It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police in Denver do the unthinkable

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 07:51 AM
link   
They really should be ashamed of themselves.

yahoo news

Injured good Samaritan ticketed for jaywalking
DENVER – A good Samaritan who helped push three people out of the path of a pickup truck before being struck and injured has gotten a strange reward for his good deed: A jaywalking ticket.

Family members said 58-year-old bus driver Jim Moffett and another man were helping two elderly women cross a busy Denver street in a snowstorm when he was hit Friday night.

Moffett suffered bleeding in the brain, broken bones, a dislocated shoulder and a possible ruptured spleen. He was in serious but stable condition Wednesday.

The Colorado State Patrol issued the citation. Trooper Ryan Sullivan said that despite Moffett's intentions, jaywalking contributed to the accident.

Moffett had been driving his bus when the two women got off. In the interest of safety, he got out and, together with another passenger, helped the ladies cross.

Moffett's stepson, Ken McDonald, said the driver of the pickup plowed into his stepfather, but not before Moffett pushed the two women out of the way.

When he awoke in intensive care, he learned of the ticket. "His reaction was dazed and confused. I was a little angry," said McDonald.

The other man also was cited for jaywalking, while the pickup driver was cited with careless driving that led to injury. Sullivan said the two elderly women haven't been cited but the investigation is ongoing.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 08:11 AM
link   
reply to post by j2000

Unfortunate accident, for sure.

I must ask why the women were not cited as well?

Usually there is a crosswalk near bus stops. Were they in one, and obscured by ice and snow? I wonder.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 08:26 AM
link   
A pedestrian should always have the right of way. Im pretty sure they just didn't run out into traffic. The driver of the truck that hit them was just not paying attention.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Really you consider this unthinkable by police? I'm not surprised in the least. It is a pity some guy who risked his life for other people would be treated like this.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by j2000

Here is another source:

Man hit by truck helping women cross street, ticketed

An accident report from the Colorado State Patrol describes what happened next. A driver of a truck was driving in the turn lane to turn from Federal onto 63rd. The report says the driver didn't see the pedestrians until it was too late. He swerved to avoid them but hit Moffett with the right front of his Dodge pickup.

Look at the intersection in question:

Link.

Is it just me or does this look like a low traffic area?

Do you see ANY crosswalk? I don't.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Had this man stood by and watched as these people were mowed down by a driver,would he have been cited for failure to render aid?

The way thing are looking in this country.The only way you CAN do something legal,is to become a cop. They seem to be above the law. It reminds me of the old Judge Dredd comics. "I am the LAW"

WE just have to accept the fact that we are just potential perps. in their eyes.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 10:37 AM
link   
I've never met a highway patrol trooper in ANY state that was not a sociopathic Hitler youth type personality. Guarantee that wussy of a trooper would not have done the same for those people. Worthless coward, he should be ticketed for being a moron.

No good deed goes unpunished.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 12:33 PM
link   
I think it is unfortunate that people got hurt . I do agree that the officer gave the ticket because that is what he is hired to do. He was hired to enforce the law and give tickets to people who break it. If he was hired not to enforce the law that would be a waste of money it would seem.
This is just one tragic event. I hope they recover.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 01:08 PM
link   
This is unfortunately not isolated. My sister was driving back from Ontario to Nova Scotia a few years ago. She had her husband and two young children in the car. One child was an infant. On the highway the baby dropped his bottle and my sister reached back while driving and at the same time hit the soft shoulder of the highway. She lost control. The Honda Accord they were in flipped three times. Thankfully nobody was seriously injured. The R.C.M.P. issued her a ticket for careless driving. Not only in Canada, eh?

top topics

join