It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Worldwide Unrest Growing...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Financial crisis sparks unrest in Europe
www.reuters.com...
Feb 26 (Reuters) - Thousands of Opel workers from around Germany took part in a mass rally on Thursday demanding parent General Motors (GM.N) scrap plans for plant closures in Europe.

The global financial and economic crisis has sparked many protests in parts of Europe. Here are some details:

* BOSNIA -- Workers of Bosnia's only alumina producer Birac protested on Feb. 9 in Banja Luka, demanding salary payments and government support to offset falling metal prices.

* BRITAIN -- British workers held a series of protests at power plants, demonstrating against the employment of foreign contractors to work on critical energy sites.

-- The protests follow a week-long dispute at the Total-owned Lindsey oil refinery in Lincolnshire, which resulted in Total agreeing to hire more British workers on the project. Workers voted to end the unofficial strike on Feb. 5.

* BULGARIA -- Police officers, banned by law from striking, have held three "silent" protests since December to demand a 50 percent pay hike and better working conditions. Bulgaria, the poorest EU nation, has been hit by protests demanding the government take measures to shore up the economy.

-- Farmers blocked the only Danube bridge link with Romania and rallied across Bulgaria on Feb. 4 demanding the government set a minimum protective price for milk and stop imports of cheap substitutes.

* FRANCE -- President Nicolas Sarkozy faced criticism from both unions and bosses on Feb. 19 over new measures to tackle the economic crisis. Sarkozy offered an additional 2.65 billion euros ($3.4 billion) of social spending in an effort to quell labour unrest over a previous stimulus package that targeted investment rather than consumers. France's eight union federations called for a day of action on March 19.

-- Up to 2.5 million protesters took to the streets of France on Jan. 29 in a day of strikes and rallies to denounce the economic crisis but the strike failed to paralyse the country and support from private sector workers was limited.

-- A union representative was killed last week and several policemen wounded by protesters on the French Caribbean island in violence over the cost of living. Guadeloupe, a region of France and part of the EU, has been brought to a standstill in February by a general strike over high prices for food.

* GERMANY -- Thousands of Opel workers from around Germany took part in a mass rally at the company's headquarters, demanding on Thursday that parent General Motors scrap plans for plant closures in Europe. Vice Chancellor Frank-Walter Steinmeier at the rally, added, "This is about more than just Opel. It's about the future of the car industry in Germany." * GREECE -- Greek farmers protesting low product prices ended a two week blockade of a border crossing with Bulgaria on Feb. 7 when their demands for compensation were met. Greece had endured days of travel chaos with thousands of angry farmers setting roadblocks across the country, but most have ended after the government pledged 500 million euros ($640 million) in subsidies on products such as olive oil and wheat. -- High youth unemployment was a main driver for rioting in Greece in December, initially sparked by the police shooting of a youth in an Athens neighbourhood. The protests forced a government reshuffle.

* ICELAND -- Prime Minister Geir Haarde resigned on Jan. 26 after protests. The first leader in the world to fall as a direct result of the financial crisis, he was replaced by Johanna Sigurdardottir, who heads a new centre-left coalition.

* IRELAND -- Nearly 100,000 people marched through Dublin on Feb. 21 to protest at government cutbacks in the face of a deepening recession and bailouts for the banks.

* LATVIA -- A new Latvian prime minister was appointed on Thursday after the four-party ruling coalition collapsed on Feb. 20 and the president called for talks to forge a new government to tackle a deepening economic crisis. The government was the second to succumb to the financial crisis.

-- Latvia's agriculture minister had already gone on Feb. 3 amid protests by farmers over falling incomes. A 10,000-strong protest on Jan. 13 descended into a riot. Government steps to cut wages, as part of an austerity plan to win international aid, have angered people.

* LITHUANIA -- Police fired teargas lon Jan. 16 to disperse demonstrators who pelted parliament with stones in protest at cuts in social spending. Police said 80 people were detained and 20 injured. Prime Minister Andrius Kubilius said the violence would not stop an austerity plan.

* MONTENEGRO -- In Podgorica, aluminium workers demanded on Feb. 9 to be paid their salaries and an immediate restart of suspended production at the Kombinat Aluminijuma Podgorica (KAP), a Russian-owned plant.

* RUSSIA -- Hundreds of angry communists rallied in Moscow on Feb. 23 in protest at the Kremlin's handling of the crisis that has rocked the Russian economy, the latest in a series of demonstrations held across Russia as the economic crisis bites.

-- The opposition rallied about 350 people in central Moscow two days earlier to demand early presidential elections.

-- On Jan. 31, thousands of opposition supporters rallied in Moscow and the port of Vladivostok over hardships caused by the financial crisis. The next day hundreds of Moscow demonstrators called for Russia's leaders to resign.

* UKRAINE - Hundreds of Ukrainians protested at separate demonstrations on Feb. 23, with some urging President Viktor Yushchenko to quit while others demanded their money back from banks hit by the financial crisis.

IMF warns of economic riots, police ready for civil unrest
Paulson discussed worst-case scenario at bailout meeting – declare martial law
www.wnd.com...

EU states monitor spread of civil unrest
euobserver.com...

Civil unrest caused by recession 'a major worry'
www.guardian.co.uk...

Rumbles of discontent from Russia 02/09...
link.brightcove.com...

Britons flee French island of Guadeloupe as rioters turn on white families
www.dailymail.co.uk...

France pledges $730M to head off Caribbean riots
edition.cnn.com...

Mexico Drug Violence May Be Reaching Peak
www.cbsnews.com...

Mexico to send more troops to besieged city
www.reuters.com...

Pakistani Police Use Tear Gas, Batons on Protesters at Pro-Sharif Rallies
www.bloomberg.com...

Thai `Red Shirt' Protesters March on Abhisit's Office to Demand Election
www.bloomberg.com...

Strikes Shut Down Berlin Airports as Public-Service Workers Want More Pay
www.bloomberg.com...

Mugabe's Supporters Seize 77 Farms, Threaten Other Landowners, Groups Say
www.bloomberg.com...

Worldwide Civil Unrest
www.youtube.com...
www.youtube.com...
www.youtube.com...

Mass U.S. and Canada Demonstrations Set for March 13th-19th
www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 2/26/2009 by Hx3_1963]

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Good information my friend.

It will take me awhile to get caught up on all that.

Wow!

Now if they all knew the truth about things, we could have a great Witch hunt for bankers.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 04:50 PM
link   
That's what I'd like to see...The Citizens of the World call the Bankers bluff!!!

It'll never happen but boy would I love to see that...

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 04:51 PM
link   
The problem with all this is that these protests aren't about the corruption and overweening power of government. These people are demanding greater "social spending"; in other words, 'I'm fine with the govt. controlling me and perpetrating evil as long as I get a comfortable cut of the proceeds.' This is why the NWO is rising virtually without resistance. People are selling their souls for bread and circus.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 05:11 PM
link   
I just read about a demonstration in Trollhättan (Sweden) regarding the plans of the GM management to quit the production of cars in Europe, so you probably should add it in your list.

Source

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Skittle

Thanks for adding that!
Star 4 U!
Everyone feel free to add anything you hear about!!!
Seems a few Countrys are upset about US car makers shutting down in their neck of the wood also...

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 05:22 PM
link   
It's good to see the people of the world protesting the lack of good policies to deal with this world wide depression.

Yes I said depression. Most government leaders won't admit it and only call it a recession, thinking it will turn around.

Well it's not going to! Even the men and women on CNBC are saying a huge economic event is going to happen in March. Many Economists are saying this as well. Even I came to this conclusion without help from outside sources. As it keeps being mentioned I just become more and more sure that worse is to come.

I wonder if the protests happening in March will spark this economic crisis, if the protest themselves will spread the word enough for people to realize it's not going to get better.

Tent

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Police in the UK are preparing for civil unrest over the state of the economy.

Police fear 'Summer Of Rage'

It's about time people got angry and made their voices heard. People in this country have been far too apathetic to protest over recent years. The last time we had any notable civil unrest was in reaction to Thatcher's Poll Tax in the early nineties, and before that the pit strike of 1984/85. As with the pit strike, expect the police to show their true colours this year.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Tentickles

I agree on the depression viewpoint...even got a thread verifying it...lines from the beginning of February up till today...

2009 Depression Validated
www.abovetopsecret.com...

and the events mentioned in March could be related to the current displeasure...seems America isn't the only country calling for something around March 19th...

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Paul

Check out this thread as well. It mentions the Summer of Rage. I have been reading about it all over the place. We shall see what it is going to be like.

Gloomy Predictions for 2009
It goes though a few countries that are on you list.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Pakistani protests turn violent
updated at 18:16 GMT, Thursday, 26 February 2009
news.bbc.co.uk...

Thousands of supporters of Pakistan's ex-Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif have protested after the courts banned him and his brother from elected office.

Streets were blocked off in main cities and businesses and vehicles set alight.

Boy...just what they don't need over there right now...

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 01:21 AM
link   
Based on Ron Paul's comments this weekend that the Central Banks probably already have a new world currency in the pipes. That's scary! This crisis seems more and more contrived as time goes on. Every country in the world is spending themselves into the poor house to fix nothing long term and it's just business as usual.

I think the new currency if true, would have to include some debt realignement based on global output and size of economy or something to that affect. I mean the spending in the US is staggering. I'm begining to wonder about that Obama fellow. Granted he did inherit a mess.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 06:11 AM
link   
Hundreds Detained, 40 Dead In Bangladesh
www.cbsnews.com...

(AP) Security forces have detained hundreds of fleeing border guards and set up roadblocks across Bangladesh since a bloody two-day revolt against military officers reportedly left at least 40 people dead, officials and a local TV report said Friday.

The border guards, whose unit rose up against their commanders earlier this week, have been promised amnesty, but it was not clear if that would apply to guards who fled their bases.

Soon after tanks rolled into Dhaka and intimidated the mutinous border guards, who had seized their main compound in the capital, into laying down their arms, many mutineers fled under cover of darkness, according to Abdul Kashem, an official of the mutinous Bangladesh Rifles, the official name of the paramilitary border force.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 07:13 AM
link   
What is it about March? almost everything I have heard about rallies etc seem to be planned for March.

Will point out, have heard nothing from the land down under where I am.

aahhhhhh

"beware the Ides of March" - The soothsayer's warning to Julius Caesar

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Definitely good to see it beginning.

Although I am wondering why we're not protesting more in the UK. We have MP's defrauding the public through their personal use of public money, wealthy bankers being given obscene pensions after causing the problems we are all going to have to pay for...

It really is a situation where the wealthy elite are continually screwing the people for everything they can get. And I hope this country will wake up soon and say that enough is enough.

I saw a TV program last night, one of those chat shows where a bunch of b-list celebrities talk a load of rubbish, but one of them was telling the truth at least, and she was calling for a Revolution. She pointed out that in France they don't take this kind of insult, but in Britain we seem weak and powerless to do anything about it. It was rightly mentioned that had this happened even just twenty years ago, there would be thousands in the streets of London calling for justice.

Bring it on, I'd love to see the bankers running from their mansions while the people burn them to the ground.
I'm sick of being a minion to these corrupt slave masters.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by detachedindividual
She pointed out that in France they don't take this kind of insult, but in Britain we seem weak and powerless to do anything about it.

I wouldn't say that the British public are weak and powerless, just apathetic and unmotivated at the current time. Also we don't have powerful unions like the NUM any more to sound the rallying cry and organise action on a large scale. Effectively our tipping point as a populace is raised, and when it does eventually kick off it'll be disoragined, more angry, all the more chaotic and spectacular for it, much like the Poll Tax riots of 1990:

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 09:04 AM
link   
www.indymedia.org.uk...

I propose 12 Noon GMT, Saturday 4th July 2009 to start a global day of action, when people from around the world, take to the streets and object to the 'Big Brother' surveillance state, to ID cards, CCTV cameras, internet, email and phone surveillance, oppressive laws and other relevant issues.

Freedom is about more than just civil liberties. It's about our whole lives, it's about who we are as people and the purpose and dignity of our very existence. It's about the kind of world we want our children and grandchildren to inherit.

The global day of action can be organised through Indymedia, national student union's, trade unions, advocacy groups, local governments, neighbourhood/community organisations, social networking websites, forums and so forth.

Design posters, flyers, get blogging, e-mailing, texting and get something organised in your part of the world.

It's time to stand up and voice our opposition. 12 Noon GMT, July 4th 2009.

Everyone on the planet has a right to be part of this.

Indymedia
www.indymedia.org...

List of Trade Unions
en.wikipedia.org...

List of social networking websites
en.wikipedia.org...

International Union of Students
en.wikipedia.org...

Online Newspapers
www.onlinenewspapers.com...

The Biggest Boards
www.thebiggestboards.com...

Admin Fusion - Members may advertise a global day of action on their boards.
www.adminfusion.com...

The State of things to come.
www.statewatch.org...

Just started this today, so not much info on it yet.
www.myspace.com...

[edit on 27-2-2009 by BetweenMyths]

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Arsonists Torch Berlin Porsches, BMWs on Economic Woe (Update1)
www.bloomberg.com...

new topics

top topics

join