It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is ATS not blocked by my employer?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Every single social networking site or discussion forum without exception is banned by my employer's Internet content filtering software, but ATS is not.

Just makes me wonder how the site is categorized in such a way as to "beat" the filter?

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 01:28 PM
link   
ATS's code is not recognized by Surf Blocking applications as a social networking or a forum website.

I own an IT firm with a very strong Surf Blocker for my employees and general computer labs and they are still able to get to ATS. It appears on my system as an alternative news website.

That's just what I see on my end here, it might be different thing for you.

Any mods or site owners have some insight?

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Retseh

To block a site, the site's domain or URL must be put into the routers, manually entered. Perhaps your network admin is not aware of ATS.

But why question it? I wouldnt say a word about it so you can enjoy ATS while working.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Offhand, I'd say that the Terms & Conditions of this website go a long way to making it a 'safe' site.

It would be interesting to hear of another reason why your workplace would allow it.

Maybe the boss is a member here?

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 01:59 PM
link   
cause you should be working....

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 02:06 PM
link   
ATS isn't blocked where I work, but BTS is. We use Websense that filters and blocks any and all forums and bulletin boards. ATS gets through, but BTS never does....no matter what I do to try to get around it.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 08:29 PM
link   
ATS is in fact blocked at my employers firewall.

I have a way around this, but for the record, it is functionally blocked.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 02:04 AM
link   
I work outdoors, no computers.
Guess if I did have an office job, I'd sneak on ATS too much, get fired, and be back outdoors anyways!

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 03:39 AM
link   
Sites like myspace and facebook are blocked but ATS/BTS is not blocked. In fact most bulletin board forums are not blocked.

A lot of the ads however, are blocked.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 05:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Retseh

Ssshhh dont tell my employer, I too can get on ATS

However I do have a problem with the BIG BLACK screen!!! Its such a give away and the smiley icons at the side do SHOUT forum some what. Lets just say I use the minimise button ALOT! I keep my posts to breaks anyway..(most of the time
) so really I see no problem. Just dont abuse your employers trust and everyone is happy.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 05:47 AM
link   
Where I work, I used to be able to get onto ATS and BTS at work, but new filtering software - websense, which another poster has mentioned was brought in and this blocked them both.

However, I asked the IT support guys if they could unblock ATS for me seeing as I needed it for 'work purposes' and they said no problem.

Therefore, I have ATS at work, despite the filters blocking it orginally.

Wooooo.

BTS is still blocked though. Haven't asked them about that.

Peace,

MGGG

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 04:05 PM
link   
This is largely due to our efforts at not allowing posts about illegal or recreational drugs/use, no foul language and the fact we routinely audit the site through the vast majority of these filtering suites to make sure we are not getting unfairly blocked.

We have had to challenge quite a few of these suites and ultimately won the day by tediously proving to the admin that they were restricting us for misunderstood things that were much more prevalent (in one case) on CNN.com than ATS.

Bottom line... When you depend on advertising, based on traffic, for 100% of your revenue you simply have to do the work and keep it clean.

Springer...

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 04:42 PM
link   
May I thank you for your efforts in keeping ATS as open as possible.
Sometimes I think we forget what goes on behind the scenes.

My lunch time just would not be the same without my daily dose of ATS.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 10:42 PM
link   
I work at Wal-Mart. No ATS surfing for me, we don't even have Internet access. Of course, if there was a mobile version of ATS available I could get on from my phone. Or if I started taking my laptop to work, I could use the external 3G modem capability that my phone has... But then I have to worry about somebody stealing my laptop. :-///

join