It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Enough IS ENOUGH!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 03:54 AM
link   
As I write this it's freak'n 4:50 am. This has been going on now for roughly 3 nights. I just can't sleep until around 6 am! I just DO NOT feel tired. I've gotten into such a bad sleep pattern. I have a rather large family and I feel like they're looking down on me like I'm some vampire or deadbeat (I don't think Im either). They have that early to rise mentality and it's not like I have work or school this semester because I had to get surgery, but still...It's not like we live on a farm....
Are there any supplements I can take or therapies to help with sleep? I usually end up sleeping at 6 am to like 3/3 30 pm....its frustrating.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Have you tried over the counter sleeping pills?
Make sure you take them at least 8 hours before you want to get up...and expect to be a bit groggy...

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Oh goodness i know how you feel, I suffer bouts of this all the time,

I end up having to stay up for a good 24 hours just to get a sleep the next night,

i think out of 7 days i only end up sleeping 5 nights, I have tried everything from over the counter pills to warm baths, jogging ect ect ect,

I hate to go to the doc as i try to stay away from meds as much as possible,

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Same with my wife...but sleeping pills don't seem to work for her, or so she says... Me? I go to sleep like a log, and wake up exactly at 6am (give or take 1-2 minutes) each morning. Doesn't mean I "get" up around that time, but that's when I wake up...like clockwork...(which of course, unnerves her to no end, hehe...)

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Thanks for the help. I'm going to look into those sleeping pills. I just don't want any prescriptions medications because I used to be on those for sleeping and you eventually get to the point until you are weened off where it's like you can't sleep at all without them. I actually didn't get to sleep until 6 am last night or....uh morning. I just got up now at 7 50 pm and I might just stay up through the night and next day so I can go to bed at like 9 pm. Although then I'd miss Lost. Thank god there's an abc.com

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 08:17 PM
link   
I use a homemade catnip tincture when I get like this, you should be able to find some at a health food store.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by asmeone2

What exactly is that? is it something I'll need to prepare? Like a food?

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 03:56 AM
link   
You can try melatonin. It is the hormone that tells the body to sleep.
Do a busy day all day. Exercise, stay busy, eat three balanced meals.
about 30 minutes before bedtime take melatonin and then a hot bath or shower to raise your body temperature.
When you go to bed try to get the room as cool as is comfortable for you.
Make sure the room is absolutely dark.
Have a fan or white noise in room as loud as comfortable.
No caffeine, b vitamins all day. Very little protein at dinner.
No alcohol- interferes with sleep state.

This does many things.

1. makes you naturally tired (full day with exercise)
2. keeps your blood sugar from crashing so you dont go to sleep early . (regular meals)
3.puts extra sleep hormone (melatonin) into your system.
4. Prevents the wake up signal to your body (no light absolutely dark)
5. prevents intrusions into your sleep (white noise) covers up noises that wake you.
6. uses your bodies natural temperature reduction to push your system into a sleep state. Your body cools on falling asleep. (Hot shower cool bed room)
7. avoids stimulants or metabolic increase. (Caffeine, protein, b-vitamins.)
8. avoids interrupted REM state (no alcohol. interferes with deep sleep)

That might be enough to start with.
Good luck.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 04:05 AM
link   
I was the worst insomniac ever. I went for almost a week at many times without sleep..

I tried valerian, and just about every other over the counter possible. i worked out til I couldn't move... Still didn't sleep.

What worked, melatonin, as an above poster said. Melatonin changed my life. I don't know if I lack it chemically or am overly sensitive to it, but one pill put me OUT. I mean, I slept like a baby.

Its safe too.. It may not work, I think my body reacts much more obviously to it than most.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 04:23 AM
link   
5 23 am as I write this!
I'm going to get my hands on some melatonin tomorrow and hope everything works out!

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 10:02 AM
link   
i feel your pain. i am going through a bout of insomnia right now. i just can't sleep at all. i am sure i get an hour or maybe 2 per night cause the body does need rem sleep but i am tired all the time. i go through about a month bout of insomnia and then for about 3 months i am fine. then the cycle starts all over again. it is terrible and i hate it. i really don't know what to do except grind it out.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by NativeAmerican
reply to post by asmeone2

What exactly is that? is it something I'll need to prepare? Like a food?

It's made out of herbs that have been soaked in alcohol (I use vodka) for about 2 weeks, then strained. You take about 5-10 drops under your tongue. Here's a picture of a commercial line of tinctures:

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 10:32 AM
link   
try an over the counter melatonin. I swear it works like a charm!!!!

It's an natural chemical produced by the body and is not harmful.

Take the recommended dose about 1/2 hour before a normal "bed time" and you will be back on track in no time.

I am a chronic insomniac and my sleep pattern is always getting off track like yours...can't shut my mind off and I lay awake thinking, then give up sleep and wind up back on the computer or puttering around the house.

My pattern is pretty much the same as yours.

I used to get zopiclone for emergency. But it makes me feel wonky in the morning and the metalic taste and dry mouth are disgusting.

Melatonin is sold over the counter in the states and you should be able to get some no problem. It has no side effects as it's not actually a drug, but a naturally occurring chemical compound generated by the brain to induce sleep.

I sometimes have a nice cup of warm milk too with it, I know it's a wive's tale that warm milk induces sleep but it's a comfort thing.

I had to get some melatonin for this bout of insomnia...stress level has been high. 2 days now asleep by 1 am and up at 8am which is a heck of a lot better.

Give it a try.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Hah! I do the same thing, but I actualy DO live on a farm. Not really a farm, but in the middle of the woods. Like miles down a dirt road...

Yeah... usually what i do is just stay up for an entire day. Instead of waking up at 3pm Ill sleep even later to about 4 or even 6pm. Then instead of going back to sleep at 5am the next day, I just continue to stay up intill around 6 or 7pm then I will go back to sleep.

When I do that, I usually wake up at around 8 in the mourning the next day. The habbit is broken!

I find that meditation works alittle bit. Meditate before going to bed or right before you want to go to bed. Makes you have lucid dreams too.

Anyway. I think your main problem is having no life. Obviously you dont because if you did, you wouldnt be sleeping to 3 pm. So get a hobbie man, find a job, do something. Have something you can look foward to the next day. So you actually want to wake up.

I dont think you need pills or anything like that. I will be willing to bet that melatonin you are going to try is only going to make matters worse.

[edit on 19-2-2009 by Wisen Heimer]

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 04:38 AM
link   
Just wanted to say this supplement is a sleep saver!

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 05:28 AM
link   
I just might try that too... my body just does NOT want to go to sleep before midnight, even though I have to get up early for work in the morning... it drives me nuts! :bnghd:

My brain just does not want to shut down. I will see if I can get it over the counter here in NZ.

Cheers

MW31

new topics

top topics

join