BY THE HEADS. what a joke.

if they are putting a satellite up then good for them. maybe it will go defunk and crash into more of our stuff.

if its a missle. shoot it down and put them back on watch.

WHY DO LITTLE COUNTRIES FEEL THE NEED TO PLAY BIG BOYS!? GO LAY DOWN SOMEWHERE AND WAIT TILL YOU ARE CALLED ON!

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 09:54 AM
link   
They will just ask China to have a little talk with North Korea...seriously,the last place i'd ever expect a war to happen is with north korea...they blow thier trumpets and hope to get some goodies for doing so.Its getting very old everyone knows they wouldn't launch anything at south korea.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Maybe America wants to play with their shiny new laser, you know the one on the 747.

I know I would
and it cost them a fortune to develop, may as well show it off to the world in a real life type situation. I think the range is 600km, but closer is better. Even at 300 km the 747 could be outside NK's airspace and have a chance - they know the launch site is Hwadae which is right on the coast - the americans could have ships and aircraft loitering in the sea off Japan.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join