It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do children see ghosts more then we do?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 01:39 PM
link   
We have all heard that children, since their minds are uncluttered, tend to see spirits that we don't. I believe this to be true.

But my toddler is now in the three range where there are monsters everywhere. This is supposed to be a developement phase, and it very well may be. But ...is it possible they are reconging spirits fro what they are?

And now it scares them?

What are your thoughts on children's abilities?

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 01:47 PM
link   
I think that kids are more sensitive to their environment than adults are, and generally lack the language to properly articulate what's going on with them... including perfectly normal stress and confusion that just stems from being a small human in a very large world, sorting out how it all works.

But... I also believe that sensitivity could well include things that we grown-ups might not be aware of. Some of it imaginary, projections of unsorted ideas and a general testing of the rules of reality. Some, though... well...

Yes, I think it's possible. ^^

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Wow, cool topic.

I don't know if kids are naturally scared of these spirits after a certain amount of time, or if they pick up on some negativity towards them from the "real world."

If I ever have kids (looooololol.) I'll probably raise them to be friends with the monsters and things, make sure they aren't exposed to any "bad ghost" ideas. If their friends tell them about scary monsters and things, I will do my best to counteract this idea. So, haha, I'll let you know if I ever succeed with that.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 02:00 PM
link   
read Jim Tucker's "Life before life". great book about the children ability to remember the previous life they had. well done research with a lot examples given. after few years all of them are loosing those memories. there is something about it. 100% worth studies.
take care

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 02:07 PM
link   
My son who is now 3 has seen my wife and my family's relatives that have passed on.
i remember hearing him talking to people in his room when he was 1 and half or so. He had just woken up from a nap and was talking and laughing. I went in to get him and he was pointing to different areas of his room. He wanted me to see what he was seeing so he placed his hands on my face and turned my head. I told him that I couldn't see them but to tell everyone Hi. There must of been 3 'people' in his room and as they started to leave my son showed me by pointing his finger to the doorway.

There was another moment last year when we would sit around the table for dinner and every other night or so he would point towards our kitchen and say Dora Dora. I told my wife that he is either saying Dora because of the Dora the Explorer cartoon or its my grandmother who had passed on 9 years ago.
We don't have any pictures of my grandmother anywhere in our house. So i wanted to see if my son was seeing my grandmother. We had all went to my Dad's house for dinner one weekend and he has a picture of her sitting on his tv. I took the picture down and asked my son who is this in the picture. He said Dora. My dad's jaw dropped and he asked us how he knew her name. I said, I guess she makes it a point to visit and what better way to prove any disbeliever by teaching him her name

My son has illustrated the same thing towards my wife's father who passed on 5 years ago. When he was close to a picture of him, he would point to his picture and say that it was 'Popo' which means grandpa in our family.

We never cast any fear into it because we know that its a very special gift for any child to be able to see family members that have passed on.

[edit on 17-2-2009 by enrage]

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 02:13 PM
link   
My son has done stuff too.

My bil passed away five years ago. I see my son talking to people all the time. My bil looked like my husband of course.

I was close to my bil. we used to chat all the time in the kitchen. My son was saying I am scared. It was just us two home. And I said why? He said daddy is in the kitchen. i said what? He said I am scared. (you know three year olds, you go through things several times, LOL)
I said why? He said daddy is standing in the kitchen. I told him to show me where. And we walked into the kitchen, and he pointed to the very spot my BIL used to stand when he would talk to me while I was cooking.

I told him Hi

Apparently I freaked my mother out once because we were walking through a cemetary (we are both cemetary buffs) and I was only 2. I suddenly stopped at a stone, and said, I knew him, he was shot. My mother looked at the stone and it was a WWII vet.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

It is my belief that children see more than most adults as they haven't been taught yet by most adults that they can't see what most others don't see. They also seem to hear what most adults learn to tune out because it isn't considered normal and might just mean you are crazy by some peoples standards. Or even evil by some religions.

To them its a normal part of life. As children grow most adults seem to have a talent for destroying their ability in the belief that they see things. Or that if you can't touch something it doesn't exists.

Yes children also can sense or feel the energy coming off what they see or hear that most others can't see.

If your three year old isn't exposed to lots of horror movies or cartoons where everything not like us in form or substance is evil/bad then I would say she senses that negitive energy about what she sees.

If she does watch a lot of these kinds of shows than I would say she is being influenced by what she learns from these shows. Which in time she would probably stop seeing anything for what you don't like you wish would go away.

Just my thoughts.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by napayshni57

No, we are pretty strict about the scary stuff.I even worry about some cartoons.
We have even been accussed of being overly cautios, lol.

Unfortunately with capable sometimes there is a scary scene but I quickly pass it.

But I do worry that if it is isn't a developemental thing, what he might be seeing. I keep thinking of the sixth sense.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 02:48 PM
link   
When I was a child of five, I awoke in the middle of the night. Although the curtains were drawn it must have been a full moon because the room wasn't very dark. I couldn't sleep. I imagined a man standing in the middle of my bedroom. The next day I told my mother, I'd seen an old man in my room. My Grandad had died that night and neither of us knew until the next day.

From time to time she mentions it. From my point of view, it's an early memory and I can't honestly say if I made it up, imagined it or whatever. I remember being confused at the time as to whether I had or hadn't lied. If it wasn't for the timing of it, I'd say I made it up. I've never been sure.

My rational, skeptical side sees no evidence for spirits and therefore no exception for children seeing spirits. We've all been children and we all have or know children. Do they or you talk about or remember ghost sightings? I can win arguments about the non-existence of ghosts. I can't see any point to their existence so they don't exist.

In spite of this, I've experienced things that don't add up. These have happened whilst wide awake, sometimes in daylight and without confabulation. I don't read ghost stories or watch horrors. I simply can't explain them.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
What are your thoughts on children's abilities?

I could certainly say that it depends on the children, but there is much more behind. Do you see parallels between your toddler's experiences and yours? If you had any of that kind.

Shall I be honest about monsters? Some people may laugh about spirits, while others call them demons, or have other fancy names for them. No matter what a psychologist says or a doctor of any kind, these things are real. They only give you an opinion. And even if a doctor had seen a spirit too, it is most likely that he/she would never admit it for fear of losing the career.

The kid will most likely have a huge number of flying dreams, possibly get a nice imaginary friend (that isn't imaginary at all). And if it's a really open-minded kid, the spirits will always show up.

Greetings

[edit on 17-2-2009 by TheWriter]

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Maybe this will help you in some way. If she does have a sixth sense which it sounds like she does. It's nothing to be alarmed about.

How you as her parents handle it is what is important. You except the gift she has been given. Not only spirits that are family will be attracted to her. The reason spirits are attracted to her is her energy.

Now even if she is just in a phase of growing up this will help but if she is gifted this is what she really needs to know. She is the one with the power they have no power that we don't give to them.

When I say power we give to them is emotional energy. If she has a gift her energy is strong. The negitive will feel her energy and be drawn to it. If she is afraid then they feel a similar energy that they themselves have and draw from it.

What you have to teach her is she is their worst nightmare if they are bad. She has the power to send them away. Teach her she is stronger than them they can't hurt her but she can make them go away.

As she grows older and gets out into the world like preschool you might find that her mind gets so occupied with friends and learning that she stops seeing them.

If it is a gift how you handle it and except it, is important to how she deals with it if it don't go away.

what I've told you didn't come from books or psychics but from personal experience.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 07:43 PM
link   
I do believe toddlers and small children do see and feel more then adults. There minds are more open to those kinds of things. It is simply allowing your mind to see these kind of things. For people who arent small children anymore, you have to train your mind. I would suggest meditating. It really helps releave stress and relax the body. But yea, i believe younger people are able to see more.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 07:49 PM
link   
You know,my youngest boy is 5,and since he was three he has described a blonde haired lady that visits him at night and he gets scared.It doesn't happen alot,but enough to get me and my wifes attention.

I try to explain to him he is only dreaming,but I have to wonder.He describes the lady the same every time.

Anyone else have children that describe something similar?

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 09:21 PM
link   
yes, i believe that children are more prone to paranormal experiences/extra sensory perception. I believe Picasso said it best, "All children are artists. The problem is how to remain an artist once he grows up." it's simply a matter of acceptance and the ability to believe in something in which there is no proof of its existence.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 10:09 PM
link   
My I suggest the next time it happens ask your son what is it exactly that scares him about the lady.

Is it because he knows no one is suppose to be in the room.

Is it because he doesn't know who she is?

Is it something that he feels about her that makes him afraid.

When I was a child I saw family members. When my grandmother died I was old enough to understand when you die you are gone. So it scared me that I saw a woman I knew wasn't alive. Until that time I never associated them as dead people. My mothers response was "Your grandmother would never hurt you".

I don't see family members anymore it's like it was a progression to get you use to seeing nonpeople..thats what I call them since everyone doesn't seem to be able to see them and try not to offend those that associate angels with only christain beliefs and are antichristian.

I have one now that has been with me for years. The clothes may vary but the face is always the same. This one acts like a gaurdian angel so thats what I call him. No wings though lol.

He has protected me, taken care of me when sick , and warns me of dangers in my path. This maybe what your son has with the blonde lady. Until you find out why he is scared of her you won't really know.

[edit on 17-2-2009 by napayshni57]

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 10:27 PM
link   
My son has seen things also, from the time he was 4 (when my mother, his Nana died). I have always talked openly with him to expand his interpretations and understand what he "saw" in terms that he could explain. I had told him that she's his guardian angel now and will watch over him forever, so do not be frightened.

He has claimed that he walked with her, her deceased dog and my deceased father (which my son never got to meet) in the woods and talked. He told me what my mother was wearing and what they talked about.

Another morning when he was 5, he woke up in his room and I saw him staring out his bedroom window. After a bit he came out of his room and told me he saw "blue smoke" blowing from the right to the left, but it was not there when I looked out the window. He told me, she's gone now.

I believe that children can see things, feel things and know things; but that it's all about how the adults react as to whether they can retain that open mind or not.

I know I had a re-occuring dream over the years, and asked my mother if it was true. She didn't remember anything I said as happening, and I believe it was a memory of a past life. My mom also thought it could have been. It has stayed with me as a memory for over 25 years now.

Our minds are powerful, it's just the way we are.

A_L

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 10:32 PM
link   
I just think kids are more prone to make things up to get attention.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 11:28 PM
link   
I asked my boy before if the lady looked mean or did she look nice.He said she looked nice,and she smiles at him.

I think it scares him because he knows what a ghost is,Only he thinks they are all bad.(mostly from some of the cartoons he watches,go figure).I don't know if he is dreaming this or if its the real deal.

One time we heard him crying at night,and went in his room to check on him.He was sitting up in bed and he was pointing to a corner in his room saying that a lady was standing there.Then he said when my wife and I came in she left.

I just tell my wife its night terrors so she don't get freaked out,but sometimes I wonder.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 02:20 AM
link   
Great topic!

My little son can see souls, but he can't talk about it, because he is very ill. but i can see souls too, and when I see a soul in my rooms, he looks in the same place and try to talk in his own language. he try to play with them.
My other son has seen things in the past, but now he is 8 years old and has explain me that it is only his own fantasy. Maybe it is better that children believe that the things they see are fantasys or dreams.

I really believe that imaginary friends of childrens are souls.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 02:38 AM
link   
Kids I think vibrate at a different frquency to us.
I dont really see anything now, but as a young'un I was either suffering a mental problem, or I could see them. When I had hormonal changes as a teenager it all stopped, not sure of the connection? But it literally stopped then and there.

I would talk to my dad about things his mother had said and what she wanted him to do, or how they played together when he was young, and he would look at me ashen faced. He saw his mother decapitated before him in World War II when he was 9. The memories he had of her I would chat with him about.
He never told us how she died, or even spoke of her, as it was such a trauma (and still is) for him. I can barely remember it, he brings it up rarely and says that he only believes she is in spirit because of me.
Thats sweet.
I just wish I could remember it more. He tells me that he never told me she was dead, I just use to think that I was spending time with my Grandma.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join