It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GREED: a nasty little five letter word

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 10:58 PM
link   
the american society has ultimately sunk to the lowest of levels. Governmental,corporate, and sports dominate our interests and command the biggest dollars. Entertainment too. Sadly, if you do not fit into these categories you probably will not fit into this system.

GREED is an unsustainable option, one which only enables someone to dominate another, and further their their goals.

human nature dictates we are brothers on this walk of life,

can we cast aside this love of money and trivial pursuits and walk in peace.

If not I would have to assume it's done

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by huntergatherer
the american society has ultimately sunk to the lowest of levels. Governmental,corporate, and sports dominate our interests and command the biggest dollars. Entertainment too. Sadly, if you do not fit into these categories you probably will not fit into this system.

GREED is an unsustainable option, one which only enables someone to dominate another, and further their their goals.

What you call greed, others call working hard to achieve prosperity.

Can you name a classless society?

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Go ahead hit your IGNORE button button I'll gaurantee we would not be in this financial mess if not for GREED.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by stevegmu

greed I find to be excessive consumption at the expense of others. There is a difference between someone who is providing a needed service for a community and someone who is in a place of power and is more than willing to sacrifice the happiness of others in order to meet their own goals.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 11:17 PM
link   
making 25mil playing baseball per year while using performance drugs urks my ass.To me the key word is "playing" not working like the rest of us do.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Greed can also be defined as wanting more than what one needs. Assuming that is true, one could live in a shack, wear a burlap sack and eat bread, a few vegetables and drink water. That would be all they need, anything else could be considered greed.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 11:22 PM
link   

You are of course absolutely right.

The only hope is, that the bottom has finally been reached, and the only way to go
from here, is up! Again!

And hope also that our children, and our children's children, when they grow up, will
be so much wiser than a large part of the current generations turned out to be!

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by huntergatherer

So would you feel better if the sports starts would only get paid 40 thousand a year, while the owners of the team get filthy rich?

Or would you complain about how the baseball players aren't getting paid enough while the team owners making 100's of millions of dollars?

Greed is a human trait that will always be around, there is noway around it.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 11:40 PM
link   
I'm sick and tired of this GREED stuff . Let's cap all salaries for any individual at 500k and if you can't make it on that then tough #$%^%.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 11:49 PM
link   

THAT would be the core meaning of greed.

It’s not even about wanting a lot or wanting more than one can have and certainly not about working hard to get what one wants or needs. It’s about domination, making sure that others don’t have. But what can I say? In a world of fierce competition, you’re definitely going to have greed.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 11:58 PM
link   
I take it you guys have never looked up the definition of greed, if you think it has anything to do with controlling others, when it simply means wanting more stuff than one needs.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 12:07 AM
link   
let me ask this you intellectual geniouses, do you have better insights or ideas to right ship.If not man the lifeboats and hope for resque on these frigid seas.

deep doodoo is here.Faint of heart need not apply.

you like sports, step up to the plate. bases are loaded swing batter swing

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 12:16 AM
link   
People define their happiness relative to the (perceived) positions of other people around them.

A man with two coconuts in a tribe where everyone else has one coconut feels like a king. Conversely, a millionaire in a room full of billionaires feels like a loser.

One of the problems we are facing as a society is that the people we compare ourselves to in terms of deciding if we have "enough" or not are no longer the people in our small villiages or the circle of acquaintences around us. With people increasingly isolated from those physically close to them YET AT THE SAME TIME saturated with the media and Internet, etc., people are comparing themselves to top atheletes, billionaires, famous actors and actresses, etc. They increasingly feel like losers in comparison: poor, ugly, and weak. We can see this particularly in the young generation's obsession with FAME. FAME and EXTREME WEALTH have become the only way people have of feeling good about themselves.

The cure is to take a step back, recognize this issue, spend more time with real people, and spend less time in an artificial media fog. We've got to consciously work to uproot the extreme greed that this sick system instills in everyone, and seek new ways to feel good about ourselves that don't involve money or posessions.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 12:36 AM
link   
It's late this topic will be history soon. please dont assume it will be forgotton. Changes will be necessary to insure our lifestyles remain as wanted.Sacrifices at all levels must be made by all to keep our country intact. Failure to do this will hasten our demise and commit us to neverending heartache.

Let us embark on a path where our chilldren will grow and thrive in a forest where all are on the same page and GREED is finally"a thing of the past

PEACEhg"

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 12:46 AM
link   
My idea to fix it is to just let nature take its course. Let the big banks fail, let the economy fail.

We the people are most at fault for letting this happen. We keep voting for what politicians will do for us, which allows them to take more from us to please us.

It seems like almost nobody is happy with what they have these days. People are always wanting more or trying to keep up with the Jones.

All of this is inherently our fault because we failed to right the system by voting out career politicians that only care about their own self serving interest.

We allowed government to intervene too much and stack the deck against us. The best thing to do is let the whole system collapse. The monetary system the political system everything just gone.

Everybody then will be on an equal playing field. Then everyone will realize that a Republic and Freedom must be maintained and not be subject to manipulation by slick talking crooks.

Further more we have to pass this knowledge down through the generations and outcast anybody trying to revision the history.

It won't ever happen though people don't want to give up their American Idols or their Starbucks. Most people would rather give up their freedom to keep meaningless things.

Me I would rather be poor and scrounging for food and be free than live on my knees as a slave.

Only until everybody is in the same boat can we rebuild our Republic and get government out of our lives.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Go ahead hit your IGNORE button button I'll gaurantee we would not be in this financial mess if not for GREED.
I have to agree with you. Greed led us down this path, and I still don't see an end.

How much is enough? You can't take it with you, but I think some greedy people think you can. Money still equals power, and that's what most of the ultra rich want, POWER. There are exceptions.

We, as a society need rich people, we don't need greedy power hungry people. After a couple of dozen million, what more does a family need? They are taken care of, as are their children and grand children, if they do things right. No one needs a 10 million dollar home. Whats wrong with the 4000 square foot home down the street? Why a 20,000 square foot home?

I just watched the pbs special about Bill Gates. He drives himself to work in a Ford Focus or something similar. Company ethics aside, this man does things right with his money.

top topics

join