It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Banning wood stoves in new home construction

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 09:58 PM
link   
I like how they stress the "health" issue in a big city with so many

Oh and the cars on the street?

funny how this department is so interested in the LITTLE BIT of wood burning in a City to the ratio of Natural Gas heating, while at the same time we watch "glass" condo's go up not following codes like A.S.H.R.A.E. 90.1 (in short maintaining the glass to wall ratio can't go past 50% glass double plane).

It's nice to see how they have time for our health concerns over wood burning.

Y'r Wood burning Canadian friend,
Sven

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 10:06 PM
link   
not sure where i saw it (yahoo i think) due to enormous fuel oil and gas prices and the cold winter here in the us more and more people were turning to wood and coal for heating. i for 1 installed one this summer.but certain towns were talking about outlawing them because they say to many people will create to much pollution. so lets think about this- in the us- california and florida mostly- i would bet that the wildfires they get put out more soot and ash than all homeowners in america who burn wood combined. how bad are the pollutants from cars? worse than wood or coal. the reason for it is because wood is FREE. the only taxes i pay to burn wood is the gas and oil i use in my chainsaw and truck to get it. so of course they want to control that- they are losing tax dollars. and if my electric goes out i can just throw some more coal and wood in and be toasty because my furnace needs electric to run

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by resistor

Originally posted by resistor
My, that’s quite an… arm on that guy.

I demand your home address where I may deliver the bill for a new flat screen monitor and keyboard, which are now thoroughly covered in coffee!!!!

It took me a second to follow what you meant, but when I did....well you now know the rest.

Damn you!

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 03:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by loam
reply to post by resistor

Originally posted by resistor
My, that’s quite an… arm on that guy.

I demand your home address where I may deliver the bill for a new flat screen monitor and keyboard, which are now thoroughly covered in coffee!!!!

It took me a second to follow what you meant, but when I did....well you now know the rest.

Damn you!

I love it when a good conspiracy comes together. My brother in law just happens to run a computer shop around the corner from you.

BUAHAHAHAHAH!!!!

It's laugh or cry sometimes with these stories, ya know?

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 04:26 AM
link   
I put a wood stove in my little old house 9 years ago, and shut the
nasty, noisey, inefficient gas furnace off...

As a tree man, I take my pick of the choicest woods to bring home to cut & split for fuel, like oak, walnut, ash, & especially chokecherry. Smells wonderful. Neighbors always compliment me on the aroma.

About 6 yrs ago, town took a vote about banning; but lost. Too many of us heat our homes with wood!

Just make it to those local board meetings, when an issue arises, democracy still present locally...

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by FRIGHTENER

lucky you- ido construction so i get scrap wood and trees that have been felled. my fave is apple- my god that smells so good. cedar has a great aroma also just have to watch how much you burn since it is an evergreen.
i burn coal when it is really cold out but it is hard to keep burning. but it is cheap and puts out some serious heat! personally i am lazy after work but i do love running a chainsaw and splitting wood so i don't mind the extra work- it is worth it on those cold days you come home from spending all day in the cold and throw some logs on the fire- it is such a soothing warmth and smells so good. plus it is a renewable resource. maybe the next thing we know we will have ss types running around with sledgehammers breaking up chimneys. good luck to them on that!

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Modern woodstoves burn quite efficiently and heat better than the old style stoves of even 30 years ago. When I lived in Seattle we would have burn bans because the pollutants in the air would get trapped by the mountains and just hang around like smog. I don't know if its the particulate matter in the wood smoke that makes it different than car and industrial exhaust, but there were times when it smelled like a big campfire but not like car exhaust.

I wouldn't be caught dead without a backup heating system in the north country.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Def. got a point with the different smoke types and the effects.

There are pictures on the net' of "smog" from cities without wood fireplaces.

And you are correct on the efficiency on wood burning appliances today.
Not to mention the "pellets" they are even sold as a green-alternative.

Like one poster noted on the smoke output on Masonary Stoves, not to mention they can cook food at the same time and heat your domestic hot water (def. no furnace on the market that can cook pizza and feed the shower)

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 12:56 PM
link   
absolutely ridiculous! if they had any common sense they would come up with a more environmentally sound and reasonably priced alternative before trying to put a ban on burning wood. meanwhile a crapload of us are still driving around in our 18mpg trucks and suvs that spew out monumental amounts of pollutants every single day. so stupid.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by svenglezz
And you are correct on the efficiency on wood burning appliances today.
Not to mention the "pellets" they are even sold as a green-alternative.

Yeah my mother and stepfather back home burn the pellets, it is practically smokeless and gets their big 2 story house cooking!

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 07:17 PM
link   
my friend has a pellet stove and yes it does cook his house up. however in order for the pellet stove to work it has to have electricity- just like a furnace. now what happens when the power goes out? that is why we were discussing wood. all i need is a match and some tinder or i want to go tribal some flint. and in even a not so efficient wood stove if you burn good seasoned hardwood it produces very little smoke as long as it is hot enough. and anthracite coal produces even less pollutants thanwood- bituminous is the one to stay away from

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by stevegmu
I read somewhere San Francisco is trying to ban the use of fire places.

Fair enough in a place built out of wood..

Here in france the axes will keep swinging and the chainsaws buzzing.

Stop us if you dare.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 11:34 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfoot1212

Star for reply! and thanks!

Yeah, apple is real good, I add it to some Hickory chunks in my smoker, too, for any pork chops or baby-back ribs! MMmmmm!

You are so right about the soothing warmth radiating from a woodburner...absolutely hypnotizing coming in from the cold! No furnace or electric heater can thaw one's bones like that!

Next thing I'm contemplating, is a larger woodburner, connected via piping throughout a concrete slab! Already seen a couple. You can walk around bare-foot, in the house, 10 below zero outside, with roasty feet!!! Ahhhhhhh.

I loves me chainsaws too! Just got a new Speeco 30-ton splitter! What a BEAST! Much faster & more powerful than my old MTD 25-ton!

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Masonry stoves are indeed great. They are quite common in parts of Europe and are starting to catch on in the US.

Pellet stoves are the most efficient way to burn wood, You can buy your own pellet mill and make pellets out of all sorts of things from sawdust, to straw, to cardboard. Pretty much any solid bio-mass. I know people who make pellets out of cow manure. The drawback is that pellet stoves need a bit of electricity to run the auger that feeds the pellets into the flame, and the blower that keeps the flame hot, much like a blacksmiths forge. You could probably set that up to run on solar charged batteries as the load is not much.

The obvious solution to the problem, if they do indeed try to enforce a ban on burning wood, is to simply start burning Politicians to heat the home.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 01:30 AM
link   
I'll wager oil and propane corporations have a hand in this. Maybe they should outlaw camp fires too, that way everybody can roast their marshmallows around an oil burner so they don't miss out on any extra profits.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 01:43 AM
link   
I remember the ice storm we went through a ways back.

Two things kept us heated during that... our Kerosene heater, and our wood stove. (And the kerosene heater only lasted 6 hours before we were out of fuel.)

If they ban wood stoves in this climate, they had better have a viable alternative ready for when next winter hits.

(And it had better be paid for out of their own income)

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 02:17 AM
link   
Just to throw more fuel on the fire

Modern “cleanburn” wood burning stoves are now suitable in “smokeless zones” in many parts of Europe – and burning (the right type and seasoned) wood is considered carbon neutral because growing replacement wood absorbs the same amount of carbon etc etc – and hence sustainable --
whereas fossil fuels (all coal, gas, and indirectly through non-nuclear and non hydro power stations - most electric) are releasing “trapped" carbon into the atmosphere which cannot easily be stored again.

THEREFORE – a modern cleanburn wood burning stove, and properly managed forestry, and correctly seasoning the wood – is considered the most environmentally friendly and sustainable heating solution – and they are on the verge of introducing carbon taxes – and wood burning on a modern stove is one of the least taxed – electric the most !

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 05:26 AM
link   
"They" will try out stories like this to test public reaction imo.

They'll try it with LOTS of things and at the end of the day push the ones that create the result: conflict or control. It also allows them to slip things past while focuses are drawn elsewhere.

Say NO to MOST of them!

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by loam
With all of the available targets, it's hard to reconcile how this one came to the top of the list.

I suppose your government will eventually mandate the purchase of long-johns:

Good luck with that.

*wavy*

[edit on 9-2-2009 by loam]

Thanks I've never seen the Real Long John before,that would be him lying down right?
Well he sure looks like a Long John.

Zelong.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Lobbyists again.
Man I think every government in the world is totally owned.
Obviously they want to ban these, because the fuel is free.
And the energy company's will pay them to ban them.
So if you want to get warm, you have to pay!
Scammers.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join